Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It might be too much money but his last 3 years (and this one coming up) which has already included two trips to the conference finals and a career playoff .928 save % he played for relatively cheap. It's almost as if we've gotten the discount part of his career on the front end and now he wants to be paid.

Apart from Igor himself and going forward the only really big ticket guy we have on the horizon is Lafreniere. Other than that any other big ticket guys would come via trade or free agency and most of the elite players around the league are locked up with huge deals before they even reach free agency. So one question becomes do you just let an elite player leave (and they're damned hard to replace) and it seems most here say yes. Another question is how manageable would it be if he stayed and if the cap continues to increase it will be more manageable. There's a bit of damned if you do and damned if you don't in either case.

....and it's not personal even if some here think it's personal to them. It's business or the way of doing business as the NHL has evolved its business since the Cap came into being.

I'm kind on the fence. I also don't think he'll be easy to trade. What would we get back for a guy determined to get paid those kinds of $'s and what teams out there could afford to do that? What if we don't find a buyer? What if he decides to sit it out until he gets his ask? What if he takes his act back to Russia? and we end up without a starting goalie and no return for him either. If he doesn't get paid his number by the Rangers he's not likely to accept anything less from anyone else either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Everyone already has their starting goaltender. I'm sure there are teams who would love an upgrade, but they might also be on his no trade list. Beyond that, any team that trades for him will do so with the expectation of re-signing him. Which team will be willing to give him 12 mil?

Maybe one of Seattle or Anaheim would be an option, but we'd be taking back Grubauer or Gibson in those scenarios, and Anaheim would likely be on Shesty's list in any case. Are our chances really better with Grubauer or Gibson and whatever cap savings they provide us? Certainly not this year, as both make more than Shesty currently. Going forward, probably not either.

The cap should continue to go up and Panarin, Trouba and Kreider, who make a combined 26.1 mil, will either be re-signed or replaced for less than they make now.

I don't want to pay Shesty 12 mil either. I don't want to pay him 11 mil. But thus far, no one has come up with a better solution.
He will ultimately come around IMO. Maybe it will be $11.3-$11.5 number. Drury hasn't played his main “Yzerman” cards yet: $11m from the Rangers corresponds to $12.6m from other teams on a 7-year deal or over $13 if $11.3 is on the table.
thanks to Igor is selling it very short. We're done in 5 against CAR without him. Florida laughed us off the ice and Igor pulling miracles couldn't save us. We were a fluke Wennberg goal away from an embarrassing exit.
just shortcut it and say it straight that you (and not just you) want another rebuild and be done with it.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
What was Lundqvist's cap hit? Wasn't it 8.5 million and that was how many years ago? Extrapolating that to todays market ....is 3-4 mil more really that unrealistic with the cap going up and Trouba off the books after the season?

11.5 - 12 mill per for Shesterkin may not be awful for someone who will likely be more decorated than Lundqvist when it's all said and done. Maybe that's just the bias in me as an avid Shesterkin fan.
Sure but when you look at the goalie market - it doesn't make sense.

Hellebuyck just signed 8.5x7. How much better is Igor than Helly?

Also - Trouba coming off the books likely won't be enough.

Assume Igor 12x8. Trouba traded. Assume even 92.5M Cap.

Roughly, Miller 5.85x5 (may be even more)
Lafreniere 8.5x8 (may be even more)
Cuylle 2.2x2
Rempe and Edstrom squeezed around 1M each
Perreault signed and inserted into Top 6 right away (unlikely)
Mancini in, Garand in at 900K

You have less than $5M to fill 2 LD spots and 3RW. You're relying on a ton of rookies (Perreault, Mancini, Garand) in key roles, and have less than like $2M per player for 3 key spots. Not ideal. Kakko is also gone in this situation, or Chytil. Both will be more expensive to replace than their current values.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
Thought this was funny on the main board thread…

“This guy has KILLED my Canes the last two meetings in the playoffs. I think he's the best goalie in the NHL, If anyone deserves the top $$ it's him.”

Other teams fans like our best players more than we do.

Reactions: Mandar

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
2+2 doesn’t equal 3. It equals 4. But so does 1+3, 1.5+2.5, etc.

I doubt K’Andre Miller is crying at night with the thought that Igor might make some scrilla, is he an avowed Stalinist or something? The only Leon he knows of is Draisaitl not Trotsky. He understands how the business of hockey or life works.

No but I can guarantee Miller is thinking about his next contract more than he is about winning the Stanley Cup. He'll soon be joining the ranks of our overpaid underperformers who apparently aren't allowed to be criticized.

Reactions: Daves a mess

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

“This guy has KILLED my Canes the last two meetings in the playoffs. I think he's the best goalie in the NHL, If anyone deserves the top $$ it's him.”

Other teams fans are all working for Igor's agent.

Reactions: Ail

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Sure but when you look at the goalie market - it doesn't make sense.

Hellebuyck just signed 8.5x7. How much better is Igor than Helly?

Also - Trouba coming off the books likely won't be enough.

Assume Igor 12x8. Trouba traded. Assume even 92.5M Cap.

Roughly, Miller 5.85x5 (may be even more)
Lafreniere 8.5x8 (may be even more)
Cuylle 2.2x2
Rempe and Edstrom squeezed around 1M each
Perreault signed and inserted into Top 6 right away (unlikely)
Mancini in, Garand in at 900K

You have less than $5M to fill 2 LD spots and 3RW. You're relying on a ton of rookies (Perreault, Mancini, Garand) in key roles, and have less than like $2M per player for 3 key spots. Not ideal. Kakko is also gone in this situation, or Chytil. Both will be more expensive to replace than their current values.
Hellebuck collapses in the playoffs.
Thats shestys argument.
Igor has valid arguments that he should be the highest paid goalie. But not by 2 million plus.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Shesterkin is the best goalie in the league.

He makes the Rangers better.

But signing him to a 12.5x8 deal or even 12x8 deal really hamstrings the team. You can afford 2 of those contracts on your roster. If one of them is a goalie, you really better have a pipeline of cheap talent at F circling in because every time a player graduates to RFA they will price themselves off the team, particularly if you have another guy locked in at a high price.

That's the issue. No one hates Igor. But he is being selfish and he has a right to be, but as a fan of the Rangers, I am allowed to be disappointed that he won't shave off $1M from his ask to agree to stay and try to win a Cup. $10.8-11M is plenty of money. I don't begrudge him the chance to max out his value but if I'm the GM, I let him do it elsewhere.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

We like Shesty.

We don’t like NYR team building strategy

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

The second they cave and give him 12.5x8 they will all say it'll be an albatross contract, typical Rangers, blah blah blah

Hellebuck collapses in the playoffs.
Thats shestys argument.
Igor has valid arguments that he should be the highest paid goalie. But not by 2 million plus.
Okay, sure. Well Shesty, Helly got 8.5 so we'll give you 9.5 bc you're good in the playoffs although you haven't won shit either. Sound good?

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Trade seems highly unlikely, hopefully they don’t cave, just go for it and let the year play out. Revisit this in June.

Otherwise, here is a stupid thought…

Chicago-Shesterkin 25% retained, Brennan Othman, Mathew Robertson

NYR-Mrazek 50% retained, Drew Commesso, Nolan Allen, CHI ‘25 1st top 3 protected*, ‘26 2nd.

*if CHI picks in top 3, pick becomes ‘25 2nd and unprotected ’26 1st

Hope Quick and Mrazek can hold the fort this year.

Chi gets Shesterkin for Bedards best years and can add Panarin after next year.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Remember when the Devils won a cup without a franchise goalie?

Remember when the Lightning couldn't win before Vasi?

Remember Florida beating us with Bob?

yeah well but vegas and colorodo.

I guarrantee that their gms wish they had Igor. They would have won 4 in a row.
Ar igors cap hit or cap percentage they might not have won any bc they would have had to move other key pieces out.

Vasi’s first cup was when he was making $6m. Also the team was stacked with stars who did not sign their big deals yet. And it was the two Covid years. Once all the undervalued contracts came about they had to begin gutting their team. And probably wont win another one while he is on that contract.

Bobrovsky isnt in the same league as shesty or vasi. He had a .906 save percentage. Literally his job on Florida was “dont lose”. That florida team was stacked and controlled all the games. He is an above avg goalie at this point, which is really all you need if you build the team correctly.

It’s like having a good team around tbe goalie makes it easier to win. Kinda weird right.

We have tried the “hopefully the goalie steals the series/cup for the last 20 years. It doesnt work. And it wont work with this team, this core if we sign shesty to that contract.

Reactions: Ail

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
We like Shesty.

We don’t like NYR team building strategy
Some have reasonable takes like yourself. There are posters, however, who are telling him to f*** off and that he doesn’t care about winning a Cup…based on a tweet from Kevin Weekes with a SpongeBob background.

I would classify those as…not reasonable.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Shesterkin is the best goalie in the league.

He makes the Rangers better.

But signing him to a 12.5x8 deal or even 12x8 deal really hamstrings the team. You can afford 2 of those contracts on your roster. If one of them is a goalie, you really better have a pipeline of cheap talent at F circling in because every time a player graduates to RFA they will price themselves off the team, particularly if you have another guy locked in at a high price.

That's the issue. No one hates Igor. But he is being selfish and he has a right to be, but as a fan of the Rangers, I am allowed to be disappointed that he won't shave off $1M from his ask to agree to stay and try to win a Cup. $10.8-11M is plenty of money. I don't begrudge him the chance to max out his value but if I'm the GM, I let him do it elsewhere.
What are you willing to give him?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Some have reasonable takes like yourself. There are posters, however, who are telling him to f*** off and that he doesn’t care about winning a Cup…based on a tweet from Kevin Weekes with a SpongeBob background.

I would classify those as…not reasonable.
How is it not reasonable? Players know it's a cap league. The more money you make, the less quality players you can fill in around the roster. Players that are laser-focused on winning a cup take team-friendly deals. Particularly culture-setting franchise players (Crosby, Bergeron). Igor is focused on maxing his value and he'll let the chips fall where they may. It is what it is, it's his right, but it's not unreasonable to say that winning a Cup is secondary to him squeezing out an extra $12M over 8 years.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Well if drury lets him walks and and then is fired by Dolan it would be like we hit a grand slam.

Not only do we not sign an awful contract, but we get rid of an awful Gm.
I'm not even a huge Drury fan, but you really don't know the meaning of the word awful. In three years as GM the team has made the playoffs every year, been to two conference finals, and won the President's Trophy. I get that we all want to get over the hump, but you really have no idea how good we have it if you think there are a lot of better options out there.

Reactions: Takeahnase

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm not even a huge Drury fan, but you really don't know the meaning of the word awful. In three years as GM the team has made the playoffs every year, been to two conference finals, and won the President's Trophy. I get that we all want to get over the hump, but you really have no idea how good we have it if you think there are a lot of better options out there.
He inherited basically this entire team!

He shipped of the only player that can play with our wonder twins.

He traded all our mid round picks for little, nemeth especially was awful.

He coaching choices are questionable, especially.

Best i can say is that he didnt completely f*** it all up.

Other than that, this is still Gortons team

Reactions: tiggles

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
How is it not reasonable? Players know it's a cap league. The more money you make, the less quality players you can fill in around the roster. Players that are laser-focused on winning a cup take team-friendly deals. Particularly culture-setting franchise players (Crosby, Bergeron). Igor is focused on maxing his value and he'll let the chips fall where they may. It is what it is, it's his right, but it's not unreasonable to say that winning a Cup is secondary to him squeezing out an extra $12M over 8 years.
I must have missed the Crosby-led Penguins and the Bergeron-led Bruins have a better campaign than us, last season. Do you know where I can find that footage? After all, it’s a slam dunk to find money ball players growing on trees who win you championships. It’s easy-peasy.

Just sign up some more laser-focused Roslovics and Wennbergs and we’re all set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad