Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Based on what Alvin said I’m seriously wondering whether they are waiting for rosters to be set then waiving Aman and recalling Bains.

I’m probably reading too much into the “we’ll see Wednesday night “

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Based on what Alvin said I’m seriously wondering whether they are waiting for rosters to be set then waiving Aman and recalling Bains.

I’m probably reading too much into the “we’ll see Wednesday night “
I’m thinking he partially said that to soften the blow to Bains a bit, and they might even bring up PDG for game 1 because he’s a trusted veteran and Tocchet’s guy who’ll come out flying.

Reactions: iceburg

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Dhaliwal keeps saying it and Allvin specifically mentioned it today. I'm not a fan at all but I can see it making sense closer to the deadline.

Rumour is Demko will be out till sometime in November now, so it's really hard to say what will happen and I doubt Allvin's comments are worth a bag of rocks. Will really depend obviously on how things play out between Silovs and Lankinen.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
IR not LTIR. I detailed it out yesterday but they could have sent Bains, Raty, and Silovs all down today. IRed Joshua and kept Demko active. Accrue a higher than expect amount of cap space tomorrow, then IR Demko on Wednesday and recall Raty and Silovs. This would have had the Canucks accruing space tomorrow at a 2.165m tomorrow rate rather than 0.48m.

I'm guessing they didn't do this because they value having the complete roster for practice tomorrow.
I am guessing they can paper them down after practice and “call” them up on game day. I guess technically they can do that whenever we are at home.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I am guessing they can paper them down after practice and “call” them up on game day. I guess technically they can do that whenever we are at home.

I’m not entirely sure how it works for practices. Like, that makes sense but also doesn’t. So I’m curious if they do that tomorrow.

Reactions: arttk

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
"-too many teams are risk-averse
-there are teams that are afraid to call other teams because they feel it means they lose leverage; Canucks are not afraid to call
-for example, Walman wasn't shopped around"

He's basically calling out Yzerman. It's how Hronek became a Canuck as well.

On the point of Yzerman though, it’s possible that what they were primarily looking for was the highest draft pick possible and the Canucks had the Islanders pick which at the time was a potential #12-15 pick. They ended up with ASP who some (many?) had ahead of Willander. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a target and getting what you were looking for.

When we were looking to trade Hodgson, Gillis had a list of players he would trade Hodgson straight up for. We were looking for something specific and ended up with Kassian who was on the list.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Hoglander being a proof of concept player-development example to show other young players is not an element I considered
Nah, it’s actually true

He played his way out of Rick’s doghouse last season

On the point of Yzerman though, it’s possible that what they were primarily looking for was the highest draft pick possible and the Canucks had the Islanders pick which at the time was a potential #12-15 pick. They ended up with ASP who some (many?) had ahead of Willander. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a target and getting what you were looking for.

When we were looking to trade Hodgson, Gillis had a list of players he would trade Hodgson straight up for. We were looking for something specific and ended up with Kassian who was on the list.
Possibly

Or it could be that Yzerman is not a good GM

Reactions: Wisp

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Aman probably has the most job security of the players fighting for a roster spot, as the team is probably most comfortable with him sitting in the press box most games.

Bains probably can still benefit with more ice time in Abby if he can't win a full time spot.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Aman probably has the most job security of the players fighting for a roster spot, as the team is probably most comfortable with him sitting in the press box most games.

Bains probably can still benefit with more ice time in Abby if he can't win a full time spot.
One way contract too so he’s technically saving Frankie money by being in the NHL over two-way guys like Bains.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
good he should stay there.

He’s a piece that can be improved on, but I’m not sure I understand some of the scorn he gets (not singling you out, I’ve noticed a few people saying things like this). He’s a Center, he’s cheap, he kills penalties, he doesn’t get caved in defensively…pretty decent for a 13th F / utility forward. I’d rather guys like Bains get minutes in Abbotsford than sit in the press box.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Poolman Trade:
-always coming up with ideas and not everything materializes
-were patient
-there were different options for the team
-if the deal wasn't done on Sunday, it could have been executed a couple weeks into the season
-allows them to not lose anyone on waivers and puts the best roster on the ice to start the season
-sometimes trades take a little bit longer and sometimes they come together quick

Canucks Offseason:
-new players have settled in pretty well
-worked on their system details in camp
-line combinations have started to settle in
-young players are pushing the older guys every day
-can see the importance of having good coaches in Abbotsford
-Aatu Raty and Arshdeep Bains are in the mix moving forward

In-Season Moves:
-outcome of the games will dictate what direction they will go in
-always looking to get better
-several players within their system more than capable of playing in the NHL
-very confident in some of the younger players

Canucks Roster:
-next day mentality
-do all the right things and good things will happen
-it's a privilege to play for the Canucks

Hoglander:
-very impressed with Hoglander
-when Hoglander was sent down, Hoglander was not happy about it
-wasn't Hoglander's fault that he was sent down because was not put in a position to succeed
-NHL is not a development league
-Hoglander trusted them and bought into playing the right way
-Sedins worked with Hoglander in Abbotsford and continue to work with him in the Vancouver
-is a role model for young players; his fitness level, work ethic, and preparedness as an NHL player
-Hoglander isn't satisfied and wants to be a better player
-really encouraged about Hoglander's summer and training camp

Boeser:
-at some point a decision on Boeser's future will happen
-next level is consistency

Goaltending:
-didn't want to put Silovs in a position to fail
-wanted to have a veteran guy
-will be a competition for who's the starter
-can see the team carrying three goalies

Cap Space Accrual:
-will discuss, daily, with Tocchet on whether it makes sense to carry a full roster
-now have options with call-ups

GM Days-Off:
-jokes that he's not sure if Tocchet will allow him a day off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad