Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i will bet that the bruins would happily pay swayman his ask if not for the universal risks of goalies. since the price and bobrovsky deals i think the league has built in a huge discount for goalies on long term deals relative to their value to the team.

goaltending is one position where an exception for performance bonuses could be made so they can earn more. they are a huge risk on consistency and longevity so teams will pay them less than their value to the team to hedge that risk.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
i will bet that the bruins would happily pay swayman his ask if not for the universal risks of goalies. since the price and bobrovsky deals i think the league has built in a huge discount for goalies on long term deals relative to their value to the team.

goaltending is one position where an exception for performance bonuses could be made so they can earn more. they are a huge risk on consistency and longevity so teams will pay them less than their value to the team to hedge that risk.
The thing is the rumoured split is 700k (7.8M Bruins and 8.5M Swayman). If the Bruins were happily fine with meeting his ask it would’ve happened long ago. It would be an incredibly bad look for the Bruins to now cave in to Swayman’s asking price after burning through several bridges. It’s already bad enough in regards to how they handled the situation and trading Ullmark before actually getting anything done with Swayman.

IMO, he’s as good as gone. Swayman hasn’t done nearly enough to warrant his asking price. Resetting the goalie market is going to create all sorts of problems for teams considering how fickle goalies are.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
In before Coilers fans scream PDO
just need another gentle 8-1 beating

The thing is the rumoured split is 700k (7.8M Bruins and 8.5M Swayman). If the Bruins were happily fine with meeting his ask it would’ve happened long ago. It would be an incredibly bad look for the Bruins to now cave in to Swayman’s asking price after burning through several bridges. It’s already bad enough in regards to how they handled the situation and trading Ullmark before actually getting anything done with Swayman.

IMO, he’s as good as gone. Swayman hasn’t done nearly enough to warrant his asking price. Resetting the goalie market is going to create all sorts of problems for teams considering how fickle goalies are.
Swayman wants 9.5M apparently.

• Love
Reactions: Bgav

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Abbotsford Goalies:
-Canucks were not happy losing Patera; want to get him back
-looking at Patera going back on waivers and Canucks claimed him
-Abbotsford using a Mortgage Broker as a 4th goalie in camp
-Dylan Ferguson has signed a contract with the Wild's farm team
-Lemieux and Young, ideally, would start in the ECHL

Demko:
-no idea when he's coming back

Lankinen:
-Canucks colours on his pads by opening day

Joshua:
-someone told him that Joshua is supposed to start skating this week
-week-to-week
-has been with the team during training camp and will be on the road trip

Canucks Defence:
-a scout told him teams will not like spending time in the Canucks defensive zone with all their trees

Cap Implications:
-Raty not guaranteed a spot
-when Joshua and Suter return, Aman is probably the 13th forward
-has been told with 23 players they are going to be 0.92 under the cap (I don't understand how they could do this)
-Hirose's injury complicates plans if he doesn't get cleared before opening night
-believes they will carry three goaltenders

Hoglander:
-wondering what they do with him when Joshua comes back
-reading the tea leaves

Sprong:
-three teams were in on him and he picked Vancouver

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think we can probably trust Fridge more? Remember when Seravalli said Hronek at 8M or something?

They have about the exact same hit rate with Seravalli having higher overall totals since he reports more often than Friedman.

To me it's not really about trust but where the info is coming from and which is actually more recent. Friedman heard 9.5m and Seravalli heard 8.5m. Good chance they are getting that info from two different sources on opposite sides. Especially since this spilled into the media and both sides now have a vested interest in controlling the narrative.

Reactions: arttk

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Amam is a good defensive forward, but does anyone else think that's all he will be?

I hope they play Raty over him, waaay more upside.
Also his name sounds WAY more like a Star Wars droid's than Aman, and that HAS to count for something.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Hoglander:
-wondering what they do with him when Joshua comes back
-reading the tea leaves

Aka he'll be the valuable piece out when the Canucks go after another top 4 defenseman.

Hoglander + 1st + Poolman's contract for Top 4 D at some point this season

Reactions: Vector

Sonny A

Feb 6, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004_132124_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_132124_Brave.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Aka he'll be the valuable piece out when the Canucks go after another top 4 defenseman.

That's exactly how I read it as well. He did repeat "reading the tea leaves" twice but never elaborated.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They have about the exact same hit rate with Seravalli having higher overall totals since he reports more often than Friedman.

To me it's not really about trust but where the info is coming from and which is actually more recent. Friedman heard 9.5m and Seravalli heard 8.5m. Good chance they are getting that info from two different sources on opposite sides. Especially since this spilled into the media and both sides now have a vested interest in controlling the narrative.
End of the day, we just want the Bruins to be screwed harder.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

something like that is coming i think. they will be trying to do it without a first though.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

We* can all stop panicking now.

*me

Glad to hear it. But concussions become increasing easier to trigger with successive events. It's just another data point that Hirose's NHL (and possibly pro hockey) future is fading fast. In that regard, I'm happy that he was able to sign a favorable contract for his sake.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I am praying that the Bruins back up the money truck for Swayman. Bruins fans are already starting to turn on him. Once he gets the bag he's going to be under a microscope and all that resentment will come bubbling up when he struggles for any reason.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, I just don't see a path that makes sense unless they want to go with a very slim roster. Also depends on Suter's health.

If this is the case and Suter is hurt, bodes well for Bains and Raty to start the season on the roster.

Begs the question whether in that scenario you just say "F it" and use Poolman's full LTIR to pickup another defenseman. Would have to check how much space we'd have if we fully leverage LTIR and maybe move Hoglander in the deal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I feel bad for Bear - had that nice season in Vancouver, got hurt at the WHC, and has had a tough time since. Hopeully someone gives him a shot. I wouldn't be opposed to that someone being us, I think he'd be a better fit on the third pair than Forbort, but hope he gets a shot somewhere.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I feel bad for Bear - had that nice season in Vancouver, got hurt at the WHC, and has had a tough time since. Hopeully someone gives him a shot. I wouldn't be opposed to that someone being us, I think he'd be a better fit on the third pair than Forbort, but hope he gets a shot somewhere.

Bear is a right-shot so he'd be more on the Desharnais/Myers side of the equation. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but if we're going after a d-man I would prefer LS to bump Forbort off the ice.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Whenever someone wants to boot Forbort with a waiver acquisition, it's important to ask one question: how is the new player on the PK?

That's why Forbort was one of our top UFA targets, because he's very good 4v5. Bear, even ignoring handedness, brings nothing much to the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad