Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Rogers Sale:
-the NHL is going to want to get a big media deal

Canucks Goalies:
-Demko knows not to rush it back
-easier to say he won't rush back now but hard as the season rolls on
-Silovs made it pretty clear in the off-season that he doesn't want to go to the minors
-including playoffs, Silovs has played 19 games so it's another 41 before he needs waivers

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Given Demko's status, they would be idiots not to rotate through 3 goalies this year. The solution is so clear and obvious. Just make use of Silov's waiver status to send him up and down as the planned rotation of starts dictates in order to manage the cap.

Lankinen is not a starter but he's great in a back up role. Silovs is not a starter but shows signs of being able to play as a backup. Demko is a starter who can't safely handle a starter's game load. Just do the obvious thing and don't overthink things.
Totally agree but if Silovs outplays Lankinen they are gonna have to try and ditch Lankinen sooner than they probably want to.

Should be interesting. Woodley has Lankinen inside his top45 goalies. Silovs is still a ball of potential. Demko healthy is top5. It's a good setup all being healthy and happy.

Issue (and it's actually a good sign) will be if Silovs outplays Lankinen and doesn't feel he should be going to Abbotsford. And i only say issue because we lose the depth in all likelihood if we try and move Lankinen with that contract down. Carrying 3 goalies isn't ideal

Like you said though it should be simple as long as Silovs plays ball without too much ego which shouldn't be a problem. He doesnt take a pay cut this year to play in Abby

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At some point, a goalie has to transition from being 'a ball of potential' to the real deal. And for Silovs, that time is now. He's coming off a season where he was basically the Canucks playoff starter; backstopped Latvia to an unlikely bronze medal in the World Hockey Championships; and just completed his second full season in the AHL, where he done everything he can do at that level.

Tocchet has expressed confidence that with the team's personnel and their defensive system, they should be able to thrive with any goalie between the pipes. Brave words, perhaps. But looking around the league, there's a lot of teams win a lot of games with what I would consider pretty 'average' goaltending.

At some point, a goalie has to transition from being 'a ball of potential' to the real deal. And for Silovs, that time is now. He's coming off a season where he was basically the Canucks playoff starter; backstopped Latvia to an unlikely bronze medal in the World Hockey Championships; and just completed his second full season in the AHL, where he done everything he can do at that level.

Tocchet has expressed confidence that with the team's personnel and their defensive system, they should be able to thrive with any goalie between the pipes. Brave words, perhaps. But looking around the league, there's a lot of teams win a lot of games with what I would consider pretty 'average' goaltending.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Totally agree but if Silovs outplays Lankinen they are gonna have to try and ditch Lankinen sooner than they probably want to.

Should be interesting. Woodley has Lankinen inside his top45 goalies. Silovs is still a ball of potential. Demko healthy is top5. It's a good setup all being healthy and happy.

Issue (and it's actually a good sign) will be if Silovs outplays Lankinen and doesn't feel he should be going to Abbotsford. And i only say issue because we lose the depth in all likelihood if we try and move Lankinen with that contract down. Carrying 3 goalies isn't ideal

Like you said though it should be simple as long as Silovs plays ball without too much ego which shouldn't be a problem. He doesnt take a pay cut this year to play in Abby

The writing is on the wall with the cap and management's desire to try and stay out of LTIR. No way they carry three active goalies, and Silovs is exempt from waivers. He's going down when Demko is healthy unless Lankinen totally craps the bed. I can't really see much rationale to carry Silovs as a back-up if Lankinen plays up to his usual standards, when you can give Silovs a starters workload in Abbie.

If Demko is out longer than expected, they'll obviously just ride some type of pretty even, hot-hand split between Silovs/Lankinen.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The writing is on the wall with the cap and management's desire to try and stay out of LTIR. No way they carry three active goalies, and Silovs is exempt from waivers. He's going down when Demko is healthy unless Lankinen totally craps the bed. I can't really see much rationale to carry Silovs as a back-up if Lankinen plays up to his usual standards, when you can give Silovs a starters workload in Abbie.

If Demko is out longer than expected, they'll obviously just ride some type of pretty even, hot-hand split between Silovs/Lankinen.

If they can handle it, I imagine they'll want to try and generate enough cap-space to call Silovs up after the deadline and roll with three goalies then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad