Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Suter, Blueger, Sprong, Sherwood and now Lankinen, all great contracts and a low cost. Not only are these the types of contracts that help win cups, but it also shows that the city of Vancouver turned back into a "Destination" for hockey players. I gotta admit, Allvin, Rutherford and Tochett have really done a admirable job at turning this sinking ship around.

Just need a healthy Demko, but this 24/25 Canucks roster has amazing depth at all positions.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Suter, Blueger, Sprong, Sherwood and now Lankinen, all great contracts and a low cost. Not only are these the types of contracts that help win cups, but it also shows that the city of Vancouver turned back into a "Destination" for hockey players. I gotta admit, Allvin, Rutherford and Tochett have really done a admirable job at turning this sinking ship around.

Just need a healthy Demko, but this 24/25 Canucks roster has amazing depth at all positions.

Organization is likeable from the top-down. If I'm going to give Aquilini credit it's his persistent work in getting JR. It started with him.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Organization is likeable from the top-down. If I'm going to give Aquilini credit it's his persistent work in getting JR. It started with him.
Actually, I give Aquilini almost 'zero' credit for hiring Rutherford.....Entering the 2021 season, he'd already re-signed Jim Benning to a three year deal; who then turned around and re-upped Green on a new three year deal. Then with the season barely two months old, he was forced to fire both of them and eat the contracts.

When he finally turned to Rutherford, the franchise had bottomed out. So he finally did what he should have done years ago--hire a competent, experienced hockey executive, and then get out of his way. It's no co-incidence that these days you hear absolutely nothing from the owner....his mike has gone silent. And that, more than anything, is the reason the Canucks are on the ascendancy.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

I'd give you amazing depth in all positions.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Actually, I give Aquilini almost 'zero' credit for hiring Rutherford.....Entering the 2021 season, he'd already re-signed Jim Benning to a three year deal; who then turned around and re-upped Green on a new three year deal. Then with the season barely two months old, he was forced to fire both of them and eat the contracts.

When he finally turned to Rutherford, the franchise had bottomed out. So he finally did what he should have done years ago--hire a competent, experienced hockey executive, and then get out of his way. It's no co-incidence that these days you hear absolutely nothing from the owner....his mike has gone silent. And that, more than anything, is the reason the Canucks are on the ascendancy.

I agree, no credit shall be given to the blueberry boi.

It took him 8 years and near hundred of millions wasted in order to realise the damage he's done. If it were any other person hired at this position he'd be fired a long time ago.

Guy is just a beneficiary of nepotism, which is totally fine. You cant decide to be born smart and competent, its just genetic lottery,
But he really shouldve kept his finger off the team a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
According to Drance, the team still believes they can stay out of LTIR even with Lankinen, but it's "getting tight".

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
According to Drance, the team still believes they can stay out of LTIR even with Lankinen, but it's "getting tight".

It will be very interesting. With a full 23-man roster and three on IR (Poolman, Demko, & Joshua) that puts them at 1.46m over the cap. A 21-man roster gets them to 0.14m under the cap. The only way that scenario is realistic is if they expect Demko and Joshua to be back shortly.

Of course if they trade Poolman it would be a lot easier.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It will be very interesting. With a full 23-man roster and three on IR (Poolman, Demko, & Joshua) that puts them at 1.46m over the cap. A 21-man roster gets them to 0.14m under the cap. The only way that scenario is realistic is if they expect Demko and Joshua to be back shortly.

Of course if they trade Poolman it would be a lot easier.

It seems he was insinuating they could do it without moving Poolman. I assume it's some form of running a shorter roster and moving guys up and down from Abbie.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It seems he was insinuating they could do it without moving Poolman. I assume it's some form of running a shorter roster and moving guys up and down from Abbie.

Yeah, that's kind of the only way it works. Go with a 21-man roster, for all intents and purposes even if Joshua and Demko aren't placed on IR, and if they are back within a reasonable time-frame you're under. Doing it without trading Poolman severely limits what they can do for call-ups and injuries, though.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-lots of uncertainty about the injury
-"popliteus" injury; muscle deep in the back of the knee
-is a small stabilizing muscle
-super rare injury and everyone Woodley has talked to has never seen it at the NHL level
-healing time has been described as 3-16 weeks
-goalies knees are rarely in the locked position but this muscle unlocks it

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Goalies:
-Canucks are not going to rush back
-Demko understands he's not going to rush back
-Silovs only eligible for waivers until he plays his 60th game which would be next year
-Silovs, through his representatives, made it known that he wants to be in the NHL this season
-Canucks know Silovs prefers to play in the NHL
-Bukauskas talks about how the Canadiens had a three goalie rotation last season and it was difficult for them to sort out ice time

Boeser:
-elite level athletes respond to challenges
-have told Boeser that if he wants to stay in Vancouver then he needs to erase management's doubts
-thinks Boeser wants to stay in Vancouver

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

-super rare injury and everyone Woodley has talked to has never seen it at the NHL level

Hfboards should start paying me for this shit.

Popliteus is the knee unlocker (rotates the tibia/shin inwards as you flex the knee) and can often get missed for a distal hamstring tendonitis injury or a baker's cyst, which also sucks.

Typically planted and twist moments with load typical in goalie movements will put the ligaments in the knee under more stress before really cranking through the popliteus but I've seen multiple popliteus type injuries in conjunction with hamstring injuries and the rehab is quite similar - until you get to return to sport. No idea how he managed to f*** with his popliteus not gonna lie lol - I've seen it more in spasm cases with poor landing mechanics from a big vertical jump.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Looks like my source was correct.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Popliteus is the knee unlocker (rotates the tibia/shin inwards as you flex the knee) and can often get missed for a distal hamstring tendonitis injury or a baker's cyst, which also sucks.

Typically planted and twist moments with load typical in goalie movements will put the ligaments in the knee under more stress before really cranking through the popliteus but I've seen multiple popliteus type injuries in conjunction with hamstring injuries and the rehab is quite similar - until you get to return to sport. No idea how he managed to f*** with his popliteus not gonna lie lol - I've seen it more in spasm cases with poor landing mechanics from a big vertical jump.
Simple - it's called "Canuck luck"

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

I have a difficult time believing that this is just a freak injury rather than something related to other knee issues that made this injury possible in the first place.

Which is to say, very glad we were able to sign Lankinen and work on a 3-goalie rotation this season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Didn't mcdavid tear that same muscle a few years ago

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Question about Silovs. He is waiver exempt until he has played 60 games or more. But it also has to do with his age and number of years signed. Does his waiver exemption lapse after this season, regardless if he hits 60 games or not? Or if he doesn't hit 60, is he still waiver exempt next year until he does?

It would be very unlikely for him to hit 60 this year unless he becomes the starter through injury.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Didn't mcdavid tear that same muscle a few years ago

“McDavid was initially diagnosed with a Grade 2 PCL strain because of all the swelling around his knee. A second medical opinion in Colorado revealed the full PCL tear, plus a torn meniscus on both sides of the knee, cracked fibia and a popliteus muscle that was torn right off the bone.”

“While the surgery was booked, McDavid sought a third medical opinion in Los Angeles. That doctor confirmed the nature of the injury, but recommended rehab over surgery — a decision that led to highly respected Dr. Mark Lindsay being brought in to oversee a fluid recovery process, and helped return McDavid back to health in time for the season.“

I find it extremely hard to believe they missed this when doing their research if a simple “NHL popliteus injury” search resulted in this article being one of the first to pop up.

There are also articles using the same wording that McDavid’s popliteus muscle was “detached” and the nature of his injured knee was career threatening. Don’t get me wrong it is still rare, but definitely not true there weren’t any cases when there was one as recent as 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanillaCoke

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I have a difficult time believing that this is just a freak injury rather than something related to other knee issues that made this injury possible in the first place.

Which is to say, very glad we were able to sign Lankinen and work on a 3-goalie rotation this season.
Agree. Also believe he's gonna be very careful to manage this so his next contract doesn't get completely blown apart. I guess what i'm implying is this "rare injury" might become a deflection for a major structural issue. Didn't they already say he had an unrelated surgery and look at the timeline now. 5 months and counting

Bottom line is he's damaged goods nearing 30 and they might want to start drafting a couple goalies.

I'm not piling on him it's just his reliability has become a bad gamble and signing him long term would be a mistake.... Not sure how they tackle that when he may want 8-10 million if he can hold it together for 2yrs

Reactions: Diversification

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad