Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Forward lines are completely different than defensive pairs. On no planet is Theodore on a third pairing with Desharnais. You know that.

Of course it needs to be explained. It’s moronic to list him on a third pairing with Desharnais.

Theodore Desharnais
Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers

There you go. He’s a first pairing D now.

Wait, Hughes is not a second pairing defenseman!

Reactions: racerjoe

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Theodore Desharnais
Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers

There you go. He’s a first pairing D now.

Wait, Hughes is not a second pairing defenseman!
Hasn’t Theodore played a majority of his career with the Golden Knights on the right side with Martinez and then McNabb. I know Tocchet likes to play guys on their natural side but he is better on the right.

Hughes-Theodore
Soucy-Hronek
Fobort-Myers
Desharnais

There you are both happy.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Hasn’t Theodore played a majority of his career with the Golden Knights on the right side with Martinez and then McNabb. I know Tocchet likes to play guys on their natural side but he is better on the right.

Hughes-Theodore
Soucy-Hronek
Fobort-Myers
Desharnais

Can't wait till the cap people start hating you for spending so much on second and third pair and 7th D

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
We're kind of capped out. Who would you offer off the roster to make it work?
Good question, I pressume Vegas is close to being capped out since they were like 17 million over cap heading into last seasons playoffs. A cheap contract such as Hoglander, prospect Lekkerimaki and a 1st rounder might intrigue Vegas, but they would most likely be hoping to get a defenseman back in the deal. A deal could very well happen though because Theodore's contract expires after next season and now that Hanafin is signed long term, it will be hard for Vegas to get him under contract.

There would most likely have to be two trades made in order to make space for Theodore and his contract. Poolman and his dead cap would have to go, or a fan favorite such as Garland to make space to facilitate a trade. It would be tough to pull off forsure.

Not sure what it would cost to sign Theodore since he will most likely be looking for a raise from his 5+ million dollar contract, but if I were Allvin I definitely would be exploring Theodore as a trade option. After Hughes and Hronek the Canucks defense is kind of filled with a bunch of 4, 5, 6 defenseman. Acquiring Theodore would put us over the top.

Reactions: DFAC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Puckpedia has Vegas over the cap by $3.64 mill. but Lehner was ltir last season and he’s at $5 mill. So they would put him on ltir once the season begins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta be before starts / at roster submission so they still need to trim
LV has done this song and dance with LTIR for a while now, so I expect them to figure it out. Won't just give Theodore away as he has value.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Theodore's play has declined over the last couple of years, he's not the same guy who torched us in the bubble.

If we're adding a hefty contract to our organization it should be at forward. Tocchet+Foote's defensive system can be played well by cheap players, we should spend on scoring.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Hughes-Theodore
Soucy-Hronek
Fobort-Myers
Desharnais

by the playoffs i would expect it to be

hughes hronek
soucy theodore
rental desharnais
myers

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see any way in which we get Theodore. I think Provorov is a much more realistic target.
Canucks can't keep bleeding assets. Already very limited. Anyone they acquire, they had to try to keep, but that will cost cap space and they do have contracts that will be due up that they need to make a decision on. Boeser for 25 and then Demko & Garland are up in 2026. Garland, figure they will have to try move at some point before his deal expires.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Provorov kinda sucks now.

He wasn't great in that disaster of a franchise. Politics aside, I think he's an ok buy low, cheapish AAV mid-season acquisition that would fit the teams salary cap / contractual planning moving forward. There is no combination of circumstances where Theodore ends up in Vancouver imo.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He wasn't great in that disaster of a franchise. Politics aside, I think he's an ok buy low, cheapish AAV mid-season acquisition that would fit the teams salary cap / contractual planning moving forward. There is no combination of circumstances where Theodore ends up in Vancouver imo.
What’s this based off of?

Reactions: David71

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Sure. But in terms of a legit top 4 LD on a crappy team with a expiring contract we can actually fit there aren’t a ton of options.

Marcus Pettersson - PIT

Expiring contract, was acquired by Rutherford in 18-19, now 28, has evolved into a ~#3D in just the last couple years.

Maybe Pit makes a run this year but I think the most likely scenario is they continue their age related decline into the NHL cellar.

The Canucks would be pressed to re-sign him and retain Boeser/Hog but I think it could be doable by squeezing Hog as a RFA or moving Soucy for a cheaper LD.

I don't view Theodore as a re-signable player while Provorov probably costs more to re-sign than I would like. Pettersson fits our playstyle as a long defensive Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad