Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Irf mentioned on Sekeres and Price that a Dman to keep an eye on for the Canucks is Victor Soderstorm out of Utah.

Former 11th overall pick . 5'11 Sweede, Right shot Dman.

Irf said it might not even take a package that includes Hoglander to obtain him.

I thought Utah needed defensemen, are they just sour on him?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Irf mentioned on Sekeres and Price that a Dman to keep an eye on for the Canucks is Victor Soderstorm out of Utah.

Irf said it might not even take a package that includes Hoglander to obtain him.
He has 53 NHL games under his belt. Not sure on his waiver status, but I think he's exempt based on games played. He's a minus player in the A. So, unless it's for another prospect that is similar, he's not worth Hog.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought Utah needed defensemen, are they just sour on him?

They've revamped their defense this summer. Brought in Sergachev, Marino, and Cole while re-signing Durzi, Kesselring, and Valimaki. Soderstrom would be the 7th defenceman. But...he's not very good. I've watched him a lot at the AHL level and he wasn't great there.

Like yeah...Soderstrom shouldn't be worth much of anything. He's no longer waiver exempt, is an RFA, has floundered in his NHL time, and doesn't even look good in the AHL. He's maybe a waiver claim.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

@ 22:07

Sekeres: There's still names out there. You'd think if they still had interest in Tyson Barrie, Victoria's Tyson Barrie, that would have already come to pass. He's a right shot of course.
Irf: I got a name.
Sekeres: Yeah?
Irf: Victor Soderstrom.
Sekeres: Oh wow.
Irf: The Arizona Coyotes moved up in the draft here in Vancouver in 2019 to pick him at 11 overall. 23 year-old right shot defenceman. I think looking for a new home. Now whatever the Arizona/Utah organization wants or what it's going to take to try and make that work remains to be seen but that's a name I would keep an eye on and I'd be interested in.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They've revamped their defense this summer. Brought in Sergachev, Marino, and Cole while re-signing Durzi, Kesselring, and Valimaki. Soderstrom would be the 7th defenceman. But...he's not very good. I've watched him a lot at the AHL level and he wasn't great there.

Like yeah...Soderstrom shouldn't be worth much of anything. He's no longer waiver exempt, is an RFA, has floundered in his NHL time, and doesn't even look good in the AHL. He's maybe a waiver claim.
Given the number of contracts that the Canucks have, they need to move guys out if they make a waiver claim. I think Soderstrom gets picked up, like Bjornfort or guys like that whom club who are limited on D hope that they can find something. If it doesn't work out, back to the A or you give him his release to allow him to return to Sweden.

Not sure how confident Foote/Gonchar are in being able to help turn him around.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hoglander is a 23 y/o coming off a 20 goal season playing the majority of it on the 4th line before moving up with limited power play time, believe all his goals came 5-on-5. He’s a breakout player and a potential consistent 30 goal scorer going forward. He was the best player on a terrible Hoglander-Pettersson-Mikheyev line in the playoffs. A young talented winger that’s getting feistier and better, he’s someone we should lock up long term.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Would it be fair to say that Soderstrom is the dman equivalent of Podkolzin in terms of career trajectory and trade value? Not saying we should pull the trigger on a 1 for 1 trade.

I was thinking of this in my last post but, to me, Soderstrom is behind Podkolzin. Podkolzin at least has an NHL role as a speed bottom-6 grinder. Soderstrom wasn't able to carve out any icetime on a bad Arizona defence and doesn't really have a role in the NHL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Would it be fair to say that Soderstrom is the dman equivalent of Podkolzin in terms of career trajectory and trade value? Not saying we should pull the trigger on a 1 for 1 trade.

That's exactly what came to mind for me, and exactly the type of deal I posited that Podkolzin could be moved in. Two guys who need a change of scenery/address a roster need for their new team.

EDIT: Not saying Soderstrom would be my target, or fair 1 for 1 value, but that type of deal.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
This rumour is extremely funny because it's obvious Dhaliwal was golfing, had a few drinks, got a text from an agent, tweeted it out, went back to golfing and drinking, and then doubled down.

Edit:

HE'S HAD MORE TO DRINK!

Dhaliwal and his Crown Royal, thing of beauty lol

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Hoglander is a 23 y/o coming off a 20 goal season playing the majority of it on the 4th line before moving up with limited power play time, believe all his goals came 5-on-5. He’s a breakout player and a potential consistent 30 goal scorer going forward. He was the best player on a terrible Hoglander-Pettersson-Mikheyev line in the playoffs. A young talented winger that’s getting feistier and better, he’s someone we should lock up long term.

dime a dozen player. He was a healthy scratch during playoffs and regular season and was up and down the lineup.

He needs to make some serious defensive growth and also be stronger on battles.

What makes him more valuable than Daniel Spring who has been a service man going from team to team making 900 k?

Sprong can put up the same amount of goals and points as Hogs if given the same opportunity, Both need development with their play off puck and defensively.

I'd personally trade Hoglnder while his value is decent especially if we can get a young-ish Dman with top 4 potential.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
sprong in theory gives them flexibility to trade a roster forward to upgrade the defence with a roster player. but i kind of doubt he makes a difference to the calculus. he's a straight gamble.

and how do you add a roster dman now? when you sign veteran players as ufas there is usually an understanding about the role they will play that factors into the decision of the player to sign. there's also an understanding you are not going to sign them and trade them.

we just signed 3 rhd and one lhd. i think only forbort would have signed on the basis he might be platooned. the entire right side likely signed based on an expectation they were in the lineup. not a guarantee but i think even desharnais has an expectation that they're not going to make a further move to bump him onto the bench and a right to be pissed if he comes to camp in shape and plays his game and that happens because they added a better player in front of him. plus desharnais is an expensive bench warmer.

so i think all they can do on the right side without ruffling feathers is add a guy to push desharnais from below. on the left they could maybe infill in front of forbort or they could trade soucy or add a guy behind forbort.

in the circumstances it would maybe make sense for them to either add a waivers exempt prospect dman, or to trade someone like podkholzin for a similarly career position waivers eligible dman who would platoon.

soderstrom kind of fits the bill if they like him as a player.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaliwal is that embarrassing uncle that people tolerate until they don't.
By all accounts he’s a nice guy(I’ve met him once myself) so I can’t really hate on him. He does get worked by agents as a mouthpiece but that’s also why they feed him scoops too

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Also - I'd flip a table if we dealt Hoglander for Soderstrom. One is a proven NHLer on a bargain contract who just put up 24 goals.

The other is a fringe defensemen who's only exceeded 24 games in a season once.
I’d probably do Podkolzin just because they’re similar prospects, but I’m just not sold on Soderstrom. Would rather spend real assets on a bigger fish.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Also - I'd flip a table if we dealt Hoglander for Soderstrom. One is a proven NHLer on a bargain contract who just put up 24 goals.

The other is a fringe defensemen who's only exceeded 24 games in a season once.

This is identical to the "Bear for Hoglander" rumour that popped up a couple of seasons ago. It was non-sense then and it's non-sense now.

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad