Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Moving forward, our continuing Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and Fantasy GM Threads will be named in honour of @Grub .

A long-time, high quality contributor to HF Van, Grub is battling Stage 4 Cancer. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Classy move @Mr. Canucklehead

Regarding the LD and specifically Sanheim

@Vector "It's probably less than what he'd get if he was a UFA this season."

Im not sure you want to be holding that kind of term and if he's even that great as a shut down defender.

You might be putting yourself right back into a OEL type situation

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Regarding the LD and specifically Sanheim

@Vector "It's probably less than what he'd get if he was a UFA this season."

Im not sure you want to be holding that kind of term and if he's even that great as a shut down defender.

You might be putting yourself right back into a OEL type situation

Sanheim isn't a shutdown defencemen, he's a very good two-way guy. There's no comparison between him and OEL. If you acquire him now he's paid significantly less, is two years younger, and is coming off an excellent bounce-back season where he was an all-situations number one defender on a cobbled together team playing above their heads. Benning paid a massive cost for a hugely distressed asset on an expensive long-term contract. I'd propose acquiring Sanheim with Johansen for a fairly minimal cost (Hoglander or Podkolzin).

That said, Sanheim wouldn't be my primary target.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly I’ve been on the fence about Sanheim but I’ve come around. I think he’s be a good target at this point.

Hughes - Hronek
Sanheim - Desharnais
Soucy - Myers

Would be solid.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Honestly I’ve been on the fence about Sanheim but I’ve come around. I think he’s be a good target at this point.

Hughes - Hronek
Sanheim - Desharnais
Soucy - Myers

Would be solid.

That's how I view the defensive pairings as well. I wanted the Canucks to acquire Sanheim when he was seemingly at his lowest but Fletcher signed him to that contract and that quieted the noise...until Fletcher got fired. He does have a full NTC right now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sanheim would instantly become our second best defenseman, idk why flyers would give him away for nothing.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
That's how I view the defensive pairings as well. I wanted the Canucks to acquire Sanheim when he was seemingly at his lowest but Fletcher signed him to that contract and that quieted the noise...until Fletcher got fired. He does have a full NTC right now.

Right. Wonder if he’d waive and what a trade would even look like if he did.

Reactions: Vector

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I follow the Flyers pretty closely because the chaos and drama that occurs feels very familiar to me as a Canucks fan and I can't help but be drawn to it.

Sanheim was driving Flyers fans bonkers in the second half of the season, he wasn't playing nearly as well as he was at the beginning of the season. Most of this is probably due to pretty much their entire defense core going down with injuries and Walker getting traded away so he was playing a ton of minutes.

Also interesting to note that he's been playing pretty much entirely on the right during his time with Torts. Torts and Brad Shaw seem to strongly believe that he plays better on his off hand. Pairing is usually York-Sanheim.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I follow the Flyers pretty closely because the chaos and drama that occurs feels very familiar to me as a Canucks fan and I can't help but be drawn to it.

Sanheim was driving Flyers fans bonkers in the second half of the season, he wasn't playing nearly as well as he was at the beginning of the season. Most of this is probably due to pretty much their entire defense core going down with injuries and Walker getting traded away so he was playing a ton of minutes.

Also interesting to note that he's been playing pretty much entirely on the right during his time with Torts. Torts and Brad Shaw seem to strongly believe that he plays better on his off hand. Pairing is usually York-Sanheim.

I liken this to Mike Matheson in Montreal where you have a guy that is not a #1 and shouldn't be given that responsibility and is eventually ground down by it over the course of a season. Reduce the minutes and deployments to that of a 2nd pair guy and suddenly they are much better over the entire season even if their production seems to slip.

The handedness is interesting because it was pretty similar before Tortorella as well. He played a decent amount on his off-hand. I'm not sure if this is because he's actually better there or they wanted York to have a reliable partner and for York to play on his natural side.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I liken this to Mike Matheson in Montreal where you have a guy that is not a #1 and shouldn't be given that responsibility and is eventually ground down by it over the course of a season. Reduce the minutes and deployments to that of a 2nd pair guy and suddenly they are much better over the entire season even if their production seems to slip.

The handedness is interesting because it was pretty similar before Tortorella as well. He played a decent amount on his off-hand. I'm not sure if this is because he's actually better there or they wanted York to have a reliable partner and for York to play on his natural side.
Yes exactly. They need to rely on him more than they ideally should and as time goes on it starts to show in his performance.

And yeah, they have repeatedly said that it's because he plays better on the right side, but it's hard to say if that's the actual truth or if they're influenced by wanting a partner for York and going out and finding a top 4 RHD is a nightmare, as we well know. And they're not about to start being like "well we're doing this because we have to!", the media and fans there would tear them to shreds lol.

Reactions: Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sanheim isn't a shutdown defencemen, he's a very good two-way guy. There's no comparison between him and OEL. If you acquire him now he's paid significantly less, is two years younger, and is coming off an excellent bounce-back season where he was an all-situations number one defender on a cobbled together team playing above their heads. Benning paid a massive cost for a hugely distressed asset on an expensive long-term contract. I'd propose acquiring Sanheim with Johansen for a fairly minimal cost (Hoglander or Podkolzin).

That said, Sanheim wouldn't be my primary target.
The OEL comp is that you are paying a premium acquisition cost plus having a big cap hit to a 2nd pair defender that wont be used in PP situations and hasn't really shown to be a top end shut down defender.

It restricts what you can do elsewhere on the roster also but not that big a deal if he's truly the leader and shut down defender to anchor a 22-23 minutes 2nd pair. I'm not so sure he plays that way but he certainly has the capabilities and is intriguing if he was ever even available now after they almost made that horrendous Krug trade

At 28 OEL was not far off Sanheim. Injuries derailed him and he lost a step. People forget what he was before the 2yrs leading up to our mark of a manager paid for that contract and a declined and further declining name player that didnt want to get stuck in much anymore

Flyers will want our 1st plus Pod/Hog plus more and then we have to work around his 6.25 cap hit next year which i have no idea how we pull off without letting Boeser walk. It's doable with a decent cap increase though.

I think were on the same page as our biggest need is a top3 left side defender probably with Myers and Desharnais locked for 2yrs and Willander McWard in the pipeline as well as 2 useful btm pair subs in Friedman and Juulsen. It's not ideal and asking a lot of Myers but it seems to have more proven and more on the cusp sooner

The left side is asking too much from Soucy and Forbort to begin with as both have had troubles staying healthy and being reliable and beyond that Pettersson is 2 yrs away at minimum and Brisebois Wolanin Hirose are even further down the pecking order than NJ and MF.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The OEL comp is that you are paying a premium acquisition cost plus having a big cap hit to a 2nd pair defender that wont be used in PP situations and hasn't really shown to be a top end shut down defender.

It restricts what you can do elsewhere on the roster also but not that big a deal if he's truly the leader and shut down defender to anchor a 22-23 minutes 2nd pair. I'm not so sure he plays that way but he certainly has the capabilities and is intriguing if he was ever even available now after they almost made that horrendous Krug trade

At 28 OEL was not far off Sanheim. Injuries derailed him and he lost a step. People forget what he was before the 2yrs leading up to our mark of a manager paid for that contract and a declined and further declining name player that didnt want to get stuck in much anymore

Flyers will want our 1st plus Pod/Hog plus more and then we have to work around his 6.25 cap hit next year which i have no idea how we pull off without letting Boeser walk. It's doable with a decent cap increase though.

I think were on the same page as our biggest need is a top3 left side defender probably with Myers and Desharnais locked for 2yrs and Willander McWard in the pipeline as well as 2 useful btm pair subs in Friedman and Juulsen.

An absurd comparison. Sanheim is not a 2nd pair defender, does not need to play PP1 in order to be useful to a team (in fact, he doesn't in Philadelphia), and if acquired this season will be 2 years younger and $2M cheaper than OEL. He's also not dependent on physical tools (like OEL and his mobility) so far likelier to be effective through the life of his contract. He will also not cost a premium price (or at least if he does, the Canucks should hang up the phone).

You're right it will be difficult to acquire him and keep Boeser, but if this team is serious about contending they will almost certainly let Boeser walk next summer instead of paying him the $8M he will be due.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
There is a new website called CapWages. Similar UI to CapFriendly.

Noice, hopefully this is the start of a very similar site. It suits my needs perfectly. @Vector I don't use the GM mode as I just do all that in my head ... and well really rely on you and others here! :sarcasm:

Looks like we have 10 forwards signed and 5 defence signed for 2025-26. Makes signing Hoglander a little trickly. If Boeser gets re-signed that would make Hoglander the 12th forward. Not much room for any changes management would like to make. Would have to hope that forward group completely gels and excels.

GM Mode lol - yeah definitely a work in progress

1720814992560.png

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
An absurd comparison. Sanheim is not a 2nd pair defender, does not need to play PP1 in order to be useful to a team (in fact, he doesn't in Philadelphia), and if acquired this season will be 2 years younger and $2M cheaper than OEL. He's also not dependent on physical tools (like OEL and his mobility) so far likelier to be effective through the life of his contract. He will also not cost a premium price (or at least if he does, the Canucks should hang up the phone).

You're right it will be difficult to acquire him and keep Boeser, but if this team is serious about contending they will almost certainly let Boeser walk next summer instead of paying him the $8M he will be due.
i dont think you understood what my argument is if you're saying it's "absurd". It's not a straight line comparison.
And you agreed to half of it by adding the acquisition cost statement. Why would the Flyers trade their #1 D to us for peanuts?

The argument is based on being damn sure that Sanheim fits in a #2 primary shut down role and that his contract fits with what they need/want to do going forward. The contract is 1 million less not 2.

If the scouts were sure he could be a Edler type for us during that contract i would have zero issues but he does have some concerning flaws defensively previous is my point and "IF" he struggles or is miss cast it takes money away from doing other moves and becomes a deterrent

He has 7yrs to go so if you screw up it could come at a huge cost. Add Boeser to Pod/Hog 1st plus plus and that can have rather large consequences.

As far as Boeser like every player you attach a contract and that dictates whether it makes sense or not. Where do you get 40 goals and his playoff performance from if you just "let him walk"?

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
i dont think you understood what my argument is if you're saying it's "absurd". It's not a straight line comparison.
And you agreed to half of it by adding the acquisition cost statement. Why would the Flyers trade their #1 D to us for peanuts?

Because they're a rebuilding team, he has an NTC, and he's signed long-term.

Good players that are awkward roster/contractual fits are often traded for little return. Look at the Jakob Chychrun or Ryan McDonagh trades.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Should we read anything into the fact that Silovs doesn't yet have a contract with the Canucks, and they gave Jiri Patera a two-year agreement? Maybe it's just a case of the Canucks manipulating the cap in the off-season......but the longer it goes on, the more questions linger.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Should we read anything into the fact that Silovs doesn't yet have a contract with the Canucks, and they gave Jiri Patera a two-year agreement? Maybe it's just a case of the Canucks manipulating the cap in the off-season......but the longer it goes on, the more questions linger.
many RFAs are unisgned now around the league. it's just negotiating.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

The argument is based on being damn sure that Sanheim fits in a #2 primary shut down role and that his contract fits with what they need/want to do going forward. The contract is 1 million less not 2.

If the scouts were sure he could be a Edler type for us during that contract i would have zero issues but he does have some concerning flaws defensively previous is my point and "IF" he struggles or is miss cast it takes money away from doing other moves and becomes a deterrent

He has 7yrs to go so if you screw up it could come at a huge cost. Add Boeser to Pod/Hog 1st plus plus and that can have rather large consequences.

As far as Boeser like every player you attach a contract and that dictates whether it makes sense or not. Where do you get 40 goals and his playoff performance from if you just "let him walk"?

I think this would be a horribly risky play that could just destroy this team's chances during the Miller years. I would be searching for a better target myself. 6 mil plus for 7 years. Ouch. Good season last year but averages 27 points per 82 outside of a 44 point season last year. I would really question the sustainability but he does have size as well. How good of a defender is he though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad