Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Things might not be so rosy in the room.

Loose lips sink ships. If there is an internal issue then keeping media away prevents some of those leaks.

Big mistake having the major media carrier controlling content.
It turns reporting into an arm of the marketing division, all rainbows and lollipops no matter the real situation.

Main owner of media - Rogers, arena sponsor - Rogers, media employer - Rogers. Does anyone actually believe anything heard is not for Rogers first?
In partnership with the team to say anything to fill the arena and help marketing.
Remember how the Canucks "youth" were the same players for 6/7 years? Even now that is preached. Sure 26 yrs old isn't old in the mainstream public but in hockey terms that is hitting their prime. How many cup finalists/winners were led by 23 yr old somethings? Or had multiple players under 26 yrs old? Canucks might have 3 players under 25 yrs old this coming season. The "window" is closing and the cap conundrum combined with some hitting the back side of the play due to aging coming isn't going to help.

So far the team has muted some "reporters", especially those that won't play ball with the team message.
U made a great point but then started drifting off w/ gibberish again

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Loose lips sink ships. If there is an internal issue then keeping media away prevents some of those leaks.

It turns reporting into an arm of the marketing division, all rainbows and lollipops no matter the real situation.

Main owner of media - Rogers, arena sponsor - Rogers, media employer - Rogers. Does anyone actually believe anything heard is not for Rogers first?
In partnership with the team to say anything to fill the arena and help marketing.
Remember how the Canucks "youth" were the same players for 6/7 years? Even now that is preached. Sure 26 yrs old isn't old in the mainstream public but in hockey terms that is hitting their prime. How many cup finalists/winners were led by 23 yr old somethings? Or had multiple players under 26 yrs old? Canucks might have 3 players under 25 yrs old this coming season. The "window" is closing and the cap conundrum combined with some hitting the back side of the play due to aging coming isn't going to help.

So far the team has muted some "reporters", especially those that won't play ball with the team message.
Stop

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
U made a great point but then started drifting off w/ gibberish again
Maybe but how many independent sports radio stations are there? used to be two, now one. How many reporters complain about anything serious? The entire NHL sport is squeegeed clean. 800 players or so and no problems with any until it reaches arrests?
Which, Demko's hip or calling out cleansed news? you part of the alumni too?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Maybe but how many independent sports radio stations are there? used to be two, now one. How many reporters complain about anything serious? The entire NHL sport is squeegeed clean. 800 players or so and no problems with any until it reaches arrests?

Which, Demko's hip or calling out cleansed news? you part of the alumni too?
the dumbass part

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
fwiw my recall is that back in the day when newspapers could deal with hockey teams as equals you still had way less insider reporting than today. there were certainly grouches in the gallagher mold who spilled a little here and there but they picked their spots. even dan russell was pretty quick to squash rumours from callers. a ton got left unreported and most reporting was pretty anodyne and focussed on the ice, not unlike sportsnet today.

bottom line is it is entertainment and that has always meant a different standard. the goudreau tragedy is an example. people were mad that the story spilled at all before an official announcement. that's because he was a hockey player and there is no social benefit to breaking the news as soon as possible as there is for public figures in more consequential roles. strictly speaking any journalist had the right to break that story the moment they had confirmation and strictly speaking there is zero wrong with people discussing the death of a public figure online. the only reason it was offside is because it was only hockey.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
On the flip side that is a bit of beauty with this system .. the system supports a 4 line game but it creates a flow that allows whichever line to defend the same

The shadow third line center fluctuates in importance based on the system and parts being used in my opinion. If your roster is a bit more sporadic in approach it becomes more important

That's true and it's why I'm not overly concerned about it in the regular season, but I don't think we can possibly be a stronger team in a Playoff series with Suter as our 3C instead of Lindholm/Pettersson.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
That's true and it's why I'm not overly concerned about it in the regular season, but I don't think we can possibly be a stronger team in a Playoff series with Suter as our 3C instead of Lindholm/Pettersson.

That's kind of a unique situation last year which I doubt happens this year. It's not every year you can just sign up for a player of Lindholm's quality as an expiring $5 mil contract. I definitely wouldn't expect a player like that to fall in our laps again. We also spent big asset wise for the trade as a reward for the unexpected great season. Not sure that happens again.

We could go after Tavares :frank:(ugg), Crosby (yeah right), Yann Gourde, Mikael Granlund, or Brandon Tanev. Verhaeghe, Bennet, and Rantanen are going nowhere. I suppose Frederic, McLeod, Bjugstad, Dvorak, or Anthansiou, could be options but are they even an upgrade or available? I would say no. If Yann Gourde would be cheap enough I could see his style fitting in to RT hockey but are we willing to put up the same package as we did for Lindholm?

Personally I'm also a huge Blueger fan and I think he's still pretty damn good on that third line and he can carry the lumber there.

May 31, 2006
Our media is chock full of assholes of which Rutherford has no use for fabricated bs and terror reporting. I think it's a great move. Put them in their place. The garbage bin.
It also ensures the media doesn’t become too close/friendly with people in the organization and become their mouthpieces, as we saw with the Benning sycophants.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i never understood why media travelled with the team in the first place. it's a weird standard imo

now whether or not they should foot the bill for, at min, the radio call to travel with the team to call the game on a regular flight - they should absolutely be doing that.

Reactions: Vector

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
That's kind of a unique situation last year which I doubt happens this year. It's not every year you can just sign up for a player of Lindholm's quality as an expiring $5 mil contract. I definitely wouldn't expect a player like that to fall in our laps again. We also spent big asset wise for the trade as a reward for the unexpected great season. Not sure that happens again.

We could go after Tavares :frank:(ugg), Crosby (yeah right), Yann Gourde, Mikael Granlund, or Brandon Tanev. Verhaeghe, Bennet, and Rantanen are going nowhere. I suppose Frederic, McLeod, Bjugstad, Dvorak, or Anthansiou, could be options but are they even an upgrade or available? I would say no. If Yann Gourde would be cheap enough I could see his style fitting in to RT hockey but are we willing to put up the same package as we did for Lindholm?

Personally I'm also a huge Blueger fan and I think he's still pretty damn good on that third line and he can carry the lumber there.

That's exactly why it's a concern in my mind, because there aren't any readily apparent options right now that would make us considerably better at center. Last year we had the opportunity to ice a better lineup than we can this year (again, as of right now, maybe something shakes loose at the deadline), as a result I think my expectation are slightly more reserved than others.

I feel comfortable hoping for a top-3 finish in the division with a fiercely contested first round series.

Reactions: Nick Lang

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
Yah not sure I see an issue here. Keeping things under wraps is pretty key in any industry. My company would never allow an outsider (not employed by the company) to always travel or be around our teams other than in specific meetings.

I'm sure they sign NDA'S or something but that's not enough for this in my mind.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
don't the canucks already foot the bill for tv/radio production? i'm surprised they won't fly them out to games if that's the case

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
i never understood why media travelled with the team in the first place. it's a weird standard imo

now whether or not they should foot the bill for, at min, the radio call to travel with the team to call the game on a regular flight - they should absolutely be doing that.

I think it's a throwback to a bygone era where we didn't have the news cycle churn in the way that it exists today with twitter and everyone being a real-time insider.

Jobs and professional codes were also much more defined and structured than they are today. You had your PBP team, who weren't there looking for scoops, and you had your beat writer who covered the team in the newspaper or whatever - but again, they all had a steady solid job that would be put at risk if they were seen to be snooping around chasing gossip. None of these folks' ability to make an income relied on the kind of "attention economy," multi-platform, everything-needs-to-be-breaking-news-to-attract-eyeballs-and-keep-me-relevant model that we see now.

Like, Red Fisher wasn't keeping an ear open for salacious tidbits so he could have some thinly-vetted beans to spill on a bunch of live-streamed podcasts once the road trip was over. His primary job was very clearly defined as a journalist rather than an influencer.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It's pretty unprofessional for Sportsnet to mooch flights and then turn around to blame their partners because they can't be assed to move their media around on their own.

End of the day, it's Sportsnet's product thats going to suffer.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who cares about the media. if they want it bad enough pay your own bills and i certainly dont believe in this day and age of cancel culture i would want anyone near the team that might sewer them.

As far as 3C i am really curious how Raty comes along this year. I still hold out hope he's that guy long term. If your looking to re create Lindholm Brock Nelson is the guy

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I highly doubt Sportsnet (Rogers) is really going to last another 15 years. NBA threw away TNT for APV which was absolutely shocking from a fan perspective and you will likely see them or AppleTV make their footprints in Canada, which they’ve already done (Blue jays already appearing a fair amount on AppleTV). You also have to consider APV’s massive international presence which has been the contributing factor for the NBA making the switch.

Particularly in Canada where Rogers has a stronghold, I just don’t see the appeal the NHL would have keeping them over APV/Apple TV when its competitors have already begun switching over, particularly with APV which has the ability to stream towards a broader target audience which has been Bettman’s bottom line.

APV is already planned to be streaming NHL games on Mondays under Prime Monday Night Hockey as well as NHL Coast to Coast on Thursdays which is supposed to show real time highlights as they call it, analysis from former player/coaches and commentators, interviews, and behind the scenes stuff.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Our media is chock full of assholes of which Rutherford has no use for fabricated bs and terror reporting. I think it's a great move. Put them in their place. The garbage bin.

It would be Brendan Batchelor and Randip Janda or whoever is working with him. It's not like J Pat or Matt Sekeres would be hopping on the plane.

Reactions: MS and Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I am pretty sure JR and management would prefer that there is zero Canucks insider. There is a reason they announced their signing when free agent opened up instead of it coming up via Friedman/that fat, old looking but not really that old guy.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Are you a conspiracy theorist in day to day life or do you save it for hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad