Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
With Podkolzin gone, a guy who I kinda want us to go after is Vancouver boy Boris Katchouk on a two way contract. He could challenge Aman/PDG for 4th line duties. Has decent wheels, size, has some offensive chops as well as PK ability. I’m still surprised he isn’t signed.

Reactions: sting101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As far as I can tell, this wasn't Dhaliwal but Woodley.

1724256311681.png

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not sure about having a goaltender with uncertainties. He has had lots of time to rehab and be ready..If we can't count on him being healthy for the start of the year,then it's time to question moving on from this..
I mean, if Demko isn't healthy, how much interest is he going to have and how much are you going to get back?

A trade is out of the question. If he's healthy, the Canucks are in contention mode. If he's not, it's not looking good regardless of whatever moves in goal Allvin can make.

Once he's back, they need to load manage Demko much better. Two starts a week, max. 50 game hard cap.

One of Tocc's biggest mistakes (and I said this then) was running Demko too hard post-ASB and then watching him get predictably injured.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Perhaps, although this team essentially got to within 1 game of the Western Conference Finals without Demko, and frankly, its not like Silovs was the reason we didn't get to the Western Conference Finals.

I'm with @credulous in that if there is any concern over Demko's health then we should be spending a mid round pick or whatever on getting another goalie.
Silovs played over his head, and some of his flaws were exposed later in the EDM series. I'm not really buying that the team is "fine" with someone other than Demko. If that happens again, they're cooked.

Given Demko's health issues, they probably need another NHL-veteran goaltender in the org regardless. Sure, they could flip a pick for one, but I don't really think the quality of goaltender you'll find for a 3rd or 4th is any better than Lankinen for free.

Reactions: andora

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
With Podkolzin gone, a guy who I kinda want us to go after is Vancouver boy Boris Katchouk on a two way contract. He could challenge Aman/PDG for 4th line duties. Has decent wheels, size, has some offensive chops as well as PK ability. I’m still surprised he isn’t signed.
mentioned this back in June....agree would be a good signing for depth

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Spent 11 weeks in Spain, Italy, Greece and France enjoying life only to come home to:

1) Demko still being injured

2) Petey having documented knee issues and a 'excuse' for his play even tho management thinks he was not unhealthy.

3) Losing Zad and Cole ad replacing them w VD and Forb.

4) Losing Lindholm.

5) Losing Podz

6) Signing Debrusk long term

7) Over paying Hronek

Not a great summer to be a Canucks fan. Should have stayed in the EU

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I just don’t understand why you would give Myers 3 years with an NMC attached for the first 2 and then sign Desharnais to a 2x2 with Willander likely on the way.

Either they think Willander will be at least 2 years away (which if that’s the case then certainly a major disappointment of an 11 OA pick and I’d then prefer they use him as a trade piece) or the plan is to ride 4 RHD with Desharnais moved to the left side. Cause there’s no way you’re leaving a $2M contract on the press box and Foote/Tocchet were a major proponent in bringing Desharnais here in the first place.

To me it's pretty simple. Firstly, and most importantly having these guys under contract for 2/3 years absolves us of any worry during the larger OEL hits. It allows us to navigate through that seamlessly until the hit drops and cap goes up. It covers our asses during a tricky stretch.

Secondly I think they both naturally needed incentive to sign. With Myers he signed cheaper than he could have but got an extra year and the security he will be here by his son for 2 years at least. Desharnais needed a commitment from the team (deservedly so imo), and the team needed a commitment from him. It seems like a fair deal for both. He's not just a rented mule.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that Willander will be ready at the end of this year or even next year, so they are erring on the side of caution. Realistically if Willander comes in and knocks it out of the park Desharnais should be easily tradeable, or one player can become the 7th dman, or even buried in the AHL ... although Desharnais would set us back $900,000. Very reasonable plan in my books. Nothing fancy but adequate and smart considering our cap situation.

In all likelihood Willander becomes the 7th D next year or even the year after. I don't think Willander taking 2 years is a major disappointment at all. Lots of defenders/prospects take a couple of years to make it. Especially considering the path he's on. He's just currently learning the NA game in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can the Canucks accomplish this and still stay out of LTIR? Seems like whatever they end up doing, we may see a Tucker Poolman trade as well.
That’s a good point. If Demko is out long term then I assume they’ll be operating with LTIR anyway.

But maybe I’m wrong

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Spent 11 weeks in Spain, Italy, Greece and France enjoying life only to come home to:

2) Petey having documented knee issues and a 'excuse' for his play even tho management thinks he was not unhealthy.

4) Losing Lindholm.

5) Losing Podz

7) Over paying Hronek

yes getting VD is never a good thing

That’s a good point. If Demko is out long term then I assume they’ll be operating with LTIR anyway.

But maybe I’m wrong
we can still just put Demko on IR and get his cap but the problem is when he's ready to come back....Gonna have to find someone as close to a million as possible

• Haha
Reactions: Killer Orcas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yes getting VD is never a good thing

we can still just put Demko on IR and get his cap but the problem is when he's ready to come back....Gonna have to find someone as close to a million as possible
That's why they can't bring in anyone too expensive. LTIR is great if that player is not set to return in season. It doesn't give you much room to navigate if the player is returning in 6-10 weeks to make a move as you need to be cap compliant to bring that player off LTIR and you really can't bank on another injury at roughly that time. Looking at like a $1.1 mill guy whom you can send basically the entire cap hit down to Abby.

Reactions: sting101

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

But maybe I’m wrong
Would probably just be a case where they wouldn’t accrue capspace as long as Demko is on LTIR and then when he returns, the acquired goaltender or Silovs would be sent down to the minors to get back under the cap. As @sting101 mentioned, gotta be as cheap as possible, unless a Poolman trade is also part of the plan. Maybe they have another Pearson/DeSmith type trade in the hopper.

Reactions: Nucker101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can the Canucks accomplish this and still stay out of LTIR? Seems like whatever they end up doing, we may see a Tucker Poolman trade as well.

Depends on the contract AAV. They probably can by carrying a smaller roster (ie. waiving at least one 13F or depth defenseman). Currently around $191k in cap space, so you could maneuver around it if Lankinen signs for approx. $900k-$1M.

I would assume they'd look for a goalie that will carry a cap hit of $1M or lower, since they can probably accommodate that and stay under LTIR without anything outside of shuttling a guy to the farm.

Another way of saying it, if you just replace Podkolzin's contract dollar-for-dollar with a goalie, you're in basically the same spot as before the trade.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I mean, if Demko isn't healthy, how much interest is he going to have and how much are you going to get back?

A trade is out of the question. If he's healthy, the Canucks are in contention mode. If he's not, it's not looking good regardless of whatever moves in goal Allvin can make.

Once he's back, they need to load manage Demko much better. Two starts a week, max. 50 game hard cap.

One of Tocc's biggest mistakes (and I said this then) was running Demko too hard post-ASB and then watching him get predictably injured.

Yes, it's not like he was being managed to the degree I would liked to have seen. I don't know if it's our D is that bad or he just can't quit on a play, but he was routinely making 5-star saves last year 2 or 3 times a game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yes, it's not like he was being managed to the degree I would liked to have seen. I don't know if it's our D is that bad or he just can't quit on a play, but he was routinely making 5-star saves last year 2 or 3 times a game.
Another thing that IMO all NHL team should be using: An actual goalie "rotation". All starts are pre-planned, similar to starting pitchers in baseball. The rest/recovery period is predictable. They know the prep needed for their next game. And ideally having a third goalie to be the "ballcap guy" so even if the starter gets pulled, the other guy doesn't have to come into the game.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We'd have already seen a poolman trade if it was available for a reasonable price, this may be the impetus for paying a higher price to get the cap space.

Maybe we can get a goalie and dump poolman to the same team, not sure there's too many options for that however..

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We'd have already seen a poolman trade if it was available for a reasonable price, this may be the impetus for paying a higher price to get the cap space.

Maybe we can get a goalie and dump poolman to the same team, not sure there's too many options for that however..
That’s what I was wondering. Nobody here expected the Pearson/DeSmith trade when it happened. I’m wondering if there’s anything possible with Detroit involving Husso. Husso @ 50% retention for Poolman and a pick. Then when Demko returns Vancouver could demote Husso and only have about $1M~ counting against the cap rather then Poolman’s $2.5M. Not a fan of Husso, but something along those lines.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Silovs played over his head, and some of his flaws were exposed later in the EDM series. I'm not really buying that the team is "fine" with someone other than Demko. If that happens again, they're cooked.

Given Demko's health issues, they probably need another NHL-veteran goaltender in the org regardless. Sure, they could flip a pick for one, but I don't really think the quality of goaltender you'll find for a 3rd or 4th is any better than Lankinen for free.
I'm not sure what 'flaws' you're referring to. By the time you get to the conference semi-finals, the only teams left standing are the best eight teams in the NHL. And when you're playing a seven-game series against one of the top teams in the NHL night after night, the goalie under supreme duress.

And in the Canucks case, you're relying on your young goalie to shut down McDavid and Draisaitl, and a lethal PP. Silovs was hardly the reason the Canucks bowed out to the Oilers. Losing Boeser for gave #7 and Pettersson's relative ineffectiveness were far bigger factors.

When the regular season starts, and the Canucks are playing the likes of the Ducks, Sharks, Flames and the Kings, the Canucks should be just fine with Silovs between the pipes. If they could win with DeSmith last year; they can win with Silovs this year.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

4) Losing Lindholm.

5) Losing Podz

7) Over paying Hronek

Pretty much exactly the same for me:

Spent 11 weeks in Surrey, Brandon, Medicine Hat, and Saskatoon enjoying life only to come home to:

4) Losing Lindholm.

5) Losing Podz

7) Over paying Hronek

8) Bobby9 whining about everything Canucks

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With other teams announcing some PTOs for camp, I wonder if the Canucks go that route at all.

Justin Schultz is still floating around out there, and would be of interest to me to see what he has left in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad