Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Worst part of Demko rehab going slow besides the obvious(No Demko, concerns about how he’ll age) is that Tocchet wanted to open up the Canucks system for more offense this year and if Demko is out G1 and beyond I doubt Tocchet is going to feel comfortable doing that

Reactions: BimJenning

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if demko is questionably healthy the canucks really need to make a move for a goalie. silovs is promising but if he struggles and demko can't be relied on this team is sunk. it'd be negligent to risk losing the season to goalie issues when the acquisition cost for goalies is so low

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I wouldn’t be shocked if they sniffed around Askarov.

It might cost you a Lekkerimaki or Willander—but the potential of a goalie hitting far exceeds the return of a defenseman or winger hitting. Huge risk/reward either way.

It would be a big swing—but it feels like the sort of swing that Rutherford would make.
I wouldn't be surprised if they inquired about Askarov. I would be very surprised if they were willing to bring up either of the names you mention. I could see them offering Silovs and I'm not sure the Preds would shut that conversation down after having a very good seat at the Arty Party screening last May.

Askarov probably doesn't have the value to command a premium return because he's:

a goalie
disgruntled without cause
Russian.

Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The concern is less so that this is a one-time injury that and that the team needs to overcome not having him for 1/4, 1/2, all of the regular season…

But that there seems to be a pattern to these injuries that suggests there is something fundamentally wrong with the mechanics of Demko’s body that will cause these injuries to repeatedly occur.

His workload was managed last year far more than ever with DeSmith and his body still let him down in the stretch and then again in the playoffs.

The concern is more so that even if he rested all regular season and then came back for the playoffs that he would still be just as prone to injury as he was before and not be available for the most important games.

imo the team is good enough that a replacement level guy (ie. forsberg, or any of the guys vector mentioned) should be fine to float the team for half of the regular season. of course, things could go completely sideways and they could have a seattle 2023 / njd 2024 situation where awful goaltending in the face of an otherwise good team blows up the season, but that's a risk (to some degree) with demko. goalies are fickle like that.

the other side of which is that silovs, short sample or not, almost won two rounds for us.

i was fully on board for trading demko for a stud young rhd (bouchard was my pick) two years ago with the fear that we john gibson him. obviously, the canucks have had a very different trajectory than the ducks for the last half decade of gibson trade speculation, but if some gm is willing to take the flyer on demko getting healthy, we should still explore that route. replacement goalies don't cost much, and as much as this is used as a dumb crutch in arguments, we have ian clark.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wouldn’t be shocked if they sniffed around Askarov.

It might cost you a Lekkerimaki or Willander—but the potential of a goalie hitting far exceeds the return of a defenseman or winger hitting. Huge risk/reward either way.

It would be a big swing—but it feels like the sort of swing that Rutherford would make.

Maybe they check, but I doubt they pay the cost. The report today said they may be looking at cheaper veterans, DeSmith-type guys, and PTOs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe they check, but I doubt they pay the cost. The report today said they may be looking at cheaper veterans, DeSmith-type guys, and PTOs.

local guy Martin Jones, who they were rumored to be talking to at some point, is still unsigned.

so is Kevin Lankinen, who I thought was actually not terrible every time we saw him

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Wonder if the roster decision ultimately boils down to Podkolzin for a third NHL goaltender.

It makes a bit more sense that the Canucks circled back to DeSmith right before free agency, too.

Reactions: TruGr1t

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Sign Lankinen, keep him around until Demko is healthy.

No point making some kind of big move for a goalie (e.g. Askarov). If Demko isn't healthy, the season is done anyway.
I'm not sure about having a goaltender with uncertainties. He has had lots of time to rehab and be ready..If we can't count on him being healthy for the start of the year,then it's time to question moving on from this..

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Wonder if the roster decision ultimately boils down to Podkolzin for a third NHL goaltender.

It makes a bit more sense that the Canucks circled back to DeSmith right before free agency, too.

Probably all of the above. They wanted to open a contract slot, needed cap flexibility to accrue outside LTIR, and possibly look at PTOs and depth in goal.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I just don’t understand why you would give Myers 3 years with an NMC attached for the first 2 and then sign Desharnais to a 2x2 with Willander likely on the way.
It means they don't plan to rush Willander unless he blows the doors off their hinges. The AHL is an option for him.

Also keep in mind this management group isn't shy about signing a player for 2 years and then trading them in the second season (Desharnais).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’d bet we invite someone like Martin Jones / Lankinen on a PTO and end up signing them. Can’t see us risking going into the season with Silovs/Patera with no real vet.

Martin Jones seems like a prime PTO candidate for camp - or maybe even signed to a 1-year deal if Demko is indeed not ready to go.

That said, if the Canucks feel extremely confident that Demko isn't ready to go, maybe they want something a little stronger than a journeyman like Jones coupled with a young gamer like Silovs/Pitera.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Lankinen for no assets >>>

Promise him that you'll move him when Demko is back

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

-hearing that he is progressing but no timetable for when he'll be 100% healthy
-thinks that means the Canucks will poke around the goalie market
-mentions is a good time to talk to agents about PTO
-Canucks have been worried about Demko's rehab since the draft
-between the end of the Canucks' playoffs and the draft, Demko had not skated
-started talking to DeSmith around that time
-not hearing anything bad about Demko's rehab
-think Canucks are out there poking around the goalie market or a PTO
-were miles apart with DeSmith on a contract
-Dhaliwal has asked if Demko has had any medical procedures and gets "radio silence on the other end"
-just heard this week they are poking around the goalie market and making some calls
-maybe Demko's rehab is not going as fast as some would like

Reactions: Lindgren and God

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Silvos and whoever can carry the team through the season , you wonder if Demko can be LTIRed (especailly if he gets surgery) during the season and be brought back for the playoffs. If so, should open up some nice cap space.

Reactions: BimJenning

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Sign Lankinen, keep him around until Demko is healthy.

No point making some kind of big move for a goalie (e.g. Askarov). If Demko isn't healthy, the season is done anyway.
Perhaps, although this team essentially got to within 1 game of the Western Conference Finals without Demko, and frankly, its not like Silovs was the reason we didn't get to the Western Conference Finals.

I'm with @credulous in that if there is any concern over Demko's health then we should be spending a mid round pick or whatever on getting another goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad