Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
as of right now we will need 4-4.5 million (OEL BB6 HOG - Poolman Suter) just to keep things status quo with the same 1.5 for LD3.

Any deal for a Dman is either a rental or a salary in = salary out situation pending the Cap increase.

To get a top4 stud were moving Garland or a Hoglander Heinen Desharnais combination

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Cap man.. you can’t keep everyone..

hog - Miller - Boeser
DeBrusk - Petey - Garland
Joshua - Raty - Lekk
Heinen - Bluegar - Sherwood
Bains

Does the math even work?

Assuming the cap goes up by four million again, which is the projected estimation, then the math does work.

Raty, Bains and Lekk are all under 1M. Boeser, ideally, is given Miller's contract. Maybe slightly higher but not by much.

That would leave us with approximately 3.7M to sign a LD. So keeping Suter is possible, depending where we allocate our cap space. Slotting Raty in the third center is nice and all but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he'll take it yet. Granted, Blueger can move up just fine.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Assuming the cap goes up by four million again, which is the projected estimation, then the math does work.

Raty, Bains and Lekk are all under 1M. Boeser, ideally, is given Miller's contract. Maybe slightly higher but not by much.

That would leave us with approximately 3.7M to sign a LD. So keeping Suter is possible, depending where we allocate our cap space. Slotting Raty in the third center is nice and all but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he'll take it yet. Granted, Blueger can move up just fine.
Yeah but we have Mik retention and OEL dead cap. You don’t want to go against the cap if you want rentals and the D is probably where you want to spend the money. Suter at 1.5M or whatever is fine but like 2-3 is just not worth it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah but we have Mik retention and OEL dead cap. You don’t want to go against the cap if you want rentals and the D is probably where you want to spend the money. Suter at 1.5M or whatever is fine but like 2-3 is just not worth it.

That's why I said under 2M. Basically, I'd offer term but not dollar amount. Most I'd probably go is 1.8M, though I'd try to keep him at his current cap hit.

As for the rest, I already accounted for that. Here's your roster:

Canucks.PNG

Even with Mik and OEL, we still have 3.7M to play with. Not exactly much but enough to either keep the status quo or, preferably, upgrade our defense. The slight question mark is if Boeser signs for only 8M. Bains, Raty and Brannstrom are all RFAs. So they're not getting much.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
That's why I said under 2M. Basically, I'd offer term but not dollar amount. Most I'd probably go is 1.8M, though I'd try to keep him at his current cap hit.

View attachment 922057

Even with Mik and OEL, we still have 3.7M to play with. Not exactly much but enough to either keep the status quo or, preferably, upgrade our defense. The slight question mark is if Boeser signs for only 8M. Bains, Raty and Brannstrom are all RFAs. So they're not getting much.

There is where I start to get a little annoyed at players that won't take slight discounts to stay here. Someone's gonna have to start leaving a bit of money on the table if they want to win as a Canuck, Boeser might be one to do it. 🤞

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Yeah the heat Myers gets on here is hilarious. He's just fine as a second pairing RH D. The guy will play 1200 games. But I guess all GM's and coaches in this league are morons because "OBC".....

I mean we've seen several moron coaches and management types go through here (let alone other places) over the last decade so it's not like it's that uncommon.

Myers was excellent last season but there haven't been many stretches of his career prior to that where you could say he's a legit top-4 on a contender, including all of his time here.

He's struggled to start this season, looking more like his old self. Can't blame anyone for preferring to push him down the lineup if they are afraid he will return to his norm.

That said, it's up for debate whether we should be looking for help on the left or right.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I find it interesting that the guy who got Pettersson out of his last funk was the fun-loving, uber-supportive Boudreau, not this macho mind-f***ing bullshit that's apparently going on now. PPG since he came into the league, defensively elite. 25 years old, one of the only homegrown stars we've ever had. Sure, run him out of town.

Nobody should have to coddle an $11.6 million player. If this is the case then he is indeed a baby lol.

Besides, there's very little evidence that the team is being "mean" to him; the battle drill was a nothing-burger and the only negative thing Tocchet has said about him is that he needs to move his feet more which nobody can deny.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I mean we've seen several moron coaches and management types go through here (let alone other places) over the last decade so it's not like it's that uncommon.

Myers was excellent last season but there haven't been many stretches of his career prior to that where you could say he's a legit top-4 on a contender, including all of his time here.

He's struggled to start this season, looking more like his old self. Can't blame anyone for preferring to push him down the lineup if they are afraid he will return to his norm.

That said, it's up for debate whether we should be looking for help on the left or right.

I wouldn't even say he was "excellent" last year...he had a very good offensive season and played better than he had in previous years for sure...especially in the playoffs, it's probably the only reason why management agreed to bring him back, even at half the price...he was still quite the adventure in his own zone, as I believe he will continue to be...because he's never shown any real tangible growth as a defender...despite all the claims of him being a "student of the game".

Personally, anything we can do to take minutes away from Myers (especially on the PK) would be a benefit...so a top 4 RHD would be near the top of my list.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Canucks had a spare first rounder. He played a full season before they extended him. Hronek was a good player in Detroit. He didn't have a partner to play top pair with and Detroit was a weaker team. I got no idea why Detroit got rid of him. ...
Moritz Seider had taken over as Detroit's 1st pair right defenceman and was likely to be in that position for many years. Rather than pay his #2 RD the salary of a #1, Yzerman traded Hronek so he'd have additional cap space to use starting the following season and for the 1st and 2nd round picks he got in exchange.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

View attachment 922057

View attachment 922057

If we only gave so little cap we should use it to get like a more impactful player. Like trade away Heinen and use that money + more on a bette forward or trade away Desharnais and use that money on a top4 LD.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Nobody should have to coddle an $11.6 million player. If this is the case then he is indeed a baby lol.

Besides, there's very little evidence that the team is being "mean" to him; the battle drill was a nothing-burger and the only negative thing Tocchet has said about him is that he needs to move his feet more which nobody can deny.
I'm referring to this purported plan to get his teammates to try to toughen him up or whatever. I just hope that's not true. If there's something to say, the coaches should be the ones to say it. Don't screw around with a guy's teammates and play stupid games. And it doesn't matter what someone's getting paid - it's about doing what works and understanding what that thing is. Anyway, of the course the only person who can make that happen, ultimately, is Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad