Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Willander and D-Petey aren't even comparable at this point.

One of them looks like a sure fire top 4 d-man. A 'blue chip'.
The other we are all hoping will become an NHL'er one day...in any capacity.
then might as well stay status quo if they arent gonna trade of their top prospects. could hoglander be that piece? i know he resigned but teams might be interested.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
this is what happens when the previous regime traded picks like candy. no interesting ready prospects to step in at all.
I am not debating that, i know Benning sucked, f*** him.
I am just saying that even if we go all in, we need to do it in a way where we retain the people we pay assets for and you only go full rental when you are really really close. I don’t think we are there yet. If we get a LD this year and maybe some forward help, we should be able to keep that guy if Willander can come in and be a NHL guy with a ELC.

then might as well stay status quo if they arent gonna trade of their top prospects. could hoglander be that piece? i know he resigned but teams might be interested.
I mean, you can get a pretty good player with a 1st and b level prospect. If we are trading Willander, it will be for an all star level guy, that’s what blue chip prospect goes for.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

You have such a black and white concept of how teams plan and build and try to win.

Willander won't be traded and the team won't be staying status quo. Say it ain't so. Team will move a 1st this year to improve the blueline and the rest is wait and see.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
They had Myers as their RD2 last playoffs and took the Western Conference champs to 7 games. If you can upgrade the left side for less cost, it’s not a bad option.
Yeah the heat Myers gets on here is hilarious. He's just fine as a second pairing RH D. The guy will play 1200 games. But I guess all GM's and coaches in this league are morons because "OBC".....

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cap, we need to keep Willander with his ELC to get past the OEL cap hit

I think Willander should be close to being an untouchable but not for cap reasons.

I think relying on Willander to help the Canucks win a Cup in a top 4 role while on his ELC is a poor plan.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You have such a black and white concept of how teams plan and build and try to win.

Willander won't be traded and the team won't be staying status quo. Say it ain't so. Team will move a 1st this year to improve the blueline and the rest is wait and see.
Move a first?
The cap!
The team will need to move salaries.

Right now it doesn't appear that management is sure what direction to take the team.

If they had kept the majority of the players from last year moving maybe one player, this year they would at least have a group history but 8 players are gone so this group might as well be new.

Tocchet wants clones so any player can play his system but that is only good for the mushy middle.

Wait? For what? Miller ain't getting any younger or faster. Brock is probably gone, they can't afford his next deal and you have to wonder why keep him, the team has had only one winning season.
Since 2014 the Nux have had two winning seasons, 2016 and last year, is that some reason to keep those players?

Last edited:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
They had Myers as their RD2 last playoffs and took the Western Conference champs to 7 games. If you can upgrade the left side for less cost, it’s not a bad option.

It's also just way more sensible long-term to upgrade the left side. Willander should be ready next year in a bottom pairing role, which means he'll alternate in and out of the lineup with Myers/Deharnais. Acquire a long-term piece on the right side and all of a sudden there's no space for the team's best prospect.

Trading for a RHD is generally more expensive too, and the system is barren of long-term fits on the left side. Given the history between the organizations, I'd be shocked if Alvin doesn't try to go hard after Marcus Petterson as we get closer to the deadline.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think Willander should be close to being an untouchable but not for cap reasons.

I think relying on Willander to help the Canucks win a Cup in a top 4 role while on his ELC is a poor plan.
I think the plan is have him contributing like a 5.

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Top4 - Willander

And the last 2 paring are interchangeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad