Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I lean towards getting a LHD first for the top 4. Most likely candidate would be Provorov.

I might be on an island because I don't believe every D needs to be a monster that punishes the opponent. Liljegren can play hockey. Not as soft as many make him out to be. Can skate, move the puck. Those other right hand rentals aren't much better than VD.

Nick Jensen doesn't play for the Capitals anymore.

Lilegren probably comes pretty cheap as well.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't think paying assets for an LD makes sense. Soucy and Brannstrom are adequate at LD2 and LD3 (if there is a capable defenseman playing next to Soucy).

If you go get an LD, you bump Soucy down. But you're still left with Myers as your RD2 for the playoffs, which is untenable.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I lean towards getting a LHD first for the top 4. Most likely candidate would be Provorov.

I might be on an island because I don't believe every D needs to be a monster that punishes the opponent. Liljegren can play hockey. Not as soft as many make him out to be. Can skate, move the puck. Those other right hand rentals aren't much better than VD.

Nick Jensen doesn't play for the Capitals anymore.

Lilegren probably comes pretty cheap as well.
I don’t think Liljigren moves the needle. He’d be cheap but he’s really no better than what we already have. Not great defensively and not great offensively. Can’t crack the Leafs bottom pairing and he’s really stagnated in his development. His cap hit at over $3 million is also too much for what he brings. I’d like to target a clear top 4 guy even if it costs more.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I find it interesting that the guy who got Pettersson out of his last funk was the fun-loving, uber-supportive Boudreau, not this macho mind-f***ing bullshit that's apparently going on now. PPG since he came into the league, defensively elite. 25 years old, one of the only homegrown stars we've ever had. Sure, run him out of town.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think paying assets for an LD makes sense. Soucy and Brannstrom are adequate at LD2 and LD3 (if there is a capable defenseman playing next to Soucy).

If you go get an LD, you bump Soucy down. But you're still left with Myers as your RD2 for the playoffs, which is untenable.

I think it makes sense given the Canucks seem to like having two pairs below Hughes/Hronek that can switch off duties every other game. So if they can’t find a RD upgrade and are comfortable with Brannstrom, move him to the right side and find a solid LD upgrade. Let’s Soucy-Myers play more reasonable minutes while also giving Hughes/Hronek time to rest. Widens the search too so you aren’t entirely locked into a bidding war.

Reactions: Phrasing

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I don’t think Liljigren moves the needle. He’d be cheap but he’s really no better than what we already have. Not great defensively and not great offensively. Can’t crack the Leafs bottom pairing and he’s really stagnated in his development. His cap hit at over $3 million is also too much for what he brings. I’d like to target a clear top 4 guy even if it costs more.
He's a hell of a lot better than VD and Forbort. I wouldn't really trust Berube haha. Vince Dunn was playing sparingly by him in STL but when he got to Seattle it was very much a different story.

I don't know what's going on with TL in Toronto but I know that I've always thought his game was very underrated in Toronto.

If you could get a legit top 4 guy, I would but not so sure one will be available for a decent price. TL has potential to be a good 4/5 guy in Van and most likely would come pretty cheap.

They had Myers as their RD2 last playoffs and took the Western Conference champs to 7 games. If you can upgrade the left side for less cost, it’s not a bad option.
Upgrading the LHD would be like having Cole there like last season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think it’s easier to get a LD to babysit Desharnais than to get a RD and a LD to bump Forbort and Desharnais.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Really good article about how the numbers aren't great for Pettersson but they also indicate how offense is still being created with him on the ice. Show's how Pettersson is getting increasingly involved at 5v5 and that the PP involvement will have to follow.

The quibble I have is that you can’t assume he’s going to revert to career SH% norms. His xGF rates are down like 30% from his career norm and the team doesn’t seem to be generating nearly as high quality chances when he’s on the ice. More of the same isn’t necessarily going to result in pucks going in at a higher rate.

Reactions: God and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The quibble I have is that you can’t assume he’s going to revert to career SH% norms. His xGF rates are down like 30% from his career norm and the team doesn’t seem to be generating nearly as high quality chances when he’s on the ice. More of the same isn’t necessarily going to result in pucks going in at a higher rate.

Yes, that’s extremely fair. I don’t fully agree with Johnston’s conclusion. I do think it’s possible for Pettersson to get back to who he was by consistently getting on the score sheet and then improving the underlying from there.

Reactions: pitseleh

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
why not get both? kill two birds with one stone. RD could be a cheaper guy that can be moved up in case of injuries.
Where assets?
Also I think we still need more firepower up front.
If we can get a legit LD to carry Desharnais, then we can get another winger or center.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
guess we shall see. but if the mgmnt thinks they can win a cup with "this core in the next 2-3 years" they're gonna do it.
If we burn all our assets to acquire like 3 guys this TDL and both of them are like top4D, I am pretty sure we don’t have enough cap to retain all of them and without some ELC coming in, i doubt we can really go full all in. We can’t do a Lindholm and Zadorov every TDL where we spend assets and not retain them.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If we burn all our assets to acquire like 3 guys this TDL and both of them are like top4D, I am pretty sure we don’t have enough cap to retain all of them and without some ELC coming in, i doubt we can really go full all in. We can’t do a Lindholm and Zadorov every TDL where we spend assets and not retain them.
this is what happens when the previous regime traded picks like candy. no interesting ready prospects to step in at all.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
guess we shall see. but if the mgmnt thinks they can win a cup with "this core in the next 2-3 years" they're gonna do it.

Trade Willander? Not necessarily.

Just because you are a cup contender doesn't mean you plunge all your young assets down the toilet.

There's an equal to even greater chance that management sees Willander as being a piece to this blueline that we are missing.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Trade Willander? Not necessarily.

Just because you are a cup contender doesn't mean you plunge all your young assets down the toilet.

There's an equal to even greater chance that management sees Willander as being a piece to this blueline that we are missing.
or D petey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad