Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
i have not opened the pettersson thread for months. ep40 if you need advice on how to do that (or not do that i guess) send me a pm.
Are you talking to us or EP? I got one am fine with visiting the thread, it's not effecting me whatsoever. Him on the other hand...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yea comparing EP to PLD is a bit extreme. I think Pettersson’s issues are lack of confidence and dealing with and being able to elevate your game in times of adversity. Friedman spent about 5 seconds from what I can remember from that interview talking about his injury.

This is the interview I was referring to by Dubois (it's a translation from French so it's on reddit) :

Take it as you like, but I've always needed clear instructions to do my job 100%.
I'm mixed when there are grey areas. I've been working on it since I was young. And from my first conversations with the team, I didn't really know what was expected of me. I didn't know where I was. You can't play well when you're asking yourself too many questions.
Maybe it was me who was too demanding to want to be explained the way forward. It's obviously my fault it didn't work.
I tried to take up the challenge but I stayed in a grey area all year. I didn't feel at home. The players tried to help me and I wanted it to unlock, but it just didn't work.
Professionally, it was the worst scenario. You want to please your team, the people around you.

To me, if Pettersson gives an honest interview years from now about what happened in 2024, it will sound almost exactly like this. The specific points causing a problem might be different, but I think the overall mindset is very similar where someone is lost in his own head and shuts down.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Come on, man.

Tocchet just called him out for not competing and moving his feet and pooh-poohed the injury stuff. The team is literally trying to have players intervene to get him to snap out of it.

This shit isn't normal. And it isn't 'to take him to another level'. It's to try and fix a guy who has 1 ES goal in his last 45 games.

PLD actually gave a really insightful interview during the summer when he talked about how he was a guy who needed structure and feedback and a clearly defined role and when he didn't get that he drifted, got confused, and his game fell apart. There were no problems with his compete in Winnipeg and I don't think that PLD 'didn't care/try' any more than Pettersson doesn't.

I think they're very similar personality types where they need things a certain way and need the wind at their back and when they hit turbulence they just kind of shut down.

Pettersson was also laying the groundwork to get traded from here in exactly the same fashion as PLD/Tkachuk before the team got good.

Again, Tocchet literally just called him out for not moving his feet and rubbished the injury stuff.

This is deep-seeded stuff that the franchise is obviously very concerned about, as they should be.
I pointed out Petey's point production over the last 3+ seasons.

Under Green's last year, Bruce and then Tocchet.

It is clear that EP had a dramatic drop in production the season Green was canned until Bruce got here then there was a resurgence. Kuz - 39 goals, EP 100+ points

The next season's start EP's line was dynamic, Kuz, Mik, EP with 69pts in 50 games. Then Kuz is traded, pressure is increased on EP to sign, Mikheyev is placed on 3rd/4th line roles, EP production drops to 24 pts in 31 gms and only 6pts in 13 playoff games. Those 44 games he had 8 goals in 44 games. And now this season 0 goals and 3 pts in 6 games.

Some posters defend EP by saying he still has a knee injury but ignore he is spending extra time practicing on or with an injury. (IMO still concussion related maybe)

If EP continues as things are or only improves to a 80pt guy he won't be worth the contract.
That isn't saying he couldn't be that 100+point guy but apparently not with outside pressure or under Tocchet.
For the player, a new place would be better, a fresh start where he won't be under the microscope ALL the time.

In a place like Columbus his present turmoil would get maybe, maybe 10 minutes a day on one or two small outlets, here or other Canadian cities and a very few US cities he is 10+ hours a day. I doubt fans in Carolina know much more about him than he has a big salary and has had a 100+ point season.

It might be wise for Tocchet to trade him. I say Tocchet because of the radical changes in direction this team has taken and the costs to do it.

Right now the Canucks are getting the advantage of SJ and Anaheim rebuilding, LA with aging stars, a surprise but a retooling Calgary and another aging Vegas team.

For the good of EP's talent and the good of the return for an EP trade it might be time sooner than later.
Some players and coaches just don't meld together well despite the intentions.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I feel more and more that EP is just not a Tocchet/Allvin/JR type player and he will be traded. This team was built a very deliberate way from the poor treatment of Boudreau to hire Tocchet, to the trade of Horvat to keep Miller (who at that time was seen as the whiny, floaty divisive character in the room), to the trade of 39G man Kuzmenko, it's quite obvious the type and style of player they want. EP might just not be that guy for this management group.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I feel more and more that EP is just not a Tocchet/Allvin/JR type player and he will be traded. This team was built a very deliberate way from the poor treatment of Boudreau to hire Tocchet, to the trade of Horvat to keep Miller (who at that time was seen as the whiny, floaty divisive character in the room), to the trade of 39G man Kuzmenko, it's quite obvious the type and style of player they want. EP might just not be that guy for this management group.

i do think there's a coaching issue with pettersson. naively i'd always keep the player over the coach in that scenario but there's an argument in this case that the canucks are on the clock with regards to competing and they aren't gonna fire tocchet in the near term so maybe a trade is the right path

i have a hard time seeing a trade that actually helps the team get better though. maybe montreal for dvorak, matheson plus but that leaves a pretty big hole at c

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
i do think there's a coaching issue with pettersson. naively i'd always keep the player over the coach in that scenario but there's an argument in this case that the canucks are on the clock with regards to competing and they aren't gonna fire tocchet in the near term so maybe a trade is the right path

i have a hard time seeing a trade that actually helps the team get better though. maybe montreal for dvorak, matheson plus but that leaves a pretty big hole at c

I think Tocc is safe because this comes all the way from the top. Look at all the ppl they have brought in and how they have become successful. They are all a particular style of north south player. It's all a machine and maybe EP just doesn't "fit".

To be honest, I can't imagine getting the former whiny floater to call you a baby is any way of positive encouragement that EP actually needs. Pressuring him to sign when he was not ready to is also questionable. Different people/players need different things to be successful and for EP this is just not "it".

Reactions: credulous

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

f*** Mike Matheson.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I hate the idea of giving up on Pettersson. It will probably be a decade before we find another forward as talented as he is.

If it does come to a head, I wonder if a team like Utah would put together an enticing package for a star like Pettersson. They're a new franchise and a star center is a corner stone for any group. They've got picks and propspects out the wazoo.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sooner they trade him the better, let his huge contract and low compete level be someone else's problem before it's too late.
Thankfully mgmt has brains and balls so atleast the possibility exists.

• Haha
Reactions: supercanuck

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm sorry but the coddling required for Pettersson right now is pathetic.

At some point, the business element of this takes over, and it's right around when he became the highest paid player in franchise history. No business owner in the world would keep a highly paid employee that performs at a 50% level. Period. People lose their jobs for far, far less these days.

He is a professional athlete living in one of the greatest cities in the world to be rich, making more money per game than the average household makes in a year. Yes, he's human, but I'd trade his problems for mine a thousand times over.

My boss treats me like shit some days too. My coworkers have opinions about me that aren't all sunshine and rainbows. That's just kind of what happens when the company has to pay you what you're actually worth and they aren't finding ways to exploit you anymore.

Wait what? Is this actually a thing? I thought someone was just making a joke.

I don't mean to fan any flames if that was indeed a joke. That wasn't based on anything of substance.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I hate the idea of giving up on Pettersson. It will probably be a decade before we find another forward as talented as he is.

If it does come to a head, I wonder if a team like Utah would put together an enticing package for a star like Pettersson. They're a new franchise and a star center is a corner stone for any group. They've got picks and propspects out the wazoo.

The thought process has to be about bringing in three or four young, cost controlled pieces that are ready to contribute now and can become impact players during Hughes' remaining years.

He has to be the focus of the franchise moving forward.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
The thought process has to be about bringing in three or four young, cost controlled pieces that are ready to contribute now and can become impact players during Hughes' remaining years.

He has to be the focus of the franchise moving forward.
Yeah, saying picks and prospects was not accurate. I was envisioning another deal similar to what Tampa got for Sergachev. Cap space, plus some young players, and maybe some futures thrown in. The team can turn around and use the futures and cap space to make some deals.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That was a pretty shocking podcast segment on Pettersson. My takeaways of what they discussed:

1. The organization is not happy with Pettersson's state and are now taking unconventional measures to address it. It's not great that they feel like management, or the coach are no longer appropriate avenues to address whatever is going on.

2. This is the first time we've ever really heard of him having some negative influences from those around him. Putting that out in the public is going to be a positive development—especially when it’s those people around him that are consuming the negativity and feeding it to him?

3. I know he just signed the extension—but this feels an awful lot like a player and team that recognizes there needs to be a trade or fresh start for everyone involved. Clock is ticking before that NMC kicks in...

FWIW, point 1 is really not at all unconventional. It’s absolutely normal for coaches lean on players in the room to help address things that they believe will be better handled within the room, or messaging that is going to be better received from peers.

Reactions: Flik

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Jesus. Pettersson needs to get his house in order. Sounds like he has some toxic friendships.

Miller seems like the worst person to engage with him on this, but if Hughes can't get through, the organization needs to insist he gets some support. Short leash from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad