Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yep i fought my best friend in practice. Took a couple weeks but we were back to best of friends by then. We laughed about it for years. In the end we concluded we're just fiery competitors and it was a good thing. Also knew you could count on each other to watch each others backs.

Last year was Garland vs Joshua

Lalji is an idiot for adding the "baby" quote......what a tool. Takes it to another level when you make those comments public

Media is there to report, whether you like what they report or not...as long as its accurate it should be reported IMO. How you choose to interpret the reporting is up to you...at least that's how I view it.

Reactions: Flik, MS and Wisp

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
To be clear, he wasn't waived after this training camp but last year's.
Yes i know....I was pining for a Rathbone for Christiansen deal going back a couple years and have continued to pound the drum. Kid has an incredible work ethic and is completely devoted and professional. It was just a matter of time till he broke through. Not sure about upside but as a 3LD he would have been a great get on the cheap. Smart sound puck mover. And Brannstrom is ok too i just wonder if he'll have any heavy hockey chops at all come the time where with JC i wouldn't be worried at all

Reactions: MS and Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Media is there to report, whether you like what they report or not...as long as its accurate it should be reported IMO. How you choose to interpret the reporting is up to you...at least that's how I view it.
Yes and that's exactly right. Farhan obviously could give 2 shits about this being on HNIC or nationwide though once you add the comments. Could have just said "choice words" but as per the narrative of Miller vs Pettersson threw the "Baby" comment.

Ferraro obviously quickly defended this and you can tell given his "football" comment that he wasn't impressed either. It's a choice....classless imo

Whatever....I'm with MS and others hope this lights a fire under his ass. Coach has said he "needs to move his feet", Miller calls him a "baby" Hughes looks him off on the PP. Half assed celebrations and congrats when Boeser scores the other night. If this persists we could have the biggest hockey story in Canada by December.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes and that's exactly right. Farhan obviously could give 2 shits about this being on HNIC or nationwide though once you add the comments. Could have just said "choice words" but as per the narrative of Miller vs Pettersson threw the "Baby" comment.

Ferraro obviously quickly defended this and you can tell given his "football" comment that he wasn't impressed either. It's a choice....classless imo

Whatever....I'm with MS and others hope this lights a fire under his ass. Coach has said he "needs to move his feet", Miller calls him a "baby" Hughes looks him off on the PP. Half assed celebrations and congrats when Boeser scores the other night. If this persists we could have the biggest hockey story in Canada by December.

Those Tocchet quotes are ... something, given the reactions here in recent months when anyone here had the audacity to suggest he needed to check in and move his feet.

Reactions: sting101

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

I agree....I'm hoping its Miller just trying to stoke a fire.

As far as Lalji is concerned, I think I would take more issue with the fact that the context can be misconstrued...Miller may have said something fairly benign like "Don't be a baby", or, he could have been a little more vociferous like "You're such a f***ing baby"...contextually I think there is a wide margin of offense that could have been taken and to just throw out "allegedly called a baby" leaves a lot for peoples imaginations to run with...if you don't have the context or the full quote, you should probably leave it out of the conversation...but its not a huge deal IMO.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He said the same himself.

I'm sure he has.

But the central problem here is that Pettersson has not been moving his legs and competing for a long time which is 'obvious' in Tocchet's words. The last few games have been a bit better. Hopefully yesterday's events light some further fire under his ass.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Yes i know....I was pining for a Rathbone for Christiansen deal going back a couple years and have continued to pound the drum. Kid has an incredible work ethic and is completely devoted and professional. It was just a matter of time till he broke through. Not sure about upside but as a 3LD he would have been a great get on the cheap. Smart sound puck mover. And Brannstrom is ok too i just wonder if he'll have any heavy hockey chops at all come the time where with JC i wouldn't be worried at all
It was Kolyachonok that I was hoping for, in the latter half of the 21-22 season. There was excitement over Rathbone's AHL points totals but he didn't seem to have the defensive chops for the NHL.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'm sure he has.

But the central problem here is that Pettersson has not been moving his legs and competing for a long time which is 'obvious' in Tocchet's words. The last few games have been a bit better. Hopefully yesterday's events light some further fire under his ass.

See, here's the thing, and I want to avoid a huge back and forth with you on this, but I'll just say that I think you fundamentally misunderstand this player. These kinds of things might light a fire under JT Miller's ass, but Pettersson just doesn't need a fire lit under him. Increased pressure has only had a negative affect on his play.

I'm choosing to interpret Tocchet's words as saying that Pettersson just needs to go out there and play. If I were Tocchet, I'd challenge him to set personal records for missed shots and turnovers. Just give him free reign to follow his instincts.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
See, here's the thing, and I want to avoid a huge back and forth with you on this, but I'll just say that I think you fundamentally misunderstand this player. These kinds of things might light a fire under JT Miller's ass, but Pettersson just doesn't need a fire lit under him. Increased pressure has only had a negative affect on his play.

I'm choosing to interpret Tocchet's words as saying that Pettersson just needs to go out there and play. If I were Tocchet, I'd challenge him to set personal records for missed shots and turnovers. Just give him free reign to follow his instincts.

I don't want to go through this again either but I think there's a big difference between fan/media pressure (which I agree he doesn't handle well) and a 'WAKE UP' sort of slap in the face and getting engaged and riled up in a practice and hopefully carrying that over to a game.

When he's playing well, he's competing. Hard. And that hasn't been there in a long time.

Reactions: Ernie and Vector

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Damn always wanted Theodore going back to his draft but i also recognize he might not be the best stylistic fit and is 30 next year.

I watched Seattle a lot in the Barzal Theodore days. Loved both those guys. Skating and skill was so unreal. Kolesar and Bear always impressed me too. Frig i still can't believe Barzal fell that far in the draft. Had him and Connor 8-9 and BOS passed on them both LOL

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
100% Price and Sekeras come up with content from here. Would be crazy not too. Best arguments and objective fans the Canucks have.

Prove i'm biased :laugh:

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Those Tocchet quotes are ... something, given the reactions here in recent months when anyone here had the audacity to suggest he needed to check in and move his feet.

I don't want to go through this again either but I think there's a big difference between fan/media pressure (which I agree he doesn't handle well) and a 'WAKE UP' sort of slap in the face and getting engaged and riled up in a practice and hopefully carrying that over to a game.

When he's playing well, he's competing. Hard. And that hasn't been there in a long time.

You don't want to go through this again but you want to bring it up trying to take a victory lap and frame yourself as the victim of the discourse here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad