Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Alright alright alright!

Time to right the ship. I wonder when Joshua will be back. He's a key to this team being able to dictate the game.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
wonder what it would cost to get Josh Anderson at 50% retained ($2.75M x 2).

Our forward group is incredibly soft and his speed and physicality if anything would be valuable. + hes 30 and has shown he can provide some secondary scoring.

Hes a neg value asset even with a good
chunk of his salary retained so im thinking Sprong + 3rd + prospect or something.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Our forward group is incredibly soft and his speed and physicality if anything would be valuable. + hes 30 and has shown he can provide some secondary scoring.

chunk of his salary retained so im thinking Sprong + 3rd + prospect or something.

No interest in adding a 4th liner @ 2.75M x 2 regardless of his "tools".

Reactions: arttk and bossram

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yeah, the cap space that is currently available and being accrued needs to be used on more pressing matters.

1. a top 4 D, probably LD
2. maybe a top 6 winger
3. probably an upgrade to the 3rd line center (not Lindholm-esque in price tag)

4. maybe another bottom pair d-man depending on how Forbort/Desharnais look in a few months.

edit: f*** IT A TOP 4 RD AS WELL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Anderson straight up sucks.

Even at 50% retained, that's a "stay far away" contract.

It would be MTL having to pay something substantial to get someone to take him on.

IMO I don't see much of a problem with the forward group right now, and they'll get a boost once Joshua is back.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
anderson might suck but the canucks need to get bigger and faster up front. i know no one agrees with me but their wings are amongst the worst group in the league imo

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
anderson might suck but the canucks need to get bigger and faster up front. i know no one agrees with me but their wings are amongst the worst group in the league imo
He's basically the Habs Loui Eriksson, even in feisty games where you think he'd thrive, he's going through the motions.

The defense is a far greater concern than the forward group.

Reactions: Vector

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
A reality of this trade deadline is that Vancouver and Edmonton will likely be competing for the same defensemen (think Rasmus Andersson, Marcus Pettersson, etc.)

You may not just be trading for a player just to improve your roster—but to prevent yourself from having to play against that player in your playoff bracket.

A team like Calgary or Pittsburgh is probably licking their lips at the thought of the treasures they could get from such an arms war.

• Haha
Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Yeah, the cap space that is currently available and being accrued needs to be used on more pressing matters.

1. a top 4 D, probably LD
2. maybe a top 6 winger
3. probably an upgrade to the 3rd line center (not Lindholm-esque in price tag)

4. maybe another bottom pair d-man depending on how Forbort/Desharnais look in a few months.
1.marcus petterson or gavrikov/povorov.
2.josh anderson. big strong. his caphit is a bit rich but whatever. forward still needs size.
3.find the cheapest 3C without breaking the bank. maybe b-c level prospect.

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
Cant help but think about an alternate universe.

Lets just assume the Petey trade was Kotkaniemi for cap, a 1st and a top prospect for Carolina like Nadeau at its lowest range.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Lekkerimaki
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Suter - Kotkaniemi - Sherwood
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Myers
Soucy - Juulsen
Forbort - Friedman

Demko - Silovs

Canes 1st turned into #34 and #50..

Bradley Nadeau RW
Dominik Badinka RD
Nikita Artamonov LW

That team has 500k capspace so would have needed to juggle a bit still but oh what could have been

• Haha
Reactions: supercanuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Having watched Anderson for a while now lemme say, you really don't want him at any price. He's incredibly streaky, doesn't use his size whatsoever and when he's cold, he's nonexistent.

Basically, he's what we already have in Heinen right now. Except Heinen can kill penalties and is expected to be better once he adjusts to a new team. Anderson... is what he is.

Why people talking about adding forwards. Should be enough talent there for the coaches to figure it out. Defense looks like a gong show.

And this is the other reason I don't have much interest in forwards. They'll figure themselves out. Or at the very least should. We have one D pair and an aged veteran playing way above what anyone expected but really being asked to do too much. It's going to bite us at some point.

We absolutely need an Andersson, Pettersson or Theodore type. Problem is, paying them to stay afterwards because thanks to Dim Jim, we're saddled with 4.7M next season in dead space.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
I think maybe the whole organization has been overconfident heading into this season. The off-season acquisitions are very playoff focused: filled out the roster with speed on the wings and big lumbering defensive d-men; coaching staff is determined to lengthen the leash on their system to let their stars shine; about half the team looks like they are expecting the magic to just strike again.

I have a pet theory about pro hockey: a team's success is proportional to the work they were putting in a couple months ago. It goes both ways--if you are playing poorly, it's going to take months of hard work to get on top of it and start performing better; and if you are winning, you can take your foot off the gas a bit, enjoy the winning, and coast for a few months until the shit starts hitting the fan.

Last season was a MASSIVE success for this team, given where expectations were. The way they were winning, too, was hugely dependent on their work ethic and fitness, their dedication and execution of their system, and it seemed like everyone had their timing and were clicking right off the hop at the season opener. They were reaching their potential, scraping their ceiling even. There isn't a coach on the planet that can manufacture the sense of urgency they had last season; it took years of disastrous failure and embarrassment to cultivate. This time, they've been expecting to make the playoffs all summer, exactly as most fans are, and we are all thinking realistically about the cup now. A few players have said as much.

We can see they look like shit though, so I think its going to be a rough ride through the first couple months of the year. The urgency has yet to set in. It will eventually, and then give it a few stressful months of losing while doing everything to win, and we'll eventually push through onto the right side of things. I'm hoping anyway.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Our defensive group just is not strong enough. Letting a Zadorov walk may end up hurting us a lot. We need Botha left and right top four and Soucey/Myers needs to be the third pair. Not sure how you work it out for the cap hit or the assets.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Cant help but think about an alternate universe.

Lets just assume the Petey trade was Kotkaniemi for cap, a 1st and a top prospect for Carolina like Nadeau at its lowest range.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Lekkerimaki
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Suter - Kotkaniemi - Sherwood
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Myers
Soucy - Juulsen
Forbort - Friedman

Demko - Silovs

Canes 1st turned into #34 and #50..

Bradley Nadeau RW
Dominik Badinka RD
Nikita Artamonov LW

That team has 500k capspace so would have needed to juggle a bit still but oh what could have been
I’d still rather have Pettersson.

That said, the rumoured offer from Carolina was said to be based around Necas, which makes sense as they weren’t able to come to terms on a long term contract and signed a bridge deal to UFA instead. If you add Necas to that lineup it becomes more interesting to me. Not sure that’s even possible capwise though.

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Debrusk and Sherwood signings where ok
We did not need Heinin or Sprong..that money should have been spent on defense..

Well Sprong makes $225K above league minimum and you can bury his cap hit on the farm. He's a niche player. Put him on out there on the 4th line for 11-13 minutes a night against lesser competition and let him do his thing.

On D, we basically swapped Zadorov and Cole for Forbort and Desharnais. That's a huge downgrade.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That said, the rumoured offer from Carolina was said to be based around Necas, which makes sense as they weren’t able to come to terms on a long term contract and signed a bridge deal to UFA instead. If you add Necas to that lineup it becomes more interesting to me. Not sure that’s even possible capwise though.
EP for Necas and Kotkaniemi, maybe even add a late pick would have been a big plus for the Canucks.
Then they could have signed Necas to his 8+ mil contract and paid both for just slightly more than EP alone

Necas - Kot and Debrusk contracts = 17 + mil
drop Heinen, Sprong and Sherwood plus EP's contracts = 17 mil

Or not sign Debrusk and sign Heinen and Sherwood instead.

What do the 3 GM's actually do?

The OEL jettisoning handcuffs the Canucks from taking that next step and will for the next three years.

Do you think they would or should keep the same core players if the team is failing yet again? Most have been here on a losing team for their entire careers.
EP, Hughes, Boeser, Garland and Demko have all played 80% or more of their careers on losing this losing team, maybe it's time to change things up.
I kinda thought that was what Rutherford was going to do, I believed that last year's team was close to taking a step but still needed to trade away a 5+ million dollar player, one of the two that sked for a trade anyway.
But it became clear the more games the team won the more power was given Tocchet to eliminate players he didn't like. The between period interview stated as much.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I think anytime you have a really
Good year teams start to prepare for you more. You can see now teams are playing them really hard. Last year they weren’t really supposed to be good.

Biggest thing I notice is the lack of puck movement from the backend. Forbert is much worse than I thought. Deharnais can’t move the puck either.

Brandstrom or Wohlanon would help immensely. The team will likely trade another 1st rounder for some help. I woild prefer to wait until Willander is ready and just plug him in.

EP also playing like a 4th liner isn’t helping either.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Losing Zadorov and Cole were two huge loses. Both vets add a physical element to the game. Both have playoff experience and are well liked in the locker room. The leadership and defensive awareness alone were huge losses.

Myers at 3 million is a fair deal, but to choose him over Zadorov and make him their first priority is a real head scratcher. I really miss the big Z.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Losing Zadorov and Cole were two huge loses. Both vets add a physical element to the game. Both have playoff experience and are well liked in the locker room. The leadership and defensive awareness alone were huge losses.

Myers at 3 million is a fair deal, but to choose him over Zadorov and make him their first priority is a real head scratcher. I really miss the big Z.

I think Zadorov was always gone, they never really thought they'd be able to give him the contract he wanted. I believe Cole is an underrated, and perhaps unnecessary loss, who played a big role in lessening the load on Myers/Soucy and could pretty capably handle pretty much top-four minutes with a variety of partners (especially in the regular season).

Reactions: Nick Lang

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad