• Czechia

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Congrats Portugal.

I was hoping we could squeak out a point.

Having said that.. Czechs battled hard and played fine.

Portugal is clearly a higher tier here. The goals were a bit flukey but they were clearly dominant.

Shame.

I'll say.

Not sure what the keeper was thinking on that first goal, batting the ball directly off his defender's shin and into the net. What a backbreaker. :help:

Reactions: cgf and luiginb

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Meh, I don't really feel sorry for teams who come into these things to defend for 90 and hope for a result. You're not going to win anyways, go out like Georgia instead of going down hanging on for dear life.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Deserved win in the end for Portugal, but man would it have been fun if they had lost. I know I'm projecting a lot of my frustration with Neuer clinging on, onto this portugal team...but I think both our NTs are being massively hampered by these old timers' egos.

I remember that Ronaldo 2004-06 and that was a much worse player than 'striker Ronaldo' we saw emerge later on.
Fully agreed. But people's memories of that ronaldo always warped how they viewed the actually successful ronaldo.

If Portugal uses these group games to adjust the competitors are in trouble

Is that Roberto Martinez's music?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Meh, I don't really feel sorry for teams who come into these things to defend for 90 and hope for a result. You're not going to win anyways, go out like Georgia instead of going down hanging on for dear life.
If they had played like Georgia, they would have conceded 5 or 6, no disrespect to Turkey but that's not a fully operational Portugal. In the context of the group their approach made total sense. They draw vs Turkey and beat Georgia and they're pretty likely to advance.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Congrats Portugal.

I was hoping we could squeak out a point.

Having said that.. Czechs battled hard and played fine.

Portugal is clearly a higher tier here. The goals were a bit flukey but they were clearly dominant.

Shame.
How does this game make you feel going into the Georgia and Turkey games?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
How does this game make you feel going into the Georgia and Turkey games?
I think both are winnable but 50-50 type scenarios. Hoping to beat Georgia clean and then the Turkey game will be a nailbiter IMO.

I like how we defended. I wouldn't mind seeing how we attack next time!

Reactions: robertmac43

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

:sarcasm:
NINTCHDBPICT000232040579.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Luckily Jogi isn't around to bail them out this time :naughty:

...we're just way worse defensively & in goal than we were back then...
Hey let's not pin that on Germany..I don't think we ever played them in 2016.

I mean honestly if you look at Portugal's path back then..they played Iceland, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Poland, Wales before meeting France in the Final, in which they then proceeded to hold out for a 0-0 to score the lucky 1-0 in ET. I mean that may have been the least impressive run to a tournament triumph in the history of any major tournament. It was basically Greece minus any underdog romance.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Replace a guy who can't cross worth shit (Leao) for a guy thst can cross and voilà, goal.
Leao legit awful with his passes. He can pass a dman but what purpose is it if he skymails it to absolutely no one consistently

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Forgot there was soccer talk on here lol.

Awful team selection by Hasek imo. Yes they defended well but no creativity. That 1st half was hard to watch.
Would have liked to see Hlozek, D.Jurasek, or Cerny. I really think they could have been more impactful. Schick had nothing to play with, he deserves better.
Definitely were playing the defensive strategy.

Shame we couldn’t get at least 1 point. That late goal hurt. That was a clear foul.

Gotta beat Georgia and that won’t be easy. They looked great today.
Either way go Czechs go!

Reactions: maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey let's not pin that on Germany..I don't think we ever played them in 2016.

I mean honestly if you look at Portugal's path back then..they played Iceland, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Poland, Wales before meeting France in the Final, in which they then proceeded to hold out for a 0-0 to score the lucky 1-0 in ET. I mean that may have been the least impressive run to a tournament triumph in the history of any major tournament. It was basically Greece minus any underdog romance.

We should’ve beaten France and then we would’ve played them in the final, where we should’ve won.

2010 we were outclassed…although we should’ve been up 1-0 going into halftime…and 2018 we were too arrogant, complacent, and lazy.

But 2012-2016 were all tourneys we could’ve won, with the later two being ones we should’ve won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad