Griffin Reinhart [UPD: Recalled After Davidson Injury] - Pt II

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
if he plays well, he might be the trading chip we use this summer. The cap might actually go down and that puts a lot of teams in a world of hurt. An NHL ready young dman on a cheap contract would be worth a lot to a team trying to trade an expensive dman.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hope he can show something this time around and cement his place in the lineup for next year; if he doesn't, he is going to have a hard time cracking the lineup next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hope he can show something this time around and cement his place in the lineup for next year; if he doesn't, he is going to have a hard time cracking the lineup next year.

as far as I'm concerned anyone can put in the work and flip the script. Reinhart could have an unspectacular stretch to finish the season, and then still force his way onto the team next training camp after a full summer of working on his flaws. We're not near the do-or-die point with this prospect yet.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
as far as I'm concerned anyone can put in the work and flip the script. Reinhart could have an unspectacular stretch to finish the season, and then still force his way onto the team next training camp after a full summer of working on his flaws. We're not near the do-or-die point with this prospect yet.

If Chia acquires 2 legit D-men this offseason (which he pretty much needs to do), you'll have those players, Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson clearly ahead of him, so he'll be fighting for a spot with Nurse, Fayne (if not traded), and Gryba/Pardy (if re-signed).

I'm not bullish on his chances if he can't play his way onto a defensive unit with only 1-2 NHL caliber players on it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Chia acquires 2 legit D-men this offseason (which he pretty much needs to do), you'll have those players, Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson clearly ahead of him, so he'll be fighting for a spot with Nurse, Fayne (if not traded), and Gryba/Pardy (if re-signed).

I'm not bullish on his chances if he can't play his way onto a defensive unit with only 1-2 NHL caliber players on it.

If he knocks it out of the park but still doesn't make it, then he'll be first call up. That would be great too. I also highly doubt we could possibly add two impact D this summer, especially if we're not trading any of our current D in the process. Chiarelli is a good GM but he's not a magician.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
It is fitting that Griffin is number 8. Half the player that Davidson is...

Jun 9, 2011
I like Griffin and think he needs to get some time in the NHL. I really believe he will end up as a steady defender, but he needs experience and time to get there.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton

I think maybe being an Oilers fan has made me extremely jaded, but (especially after this recent injury) I'm not ready to pencil Davidson in for a prominent role next year. He's looked great for about 40 games this season. I've been burned too many times to be ready to just assume his development path won't plateau or even take a downturn.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see getting Oesterle instead. Nurse and Reinhart should both be in the AHL for development purposes. However, Oesterle was mainly good because he was stapled to Davidson the whole time. I doubt he could look nearly as good next to whichever partner he would get now.

I think the other factor in picking Reinhart is that he can play the right side. I think we started putting Davidson on the right side because Oesterle couldn't. It turned out that Davidson could play the right side just as well and I think he stayed there until his injury.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think maybe being an Oilers fan has made me extremely jaded, but (especially after this recent injury) I'm not ready to pencil Davidson in for a prominent role next year. He's looked great for about 40 games this season. I've been burned too many times to be ready to just assume his development path won't plateau or even take a downturn.
I agree. We've seen this movie before.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Glad to see the big cat is getting another chance. Hopefully he has a great stretch of games here to close out the season.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
It is fitting that Griffin is number 8. Half the player that Davidson is...

It's also worth mentioning that when Davidson was Grif's age, dear Brandon wasn't even a speck on the map. Grif has already had good, even very good games at both the AHL and NHL level.

I have always liked Big Cat. I, like anyone who watched him tower in junior, think he has that extra gear in him to make an impact in the bigs, but the clock is starting to run on him. My major concern is that he has always been a very confident fellow, which isn't a fault, certainly, but he has routinely seemed to dismiss concerns about his weaknesses, such as skating and physicality. He has always seemed to believe that if he thinks he's good enough in an area, then that's it. Everyone else can get on board his ship or get lost. Eventually, he has to admit his faults, and put in the work to improve them to expected levels.
That being said, what an atrocious year it's been for his development. The trade, the injury, the constant reassigning, demoting, shuffling, scratching. The poor kid would have been better off in Bridgeport, with stability, where he could continue his development. Better than the circus that has been his year.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
It's also worth mentioning that when Davidson was Grif's age, dear Brandon wasn't even a speck on the map. Grif has already had good, even very good games at both the AHL and NHL level.

I have always liked Big Cat. I, like anyone who watched him tower in junior, think he has that extra gear in him to make an impact in the bigs, but the clock is starting to run on him. My major concern is that he has always been a very confident fellow, which isn't a fault, certainly, but he has routinely seemed to dismiss concerns about his weaknesses, such as skating and physicality. He has always seemed to believe that if he thinks he's good enough in an area, then that's it. Everyone else can get on board his ship or get lost. Eventually, he has to admit his faults, and put in the work to improve them to expected levels.
That being said, what an atrocious year it's been for his development. The trade, the injury, the constant reassigning, demoting, shuffling, scratching. The poor kid would have been better off in Bridgeport, with stability, where he could continue his development. Better than the circus that has been his year.

That's immaturity.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It is very possible that Davidson's play has cut the must get wish list for the off season to 1 defenseman, especially if that guy is higher end. Not saying that they won't be looking for more on the back end but it may be a one step at a time thing. Assuming Davidson plays similarly to this year, a defense like

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Davidson
Nurse Gryba/Pardy
Reinhart

is about 1000 times better than anything the team has been able to ice this year. It's still lacking the high end offensive guy but at least most of these guys can move the puck a little.

It would not surprise me to see Schultz turn things around but the defense without him even as it is has been night and day better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It will be nice to have a bit of an idea of where we stand going into next year.

What stock can we really put into it though? I just look at Purcell, Fayne, Lander and Draisaitl to name a few. Purcell and Draisaitl had their issues last year and we didn't know where they were going to end up for this year. Most wanted Ld in AHL for quite awhile until he showed well in tc, most wanted Purcell waived. Then you have Fayne and Lander. Lander flat out looked awful compared to where he was headed last year. Fayne while he turned it around was suppose to be a solid 18-20min a guy, but was waived.

And this is a mix of rookies and vets, so I really don't know that what Reinhart does from now until the end of the year really has an implications on what PC does this off-season. Regardless he will need to bring in depth and challenge Reinhart.

It's also not like Reinhart is coming into a favourable situation where he has guys to shelter him. At best I hope his confidence doesn't get ruined and he learns that he needs to do what LD did last summer and get faster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad