• 2013-15 Hawks

• 2012-14 Kings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As of now its Hawks simply because 3 cups in 6 > 2 cups

+ Hawks/Kings runs coincided and as result a potential 3 peat for both teams was upended running into each other in Conference Finals in 2013 (Hawks won) and 2014 (Kings won)

Wont be shocked if TB wins a few more though given talent on team especially young talent

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Agreed with the Penguins, especially considering the 2nd cup was won without Letang at all in the playoffs which is unbelievable when you look at their defense that playoff run

Yeah. When it comes down to it, the only really common core between the Pens three Cup wins...is more or less Sid and Malkin. Pretty much everything else around them was reconfigured from run to run. From starting goaltenders, to top defenceman, to the revolving door of wingers that come and go, to coaches. Even when it comes to Sid and Malkin, i think you can say that their different runs were driven differently - with both guys taking a turn at the helm. Just pretty different ways of getting it done each time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Not after TB won their 2nd Cup in such a controversial manner. Still can't figure our how they were able to sign McDavid for Game 7.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
who was the greatest of the past 10 years?

so many different ways to take your question.

Pens won back to back, and that's the greater accomplishment, so I voted them.
Which of the teams who won multiple cups had the greatest roster? Probably Chicago
Which of the teams who won multiple cups had the greatest individual playoff run? Probably LA 2012...although I even like 2014 with the 0-3 comeback

Tampa could hypothetically overtake Pitt and Chicago for answers 1 and 2 if they win.

Problem is - I don't think they will win. And instead of 2 cups - they'll have the 2 biggest choke jobs in NHL history. 0-4 sweep in round 1 to Columbus, followed by a reverse sweep in the finals, to a major underdog. Sucks for them

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

+ Hawks/Kings runs coincided and as result a potential 3 peat for both teams was upended running into each other in Conference Finals in 2013 (Hawks won) and 2014 (Kings won)

Wont be shocked if TB wins a few more though given talent on team especially young talent

Agreed, the only thing that gives me pause right now is the lack of elite competition.

It's gotta be Kings/Hawks throwing haymakers at each other. The juggernauts the Kings faced in 2014 were unreal.

Hawks
Kings
Pens
Lightning

For now. Though I think you could write the Pens' repeat as more impressive than the Kings, and the TBL team visibly being on a crazy good level too. But to me the Hawks are the clear winner for both duration and strength of competition.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
there's also a strong argument that it's the flukiest cup ever won though

shortened seasons happen sometimes, divisions change sometimes

but as far as I know last year is the only time play has stopped for multiple months in the middle of the season right before the Playoffs, and that has a pretty giant effect on how teams will play

Play stopped for everyone, not just Tampa. And the fact that they are about to repeat and have made 5 ECF (3 SCF) in the last 7 years tells me it wasn't a fluke.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
LA and Chicago had to play each other in the Conference finals in 2013 and 2014 though, with each one winning once. They both might have won 3 straight if they didn't have to face another team at this level. Tampa hasn't had the face that and it's arguable whether the Caps were that for the Pens.

This is a fair point.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

Which of the teams who won multiple cups had the greatest roster? Probably Chicago
Which of the teams who won multiple cups had the greatest individual playoff run? Probably LA 2012...although I even like 2014 with the 0-3 comeback

Tampa could hypothetically overtake Pitt and Chicago for answers 1 and 2 if they win.

Problem is - I don't think they will win. And instead of 2 cups - they'll have the 2 biggest choke jobs in NHL history. 0-4 sweep in round 1 to Columbus, followed by a reverse sweep in the finals, to a major underdog. Sucks for them
Not gonna happen...

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
If the Pens and Lightning’s runs coincided with each other’s, this would be a little more fair. Kings and Hawks could have both three-peated if not for each other.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Chicago and LA are tied in my mind, because they had to contend with each other. I don't feel any of the others had that same elite rival standing in their way to overcome.
Yeah because when Pitt had to play against the perpetual Presidents winning/contending Capitals every year in the 2nd round there was no elite rival to overcome?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Chicago and LA are tied in my mind, because they had to contend with each other. I don't feel any of the others had that same elite rival standing in their way to overcome.

And if the Pens didn't have to contend with the 2008 Red Wings, they'd have theoretically won 4 Cups over 9 years, including twice winning back to back.

I know the Pens' 3rd Cup wasn't included in the OP, but if we're playing the "could have" game the Pens core faced arguably the toughest team of the bunch (the late 2000's Red Wings) twice in the finals and came away with 1 Cup. That should easily offset the Hawks and Kings having to face each other in terms of "number of Cups they could have won if not for facing a powerhouse".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

2013 is an asterisk season though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Same could easily be said for Penguins and Capitals in 16,17,18 if we are playing hypotheticals. Pens have 3 cups in 3 years as many viewed the “real Stanley cup” that series.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Kane’s injury allowing them to bring in Vermette for one.

The point is Chicago won 2 in 3 years in a shortened season. PIT did back to back in 82 games.
I would say CHI had tougher opponents int he playoffs (TB, BOS, LA, ANA) than PIT did (SJ, NSH, WSH x2)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I would say CHI had tougher opponents int he playoffs (TB, BOS, LA, ANA) than PIT did (SJ, NSH, WSH x2)

PIT went through Tampa Bay in 2016 and the President’s Trophy Winner in 2016, 2017. Call me when Chicago wins a cup without Duncan Keith.

CHI also was going up against the Wild, Red Wings and Nashville in those years too.

All of this doesn’t matter though. One team on this list won back to back in 82 game seasons. Even if you want to expand this to include the last ten seasons. Every team has a conference final and two cup appearances. PIT is the only team to make the playoff every year though. So I guess what do you value? Longevity or peak? If it is longevity how do you argue against PIT? If it is peak how do you argue against actually winning two cups in a row?

I would buy the argument of Tampa’s longevity if they win this year over PIT’s if you want to remove the asterisk given they are the only team with 3 SCFs in the last ten years. CHI and LA aren’t close though.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
PIT went through Tampa Bay in 2016 and the President’s Trophy Winner in 2016, 2017. Call me when Chicago wins a cup without Duncan Keith.

CHI also was going up against the Wild, Red Wings and Nashville in those years too.

All of this doesn’t matter though. One team on this list won back to back in 82 game seasons. Even if you want to expand this to include the last ten seasons. Every team has a conference final and two cup appearances. PIT is the only team to make the playoff every year though. So I guess what do you value? Longevity or peak? If it is longevity how do you argue against PIT? If it is peak how do you argue against actually winning two cups in a row?

I would buy the argument Tampa’s longevity over PIT’s if you want to remove the asterisk given they are the only team with 3 SCFs in the last ten years.
I shouldve worded the poll question differently then , shouldve been which "championship teams" were best, not which team was best in the last 10 years. Hence why I wrote then years in the poll options.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I shouldve worded the poll question differently then , shouldve been which "championship teams" were best, not which team was best in the last 10 years. Hence why I wrote then years in the poll options.

So is the poll question which team had the best roster over the years listed?

Or which individual team was the best championship squad?

If it is best individual team, I think it is hard to bet against last year's Lightning.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If the Pens and Lightning’s runs coincided with each other’s, this would be a little more fair. Kings and Hawks could have both three-peated if not for each other.
Pens and caps coincided with each other. If pens didn't win in 16 and 17 the caps would have. And if pit gets by caps in 18, imo they threepeat.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad