Greatest franchise out of the 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you think?

• Total voters

Crow

May 19, 2014
Good poll I honestly don’t know. Very close. All of these teams have had a similar amount of mediocre success and all of them have warts with long droughts. I really can’t decide at all but I’m going to vote Edmonton because in my mind they had the greatest team ever. Also they are the best right now and might win again this year or soon after.

I think I’d go:

EDM
PIT
CHI
BOS

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Edmonton and Pittsburgh are the cream of the crop over the last 45 years or so. Most Cups, most SCF appearances, best players, and so on. Boston and Chicago have 40-50 years on both franchises, while having access to winning Cups in a 6 team league, and only have a single win more each.

Reactions: Czechboy

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
PIT for me

won 5 times in a 21-30 team league over 3 different decades, 3 in the cap era!

yes its fun to tank at the right time, cest la vie

Edmonton may have had the greatest dynasty, but it ended 33 years ago....

Last edited:
Reactions: BigEezyE22

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Have to agree with above.. pens and oilers have had a few less decades to win cups and are pretty close to Boston and Chicago for cup wins.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Don’t really love saying this but there’s a reason my grandpa who switches teams on the regular over the course of his life( depending on who’s good) has landed on Pittsburgh (at one point a flyers fan). Went with them

Edmonton is like a modern cup back imo

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens and Oilers are basically mirror images for each conference. Oilers more successful in the Gretzky/Messier era, Penguins more successful in the Crosby/Malkin era. 5 cups each.

I take Pittsburgh by a hair since Edmonton doesn't have any cups in the cap era. And because I'm a homer.

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Chicago is clearly last.

Boston has a big plus on being the first American franchise.

Won Cups in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 70s, and 2010s. Were a big deal in the 50s and late 80s too.

Penguins and Oilers have had great success, but outside their big years with Lemieux/Crosby/Gretzky/Messier/McDavid have been largely mediocre.

The highs of Edmonton and Pittsburgh are high enough that I get voting for them. But Boston has the extra 40+ years of history and greatness.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton has the widely agreed upon GOAT player in his peak/prime plus the greatest team ever (1985 Oilers voted on and honored by the NHL) the greatest modern player arguably and also 5 Cups, 8 Finals.

That's not too shabby.

Pittsburgh would be right there.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
there's no argument for edmonton over pittsburgh, and you probably give the edge to boston over chicago despite the latter's 3 cups in the cap era. i went with pittsburgh.
In your world, maybe.

Edmonton edges out the Pens. Slightly more cups per season average and literally hold every single regular season and playoff team records other than wins and points. Things like PP, Pk, GF, all time playoff records, most players at the top of every offensive category.

Pens are no slouch

Both separate from Boston / Chicago last 50 years.

If we are at ... where do the rest of the franchises sit. I'm sure the Canucks crack the top 15 in Gods world.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
there's no argument for edmonton over pittsburgh, and you probably give the edge to boston over chicago despite the latter's 3 cups in the cap era. i went with pittsburgh.
What is the argument for Pittsburgh over Edmonton? I voted Pittsburgh but it was damn close. Curious what your reasons are as I could've easily flipped the other way.

Reactions: Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad