Greatest franchise out of the 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you think?

• Total voters

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
What is the argument for Pittsburgh over Edmonton? I voted Pittsburgh but it was damn close. Curious what your reasons are as I could've easily flipped the other way.
Edmonton's cups all come from the same team (more or less), while Pittsburgh has gone all the way with Lemieux and Crosby. Plus Pittsburgh has had like... one bad period of ~4 years since Lemieux while Edmonton has had 10+ since Gretzky. Obviously, I change my pick to to Edmonton if the current Oilers are able to make it all the way with McDrai.

Reactions: Coffees

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton's cups all come from the same team (more or less), while Pittsburgh has gone all the way with Lemieux and Crosby. Plus Pittsburgh has had like... one bad period of ~4 years since Lemieux while Edmonton has had 10+ since Gretzky. Obviously, I change my pick to to Edmonton if the current Oilers are able to make it all the way with McDrai.

Technically they won without Gretzky (and Coffey and Fuhr) which is actually unbelievable, I don't think other dynasty teams could replicate that.

Reactions: RattsSSV and zar

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Habs fan voting for the hated Bruins.

history - 1st US team
longevity
sustained success
4th OA with 6 cups

Chicago has six cups too, and they check the boxes of longevity and history, but they were an absolute embarrassment for decades under Bill Wirtz. A 40 year black hole

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
To be honest, I'm changing my vote to Edmonton... and not because I'm a fan (which I am but I originally went PIttsburgh)... here is why!

Pens joined the NHL in 1967
Oilers joined in 1979

So Pen's have a 12 year advantage

1726535066395.png

They are tied in cups
Oilers have been in the finals 8 times to 6 times in 12 less seasons.

I think it's very close but that broke it for me after my initial Pen's vote.

I'd love to see a similar pole of teams that have entered the league at same time and have had similar tenures in NHL as that is why I left out Boston and Chicago...

Although, to that end, they had a massive head start on both teams and have 1 more cup then Oilers and Penns despite playing in 6 team leauges and having several decade leads on the record books.

And last one... when Pens joined there were 12 teams
When Oilers joined there were 21 teams

Player wise I'd say Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, McD, Drai are on a simlar plane with Jagr, Lemieux, Malkin and Crosby

Pens have made the playoffs

1726535342160.png

37 out of 56 for a 66% playoff ratio

Oilers have made the playoffs
1726535413117.png

26 out of 44 for a 59% playoff ratio

Reactions: PuckG

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
To be honest, I'm changing my vote to Edmonton... and not because I'm a fan (which I am but I originally went PIttsburgh)... here is why!

Pens joined the NHL in 1967
Oilers joined in 1979

So Pen's have a 12 year advantage

View attachment 907389

They are tied in cups
Oilers have been in the finals 8 times to 6 times in 12 less seasons.

I think it's very close but that broke it for me after my initial Pen's vote.

I'd love to see a similar pole of teams that have entered the league at same time and have had similar tenures in NHL as that is why I left out Boston and Chicago...

Although, to that end, they had a massive head start on both teams and have 1 more cup then Oilers and Penns despite playing in 6 team leauges and having several decade leads on the record books.

And last one... when Pens joined there were 12 teams
When Oilers joined there were 21 teams

Player wise I'd say Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, McD, Drai are on a simlar plane with Jagr, Lemieux, Malkin and Crosby

Pens have made the playoffs

View attachment 907392

37 out of 56 for a 66% playoff ratio

Oilers have made the playoffs
View attachment 907393

26 out of 44 for a 59% playoff ratio

Edmonton is really an interesting one, most of their success is on the back of Gretzky. So they didn’t go through the struggles like other teams did. I give Pittsburgh the nod simply because they had to work for the success a bit more.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Edmonton is really an interesting one, most of their success is on the back of Gretzky. So they didn’t go through the struggles like other teams did. I give Pittsburgh the nod simply because they had to work for the success a bit more.
Pittsburgh has had some generational guys themselves.

our finals appearances (and losses) are quite spread out too! Cups are clustered but we were in the finals a few times outside of Gretzky.

But I do agree.. it's very close and might come down to preference.

I grew up loving the Pens because of the Czechs and the Oilers because they were always my team. For awhile the Pen's were Czech central.lol

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Pittsburgh has had some generational guys themselves.

our finals appearances (and losses) are quite spread out too! Cups are clustered but we were in the finals a few times outside of Gretzky.

But I do agree.. it's very close and might come down to preference.

I grew up loving the Pens because of the Czechs and the Oilers because they were always my team. For awhile the Pen's were Czech central.lol
Yeah it’s really pretence between the two. Arguments can be made for either team

Reactions: Czechboy

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
there's no argument for edmonton over pittsburgh, and you probably give the edge to boston over chicago despite the latter's 3 cups in the cap era. i went with pittsburgh.
Agreed. I guess no one remembers the dark days of oilers having bust after bust or dissapointments. Not to mention pitt has 5 cups since the oilers last cup. 3 of those cups in a cap era is more impressive to me than a stacked oilers dynasty. Add in lemieux’s pens era to Crosby pens era, pens win this race by a good margin. With that said, mcdavid and co. Can narrow the gap, time will tell

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
PIT for me

won 5 times in a 21-30 team league over 3 different decades, 3 in the cap era!

yes its fun to tank at the right time, cest la vie

Edmonton may have had the greatest dynasty, but it ended 33 years ago.... We're kind of fortunate/lucky too that the WHA Indianapolis Racers were liquidated and sold to Pocklington, landing them Gretzky and Messier without a legitimate draft.
The Oilers drafted Messier in the 1979 draft. In like the third round

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Boston and really not close. Sure Oilers and Pens have had some great players and teams but Boston has much more history and just as many stars over their history.

200w.gif

"Some" great players, try like those two franchises have virtually monopolized the best players of the last 40 years.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid, Jagr, Messier, Draisaitl, Coffey, Kurri, it's an absurd embarrassment of riches.

Gretzky isn't even just considered the best hockey player, he has a case as the greatest modern pro athlete in team sports period. It's him, Jordan, Brady, Messi, and maybe a few others.

There's been four or five generational players in the modern era (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid ... maybe you can put Ovechkin in that group too), 4/5 going to Edmonton and Pittsburgh is actually fairly unlikely.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
PIT for me

won 5 times in a 21-30 team league over 3 different decades, 3 in the cap era!

yes its fun to tank at the right time, cest la vie

Edmonton may have had the greatest dynasty, but it ended 33 years ago.... We're kind of fortunate/lucky too that the WHA Indianapolis Racers were liquidated and sold to Pocklington, landing them Gretzky and Messier without a legitimate draft.
Messier was drafted, Gretzky was gifted due to shrewd business dealings. This is why I have Pittsburgh above them

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You'll never see this again in hockey, probably not even in team sports

4SC5cOl.jpg

Nine players on an All-Star team, including the best player in the world by 10 country miles, and the head coach for good measure, lol.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The Oilers did not get Messier from Indianapolis. He was sent to Cincinnati, until the WHA folded. Then he was drafted by the Oilers in 1979

Reactions: amnesiac

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers did not get Messier from Indianapolis. He was sent to Cincinnati, until the WHA folded. Then he was drafted by the Oilers in 1979

They more or less drafted their dynasty, Messier, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr, Lowe, Kurri, Tikkanen was already a team good enough to win multiple Cups.

They won without Gretzky, Coffey, and Fuhr for good measure, no other team in the history of the NHL I doubt you could remove the no.1 forward, no.1 D, and no.1 goalie and they still win anyway.

You had to remove Kurri from the Oilers in 1991, and with Messier hurt they *still* made the freaking Conference Finals and still beat the Calgary Flames that had a lot of their core from the 89 Cup team still intact, lol.

They beat Gretzky head to head multiple times too.

Gretzky was destined to be in Edmonton, anyone else could have offered $100 more and gotten him. Some teams are just meant to happen.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
What is the argument for Pittsburgh over Edmonton? I voted Pittsburgh but it was damn close. Curious what your reasons are as I could've easily flipped the other way.
Pittsburgh has been the better team for the vast majority of the past 33 years. They also won 5 cups during that period, over a lengthy period of time, compared to the Oilers winning 5 cups in 7 seasons.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t know Pittsburgh had some pretty garbage years even with Lemieux. Oilers at that time were a scrappy underdog that managed to upset a couple of the 5 teams that won cups in that 9 or so year span. Oilers had one of the worst stretches ever from 2007-2016 but the pens had some absolute garbage years in there as well through the first half of the 2000’s. Edmonton hasn’t won in the cap era but has been to the finals twice and lost in game 7 both times. Pretty wild how 2 games could completely flip that script.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad