Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins, 2024 - 2025 Season

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's not about being a Selke player. It's that there is literally a minimum threshold in the NHL for play off the puck (with the exception given to a handful of very elite offensive players). It will be critical for Lombardi to meet this threshold in order to be an NHLer, otherwise his offense will be irrelevant and he will remain an AHL player, like so many others who didn't reach that minimum threshold.

I'm all for him getting top-6 minutes in the A, but I'm more concerned about his off-puck play, given his size. Guys his size can make it, but it's more difficult, and certain aspects of their games will be justifiably more scrutinized.
If you have concerns about his size regarding off-puck play, Lombardi would be much better served going all gas no brakes on offense. f*** the battles and ball out. He's never going to be a guy that dominates board battles so ignore them and score like your hockey life depends on it.

Reactions: Konnan511

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
If you have concerns about his size regarding off-puck play, Lombardi would be much better served going all gas no brakes on offense. f*** the battles and ball out. He's never going to be a guy that dominates board battles so ignore them and score like your hockey life depends on it.
I did not enjoy Andreas Athanasiou the first time around though.

He doesn't need to dominate board battles, but he also cannot just bail out on them (I'll give him a pass if he turns into a 100-point player). And board battles are only one facet off off-puck play. How's the backcheck? How's the forecheck? How's the general effort level without the puck? How's the positioning? How's the reads? The list goes on. These things matter in the NHL, no matter how much offense you bring. And, collectively, there is a minimal level a player needs to be at, which is made more difficult when you're smaller.

My preference for Lombardi is that he reaches his full potential. And his full potential includes being at least adequate in most facets of the game. Losing every puck battle is just not good enough. And if you were to ask Lombardi he'd say the same.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I did not enjoy Andreas Athanasiou the first time around though.

He doesn't need to dominate board battles, but he also cannot just bail out on them (I'll give him a pass if he turns into a 100-point player). And board battles are only one facet off off-puck play. How's the backcheck? How's the forecheck? How's the general effort level without the puck? How's the positioning? How's the reads? The list goes on. These things matter in the NHL, no matter how much offense you bring. And, collectively, there is a minimal level a player needs to be at, which is made more difficult when you're smaller.

My preference for Lombardi is that he reaches his full potential. And his full potential includes being at least adequate in most facets of the game. Losing every puck battle is just not good enough. And if you were to ask Lombardi he'd say the same.
Do you want to watch Lombardi chip n chase or do you want to watch Lombardi hit dingers? I vote dingers...

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yet you compared AA to Lombardi? Are you drunk?
No I didn't, I made sarcastic comment that you can't compare them

I did liked AA but for totally different reasons, Lombardi needs to get stronger for us to know what he is capable, same apply to most of our prospects

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is he playing top or second line center? If yes it's good , but if he is third line player, not good at all, it's means he doesn't have skilled players around him
I haven't watched a game yet this year, but even last year he played a good amount of minutes. I wouldn't look at how a social media team lists lines on game day as gospel to their playing time though. He's on special teams, he's lighting it up, its safe to say he's getting plenty of ice time this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad