Grading 2024 Free Agency

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Overall a D+

Re-signing Kane was an A- move.
Not getting rid of Holl or Copp is an F.
Tarasenko is OK, but replace one old Vet with another in Perron.
Talbot? Meh.
Gus is a worse version of Ghost.
A whole lot of 4th and 5th liners signed, bleh.

Lots of players out there for reasonable contracts or trades and we whiffed on them all.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Overall a D+

Talbot? Meh.

Lots of players out there for reasonable contracts or trades and we whiffed on them all.
The two players that we should have gotten rid of, which I agree, are two mistakes from past FA periods. Those guys have negative value; no team would pick them up on waivers. That's something we won't have to worry about after this year's record breaking FA spending spree.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Bleacher report graded it D+. I'd say C. Defense that was already bad at best stayed bad. We need to make a move. I'd sell some farm pieces for someone like Rasmus Andersson.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
C

Way too much blind faith on our current guys and prospects to step in and make up for lost points. It will take all of them overachieving for us to make the playoffs with the points lost over FA

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Overall a D+

Talbot? Meh.

The team is fundamentally the same or worse right now than they were when they started last year for sure. I wish I could get into Stevie's head on this. This isn't tank, and this won't get Detroit into the playoffs, let alone get them past easy first round matchup status and Larkin is staring down 30 hard right now.

spoiler this happened at the end

5 hours and 39 minutes until dreamcatcher tickets go live

that said I dont like justice

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wanted to try to give it some time, but if in fact a trade is not coming I would grade this off-season pretty poorly.

After not seeing our name mentioned with the likes of Roy, Pesce, or Skjei... the logical conclusion to me was oh, we are not pursuing this because we have a trade in the hopper that is a better fit.

OK, cool.

If we did not land any of the guys above, and have no trades coming, that is bad.
(If all their eggs were in the Trouba basket and they had no Plan B, that is still bad).

I would have deemed it essential to bring in at least one proven top 4 defenseman. It was pretty obvious Seider was in over his head with the touch matchups last year, a guy like Pesce or Roy would have been a tremendous help in distributing those minutes better. And then the additional benefit is you find a good partner for Edvinsson as well. So really a 2:1 there in terms of the importance of bringing in a quality middle pairing guy.

I think not making that happen is going to be a significant issue for us.

The only possible silver lining is they run Edvinsson on the top pair with Seider from the jump and he grabs the opportunity, or they run Chiarot-Johansson on the middle pair and somehow that is just a combo that works well. But I am skeptical they will give those young guys that big of a chance from the get-go. You will probably see something like Chiarot-Seider on the top pair and Edvinsson-Petry on the middle pair, or shit like that.

Reactions: raymond23

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Montour was +1 on the best 5 on 5 team in the league last season. Overpaying for a 30 year old second pairing defenseman for a 7 year contract MAY have gotten us one round in the playoffs but not much more. We may get there anyway. We've already overpaid recently for what have turned out to be 3rd line players, that would likely be 4th line players on a contender. And 3rd pairing dmen that don't even dress sometimes.

If your goal is to simply get one round of the playoffs, I'd give this a D grade. If your goal is to build a contender it was good to stay out of this year's free agent circus. I give it a B+. We're on the right track and have been improving each season. Why get saddled with a bunch of bad long term contracts that will hinder that progress. If a big impact player becomes available Stevie needs to be able to respond.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad