Grading 2024 Free Agency

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Note: with Yzerman giving his press conference yesterday, it seems like most of the heavy lifting has been completed. I will update this post if there are any additional moves.

Needs: In the free agency frenzy thread I asked if anyone disagreed with these as being the organizational needs and didn't see anything, so here is what we needed as we entered July 1.

• Scoring line center
  • Scoring line left wing
  • Top LD
  • 2nd pair RD
  • Goalie who can provide ~40 quality starts

Scoring line center: INC

There was only one guy available and Stamkos went for max money. Nothing wrong with that. Yzerman indicated they tried to get involved with one of the big fish but making a competitive offer would have required "major surgery". That sounds like they were seriously considering making a bid for Stamkos. Unfortunately Detroit is stuck with Copp and Compher at center until Nate Danielson and Marco Kasper are ready.

Scoring line LW: B-

There were two options available at LW, with Jeff Skinner signing the most team friendly deal after being bought out by Buffalo. Anthony Duclair signed for 4 years which is probably a bit too much term for a guy who routinely plays less than 60 games per year. A one-year deal for Skinner at $3 million would be a steal, but he preferred playing with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Can't really blame him.

Detroit did re-sign Patrick Kane and also added Vladimir Tarasenko, but that creates a log jam at RW. Between them and Jonatan Berggren, the Red Wings may be set at the wing position for both scoring lines. It's not an ideal situation, but they need to replace 63 goals lost between Gost, Perron, Sprong and Fabbri; a full season with Kane and Tarasenko should should result in somewhere between 20-25 goals for each winger.

Top pairing LD: INC

The top options appeared to be Brady Skjei and Nikita Zadorov, but the term for both was probably much longer than anything Yzerman wanted to consider. He mentioned the term players were receiving as being shocking, and both guys seem to be beneficiaries of the crazy amount of term being handed out in free agency. So like center, we are stuck with a place holder until the prospects work their way up the defensive pairings.

Second pairing RD: C-

This seems like an area where there was a deal to be had. The most obvious by far was Jakob Chychrun being acquired for a 3rd pairing d-man and a 3rd rounder. Chychrun would seem to be a great partner for Simon Edvinsson, but credit to Washington for getting the deal done.

The term Matt Roy received definitely seems like something Steve Yzerman wouldn't want to commit to and I'm not going to argue over whether Yzerman should be signing free agents to 6 or 7 year deals. Ultimately Detroit was able to get their Gost replacement when they signed Erik Gustafsson, but a combo of Chychrun and Gustafsson would have easily offset Gost's offensive production while improving the team's defense. So it feels like once again we are relying on journeymen to fill the holes until the prospects are ready to compete for ice time.

Goalie: B-

After stating that he wasn't going to carry more than 2 goalies in 2024-25, Yzerman signed Cam Talbot and Jack Campbell. So as things stand right now, Detroit has 4 goalies. We'll see how many the team actually carries during the season, but hopefully the team will not be caught short handed like they were last season when Ville Husso was injured.

Overall grade: C

Yzerman wasn't able to get anything done as far as upgrading Mo's defensive partner or signing a scoring line center. These were by far the most expensive holes to fill and Yzerman decided to stand pat. His moves to acquire Tarasenko and bring back Kane likely solidified the scoring line winger spots and will help offset some of the goalscoring lost to free agency. The right side of the defense feels like a missed opportunity, and the additions at goalkeeper are confusing given Yzerman's previous statements.

It's clear Yzerman is going to continue to pursue stopgap measures while his prospect pool matures. What that means is he'll continue to address needs by signing veterans to short term deals. While this isn't exciting, we'll find out how successful it is when the team hits the ice. With only 4 teams in the Eastern Conference surrendering more goals against than Detroit last year, the success or failure for claiming a playoff spot will likely rest on how well Detroit can keep the puck out of their own net.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Note: with Yzerman giving his press conference yesterday, it seems like most of the heavy lifting has been completed. I will update this post if there are any additional moves.

Needs: In the free agency frenzy thread I asked if anyone disagreed with these as being the organizational needs and didn't see anything, so here is what we needed as we entered July 1.

• Scoring line center
  • Scoring line left wing
  • Top LD
  • 2nd pair RD
  • Goalie who can provide ~40 quality starts

Scoring line center: INC

There was only one guy available and Stamkos went for max money. Nothing wrong with that. Yzerman indicated they tried to get involved with one of the big fish but making a competitive offer would have required "major surgery". That sounds like they were seriously considering making a bid for Stamkos. Unfortunately Detroit is stuck with Copp and Compher at center until Nate Danielson and Marco Kasper are ready.

Scoring line LW: B-

There were two options available at LW, with Jeff Skinner signing the most team friendly deal after being bought out by Buffalo. Anthony Duclair signed for 4 years which is probably a bit too much term for a guy who routinely plays less than 60 games per year. A one-year deal for Skinner at $3 million would be a steal, but he preferred playing with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Can't really blame him.

Detroit did re-sign Patrick Kane and also added Vladimir Tarasenko, but that creates a log jam at RW. Between them and Jonatan Berggren, the Red Wings may be set at the wing position for both scoring lines. It's not an ideal situation, but they need to replace 63 goals lost between Gost, Perron, Sprong and Fabbri; a full season with Kane and Tarasenko should should result in somewhere between 20-25 goals for each winger.

Top pairing LD: INC

The top options appeared to be Bray Skjei and Nikita Zadorov, but the term for both was probably much longer than anything Yzerman wanted to consider. He mentioned the term players were receiving as being shocking, and both guys seem to be beneficiaries of the crazy amount of term being handed out in free agency. So like center, we are stuck with a place holder until the prospects work their way up the defensive pairings.

Second pairing RD: C-

This seems like an area where there was a deal to be had. The most obvious by far was Jakob Chychrun being acquired for a 3rd pairing d-man and a 3rd rounder. Chychrun would seem to be a great partner for Simon Edvinsson, but credit to Washington for getting the deal done.

The term Matt Roy received definitely seems like something Steve Yzerman wouldn't want to commit to and I'm not going to argue over whether Yzerman should be signing free agents to 6 or 7 year deals. Ultimately Detroit was able to get their Gost replacement when they signed Erik Gustafsson, but a combo of Chychrun and Gustafsson would have easily offset Gost's offensive production while improving the team's defense. So it feels like once again we are relying on journeymen to fill the holes until the prospects are ready to compete for ice time.

Goalie: B-

After stating that he wasn't going to carry more than 2 goalies in 2024-25, Yzerman signed Cam Talbot and Jack Campbell. So as things stand right now, Detroit has 4 goalies. We'll see how many the team actually carries during the season, but hopefully the team will not be caught short handed like they were last season when Ville Husso was injured.

Overall grade: C

Yzerman wasn't able to get anything done as far as upgrading Mo's defensive partner or signing a scoring line center. These were by far the most expensive holes to fill and Yzerman decided to stand pat. His moves to acquire Tarasenko and bring back Kane likely solidified the scoring line winger spots and will help offset some of the goalscoring lost to free agency. The right side of the defense feels like a missed opportunity, and the additions at goalkeeper are confusing given Yzerman's previous statements.

It's clear Yzerman is going to continue to pursue stopgap measures while his prospect pool matures. What that means is he'll continue to address needs by signing veterans to short term deals. While this isn't exciting, we'll find out how successful it is when the team hits the ice. With only 4 teams in the Eastern Conference surrendering more goals against than Detroit last year, the pursuit of a playoff spot will likely rest on how well Detroit can keep the puck out of their own net.
Well, that's some good analysis and a tough act to follow. I'm going to give an opinion that will come off as grunts and gesticulations compared to yours, but here goes...

Goaltending: Talbot is an upgrade provided he doesn't die of old age before his contract expires. Having him gives me more faith than the parade of #3 goalies we've been trotting out.

Defense: I'm holding out hope for a trade. We'll see how Gustafsson gels with the others. He was at least a plus defender but this crew needs more help. I am not whelmed by our defense.

Forward: I'm all for Kane coming back. Of all our problems last year he was not one of them. That Tarasenko kid is still shifty; I like that add. Production-wise I think the offense will be fine. I'm not expecting Debrincat to have another uncharacteristic meltdown like he did last year.

That said, this is still very much a bubble playoff team. I'm happy Yzerman didn't overpay so that factors in the grade. I think goaltending is an improvement, forward at least treads water, defense is a wildcard.

Uhhhh, C+?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
D-

Missed every marquee name on RD and at forward. Got a diminished Tarasenko for the second line.

Gustafsson as the 3RD wouldn't be so bad if they picked up a 2RD somehow.

Not too mad at Talbot considering the cost.

I feel like they should have wrapped up Raymond's and Seider's contracts by april. I'll be legitimately worried if they elect arbitration.

Reactions: Snuggs and Realgud

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
D-

Missed every marquee name on RD and at forward. Got a diminished Tarasenko for the second line.

I feel like they should have wrapped up Raymond's and Seider's contracts by april. I'll be legitimately worried if they elect arbitration.
Fair enough. Whom would you have signed for RD? Here are some of the more popular guys and the amount it cost to sign them:
  • Jacob Chychrun, RD (1 year, $4.6m) (gave up 3rd pair D, 3rd rounder)
  • Matt Roy, RD (6 years, $5.75m)
  • Brett Pesce, RD (6 years, $5.5m)
  • TJ Brodie, LD/RD (2 years, $3.75m)
And forward:
  • Steven Stamkos (4 years, $8m)
  • Jake DeBrusk, RW (7years, $5.5m)
  • Jonathan Marchessault, RW (5 years, $5.5m)
  • Tyler Toffoli, RW (4 years, $6m)
  • Teuvo Teravainen, RW/LW (3 years, $5.4m)
I said that I thought Chychrun was a missed opportunity, but I'm not critical about missing out on any of these guys due to the term required to sign all but Brodie and probably Teravainen.

Reactions: 13to40

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
D-

Mentioned a few times now by people. Mo and Ray aren't arb eligible.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
I think Steve is “shocked” at terms because of recency bias. More than 50% of his UFA contracts the past couple years already look awful.

I refuse to grade this, because we need hindsight information. I’d probably be more tempted to give it a bad grade had he went out and signed a bunch of dudes to albatrosses.

Give me a future contributing forward and/or D in a trade and I’ll probably like it more.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
My grade is C+. If this were 2019 with the names on Detroit's lineup card I would say this team could make a decent run in the playoffs, but now it's a lot of close to the use by date veterans and a few kids. Because of that I think Detroit is in the same position it was when it started last season, huge question marks on the back end and in net. I also think the complete lack of top 6 center depth is going to sink the Wings again this season. It feels like very year between the new year and the TDL Larkin gets hurt and is either out or plays hurt and the team sinks.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
C+

Talbot and Gustafsson were good signings. Tarasenko slowed down majorly this year and he's coming off a long season but I'm intrigued by him also. The Walman trade is still perplexing so it drops the grade from a B-. Could've signed Stamkos for the cost of Copp and Holl so in a sense it seems like he learned from some past signings.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Fair enough. Whom would you have signed for RD? Here are some of the more popular guys and the amount it cost to sign them:
  • Jacob Chychrun, RD (1 year, $4.6m) (gave up 3rd pair D, 3rd rounder)
  • Matt Roy, RD (6 years, $5.75m)
  • Brett Pesce, RD (6 years, $5.5m)
  • TJ Brodie, LD/RD (2 years, $3.75m)
And forward:
  • Steven Stamkos (4 years, $8m)
  • Jake DeBrusk, RW (7years, $5.5m)
  • Jonathan Marchessault, RW (5 years, $5.5m)
  • Tyler Toffoli, RW (4 years, $6m)
  • Teuvo Teravainen, RW/LW (3 years, $5.4m)
I said that I thought Chychrun was a missed opportunity, but I'm not critical about missing out on any of these guys due to the term required to sign all but Brodie and probably Teravainen.

How old is Toffoli?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
D-

Gotta piggyback this.

Missed out on top 4 defense. Specifically, RHD.

Don't mind Talbot/Tarasenko but they're just nifty vs great moves.

WTF is Tyler Motte doing signed this early and will he even make the team?

Dumped guys vs gaining any value(Refuse to believe no one wanted Walman, at all.)

Worst stretch I've had as a fan since the TDL. Idk what the Red Wings/Yzerman are doing, it's not there job to tell me, but the Yzerman plan just seems to be an endless rebuild through the draft, Core players aren't really lining up well with timelines... Larkin likely won't be useful when this team is making the playoffs and Debrincat straight up might not be on the team signed.

I think they're destined for a top 5 pick without any extra help/moves.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
D +

Tarasenko and Talbot were decent adds but our defense isn't any better than last season. We lost a lot of goals letting Sprong and Perron go and they haven't been replaced.

NJ and WAS both got better and will probably beat us out for the final playoff spot.

Reactions: 14ari13

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I'd call it a C.

Avoided disastrous long-term deals with term AND dollars.

It was tracking for a D- after day one when he was signing AHL plugs and William Lagesson after insisting on trading Jake Walman to buy cap space.

It felt salvaged somewhat by adding Tank to replace Perron and clearing Fabbri's money (which would have spent 50% or more of 24-25 on the IR) for a 4th.

Had they already extended Raymond and Seider for the money that is being projected, the grade goes up, but can't give credit till that happens.

Otherwise, they added a whole lot of very average NHL players for a whole lot of average NHL dollars. They're in no cap crunch and can pretty easily keep around their stud RFAs. The cap structure looks incredible going forward.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's at best a C

The team on paper isn't better then the team that played game 82..

If you wanna claim that the new projected roster will all improve their stats over last year, you at least have to equally assume the same for the guys we lost.

The defence is not better...at best its "hopefully" equal, which wasnt good enough in April not sure why its okay in Oct... SY must add a legit #2 dman before Sept...

Yes we avoided giving out multiple 7 year deals which is good, but if the fear of giving out even one paralyzes us every offseason I think we're in deep trouble...we shall see

Talbot is an upgrade on our #3 in Reimer, but neither Husso nor Talbot are a #1...

Reactions: Ulysses31

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
I'll say B mainly because we didn't give out horrible contracts (he's already given them out)
I like bringing Kane back and the Tarasenko signing

Talbot should help out and there was really not much else to be done with goalies

D still leaves a lot to be desired and it's still going to be a weak spot

I don't see us being better then last year and we'll be a bubble team and of we make it a 1st round exit barring some crazy team starts clicking and our goalies becoming amazing

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'll say like a C+

I like bringing Kane back(although I do wish it was more than 1 year) and I like the Tarasenko signing as well, I also like letting Perron walk

I like Talbot, at least as far as stopgap Goalie options go I think it's a solid one

the Defense is very underwhelming and drags it down a bit

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I don't put much stock into free agency because in the grand scheme of it, players are the ones in demand and they hold the cards. I'm not interested in handcuffing my team by signing Matt Roy to the contract he got if it means we have trouble re-signing one of our top draft picks. We are in a weird transition spot, but we aren't in a spot to be risking doing that imo

Who was the last UFA to make a legitimate, big time impact for their team? Pietrangelo is the only one I can think of (I'm omitting Tavares because Leafs). That type of player I would be happy paying + giving term to (at the time Vegas did with him). The rest of the players are just roster filler in the upper/middle part of the lineup for the most part. That's when you end up signing Copp or Chiarot to the contracts they got and get stuck with them because they're not Guentzels or Pietrangelos

Tarasenko is a nice surprise add and I think he will be valuable to this team in an intangibles way when the kids are coming up this year and next for full time roster spots. He spent time in two Stanley Cup wins playing in entirely different roles and spots in the lineup

The important pieces we're needing come by the draft and via trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad