Gordie Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think the whining and second guessing on draft day and in the immedite post draft period is always ridiculous and silly.

This time last year people were up in arms about Chytil, then he works out big time and it’s “lol so glad I’m eating crow!” until next year when the same people throw the same tantrum over a different pick.

I think they’re doing well overall and I’m a big fan of the philosophy of picking kids who have had success in adult leagues.

As for any draft being make or break or defining a career, that’s just phony theatrics to help weave a dramatic story. The team overall will either become successful in the near future or not, and that will define the management group, not any specific pick or specific draft.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
This draft is make or break for Clark. If it's an overall failure, I believe he should be shown the door.

He is 66 years old now and the J.T Miller trade was good enough reason for me to get some new scout staff members with a different mindset, and a different way to see and evaluate talents in a draft. And hopefully he is gone until the next year draft, and if we end up trading Nam as well, and Libor Hajek not working out - I start to get worried about the whole scouting staff.

Reactions: ponzu4u

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
3 things.

his track record is just so-s0. our farm has been rated in the lower half of the entire league for most of the recent past. we havent drafted a superstar not named henrik lundqvist in forever. i think i read something ( dont have the quote) to the effect that we havent had a 1st rounder thats made the allstar team in forever.... that says something. again, his track record isnt great.

it seems our best talent is acquired via trade or as a fa. we seem to lag behind the rest of the league drafting difference makers. thats on gordie and his staff.

clark and crew seem to out think themselves. just take the best player. the best talent. it seems they always go against the grain. its frustrating to expect it and then they go and do it. mcilrath was a whiff. just look at who he passed to grab dylan. unforgivable.

i do agree with the philosophy that says take euro kids who are playing in mens leagues. those kids are playing "up" and that makes a huge difference. any of those "2nd tier" euros playing in europe in the khl, sel, extra liga, etc are better picks after round 1. no doubt. and most of them would stand out in na major juniors.

no way to know what gordies work will yield today so you cant say the player was or is bad right now, but you can say the pick was poor. big difference. what player you take when matters. i always feel clark is trying to outsmart the draft. can everyone be wrong and only gordie clark be right ?

total disagreement with the swede goalie at 39. that pick was plain stupid and irresponsible. he is NOT the next best player in that draft and making him the 1st goalie off the board for a team loaded with goalie prospects is mind numbing. this pick alone drops this draft a full letter grade.

krav and miller at 9 and 22 respectively is fine. moving up at the cost of the 2nd seemed steep but you got 2 quality players even if both were perhaps slight reaches at the expense of other more highly rated players who were there.

not a fan of gordie clark. prefer he's shown the door.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They put too much emphasis on drafting speed. Kevin Hayes doesn't have much speed and he is a fine player. They are also obsessed with goalies, and they love drafting overagers for some reason even though they almost never works out

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
3 things.

his track record is just so-s0. our farm has been rated in the lower half of the entire league for most of the recent past. we havent drafted a superstar not named henrik lundqvist in forever. i think i read something ( dont have the quote) to the effect that we havent had a 1st rounder thats made the allstar team in forever.... that says something. again, his track record isnt great.

it seems our best talent is acquired via trade or as a fa. we seem to lag behind the rest of the league drafting difference makers. thats on gordie and his staff.

clark and crew seem to out think themselves. just take the best player. the best talent. it seems they always go against the grain. its frustrating to expect it and then they go and do it. mcilrath was a whiff. just look at who he passed to grab dylan. unforgivable.

i do agree with the philosophy that says take euro kids who are playing in mens leagues. those kids are playing "up" and that makes a huge difference. any of those "2nd tier" euros playing in europe in the khl, sel, extra liga, etc are better picks after round 1. no doubt. and most of them would stand out in na major juniors.

no way to know what gordies work will yield today so you cant say the player was or is bad right now, but you can say the pick was poor. big difference. what player you take when matters. i always feel clark is trying to outsmart the draft. can everyone be wrong and only gordie clark be right ?

total disagreement with the swede goalie at 39. that pick was plain stupid and irresponsible. he is NOT the next best player in that draft and making him the 1st goalie off the board for a team loaded with goalie prospects is mind numbing. this pick alone drops this draft a full letter grade.

krav and miller at 9 and 22 respectively is fine. moving up at the cost of the 2nd seemed steep but you got 2 quality players even if both were perhaps slight reaches at the expense of other more highly rated players who were there.

The farm was top 5 before they graduated a bunch or guys and started trading picks and prospects away.

I don’t think they’ve done a great job drafting for a while, but they haven’t exactly had a boat load of picks to make it happen. The goalie in the 2nd round was dumb, but it shouldn’t take away from what was otherwise a pretty f***ing strong draft.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Who gives a **** about issues? Scoring is needed all the time. Almost every damn game we lose is because we cant score goals, do you realize that? Its not because of toughness. All i want is to have some young scorers on this team, is that a crime? My god. Why cant our team ever draft the young scoring forward? Why? Why the hell is it always a problem?[/QUOTE

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
3 things.

That couldn’t have anything to do with not having a 1st round pick for four straight drafts, could it? One of those drafts with no pick until the 3rd round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad