GDT: Golden Knights vs Senators | Caption This! Edition | Nov 8th, 7:30 PM @ CTC

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Boy did that interference call end the game pretty quickly, too bad as it would have likely been an exciting ending imo. Haven't bothered to read today's version of the GI rule as its ever changing, I always operated that if the goalie has some portion of their body in the blue paint they generally get free reign barring anything crazy, even if contact is initiated the optics here were hilarious. I know 1 thing for certain, reverse the situations and 100% its a no goal and is not debated and were likely on the PK....that Silvferberg call LOL

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Compare this goaltending interference call to the no call last night

I stopped watching early in the second period but I am not sure that was goalie interférence: Carrier does not enter the blue paint and Anderson initiates contact by reaching out with his leg.

As far as the Silf on Price call, we all know how the refs treat games in Montréal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I used to agree with this take, but it stands to reason that there are players on your team that have skills that aren't purely offensive.

Sure, hockey players aren't as specialized as, say, football players, where you wouldn't want a linebacker returning a punt. But it's an extreme example that serves the point... there are players with defensive aptitudes that don't necessarily score so much. They're probably good PK'ers. And if the offensive talent on your team would be just as good at PK, why would a coach tire them out on a PK unit? They should be saved for 5 v 5 and PP.

If Tyler is baffled, it's because he's a simpleton.
You dont want your best players blocking shots and using up all that energy

IMO being 31st in the league is a problem , people should be asking questions about. Is it all system or is it a combination of system and personnel used. I don't disagree with either of your takes but .. imo Pyatt and Pajaarvi combined with Ceci and Boro who have been our primary PK guys have not stood up... Smith and Pageau would be our top 2 guys if here and they are not 4th liners on this team. Sens PK is 31st , 67.3%.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I stopped watching early in the second period but I am not sure that was goalie interférence: Carrier does not enter the blue paint and Anderson initiates contact by reaching out with his leg.

As far as the Silf on Price call, we all know how the refs treat games in Montréal.

Its an interesting call. If a goalie initiates contact with a player and that player loses his balance , falling on the goalie and thereby not allowing him to move into a position to stop the puck... we don't call that interference, it opens an ugly door imo.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
IMO being 31st in the league is a problem , people should be asking questions about. Is it all system or is it a combination of system and personnel used. I don't disagree with either of your takes but .. imo Pyatt and Pajaarvi combined with Ceci and Boro who have been our primary PK guys have not stood up... Smith and Pageau would be our top 2 guys if here and they are not 4th liners on this team. Sens PK is 31st , 67.3%.

Agreed, we need Pageau on the PK. I think Formenton is a good PK'er too, though there's no sense keeping him up just to PK.

There are a lot of middle-tier players that would probably be better PK'ing forwards than Pyatt and Pajaarvi.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
does this take into account matchups?

I would think Ceci and his partner would get tougher matchups

I would say no... seems to be straight Corsi, no QoC or QoT into consideration... but we know Ceci has failed in that role with every partner.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I would say no... seems to be straight Corsi, no QoC or QoT into consideration... but we know Ceci has failed in that role with every partner.
Ya he isn't made for such a role but it seems like atleast right now he is the only who can play it

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Its an interesting call. If a goalie initiates contact with a player and that player loses his balance , falling on the goalie and thereby not allowing him to move into a position to stop the puck... we don't call that interference, it opens an ugly door imo.

I think the reality of it is that it depends and that's why we have video review.

I am not sure I'd say the wrong call was made because Carrier stayed out of the blue paint and the goalie initiated contact. I see your point but you also gotta draw the line somewhere and have goalies be responsible for their movement out of the paint as well.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ceci makes the players he plays with worse, as does Borowiecki.

The sooner those two are off the team, the better. Defensemen need to be able to handle the puck while skating, and neither can do that.

Reactions: Multigrain

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I did like the small sample size I saw at the beginning of the season of Chabot and Wideman.
I even liked Harpur in there better than I like it now. They need to either trade Wideman or give him enough minutes to get going. Same with Nick Paul give the guy some minutes.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ceci is atrocious. I can count numerous times the puck gets lost in his skates right infront of the net or behind the net or anywhere in defensive zone. He is abysmal. I have no idea why we always wait so long before getting rid of a player after they've caused mass negative destruction.

Lajoie literally became obsolete with Ceci, amazing.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Lajoie really had a tough game last night. Maybe it was the 7D but I am hoping this is not a trend. The coach didn't make alot of adjustments. Marc Crawford needs to figure something out.

Reactions: Larionov

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Ceci is atrocious. I can count numerous times the puck gets lost in his skates right infront of the net or behind the net or anywhere in defensive zone. He is abysmal. I have no idea why we always wait so long before getting rid of a player after they've caused mass negative destruction.

Lajoie literally became obsolete with Ceci, amazing.
Who knows he is local and they love him. Guy and Pierre especially.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Ceci makes the players he plays with worse, as does Borowiecki.

The sooner those two are off the team, the better. Defensemen need to be able to handle the puck while skating, and neither can do that.
I agree. I blame the coaching 100%. Boro needs to step away from all his media duties and focus on hockey.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The same people that are costing us games and not contributing anything to offset their terribleness night after night.

Tom Pyatt
Cody Ceci
Magnus Paarjvi
Mark Boroweicki
Raymond's terrible PK
Crawford's terrible defense structure allowing 40 shots a night.
Boucher continuing reluctance on leaning on the 4 above mentioned names night after night for the past 2 years is killing my interest this year in watching games. He hasn't learned and will never learn. Stubborn as f*** and its painful to watch the same thing over and over and over and over again.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The same people that are costing us games and not contributing anything to offset their terribleness night after night.

Tom Pyatt
Cody Ceci
Magnus Paarjvi
Mark Boroweicki
Raymond's terrible PK
Crawford's terrible defense structure allowing 40 shots a night.
Boucher continuing reluctance on leaning on the 4 above mentioned names night after night for the past 2 years is killing my interest this year in watching games. He hasn't learned and will never learn. Stubborn as **** and its painful to watch the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Yeah we need a real coach brought in,but that costs money ...And havent seen one walk on water yet so

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Excellent question... I am not sure about his statement about almost all teams but .. certainly agree with it on this team

I think its about distribution of minutes and the fact that a PK's success is determined more by structure and system than it is about the players who are out there. It's not about them being the best players for the role, its about them being least suited for other roles. Basically anyone with an NHL skillset should be able to PK effectively, so long as the structure and system are there - not anyone can operate well within a powerplay or play against top defensive matchups and still produce, though.

Just my theory. @Flamingo brings up some valid points as well imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00