Goaltending

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Is it early? Yes.

Is it really weird not feeling an utter & complete sense of dread every time a floaty wrister from the point heads to the Leafs net? Also yes.

Once the Leafs went up 3-0 yesterday, I felt like the game was over - they weren't scoring 4 on Stolly.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I tend to think shots against give a more accurate estimate on defense

Last year SA after 4 games: 111
This year SA after 4 games: 107

So not a massive difference.

Last years GA after 4 games: 16
This year GA after 4 games: 7

Almost half. Big difference.

The defense is giving up the same number of shots. So whether the difference in goals against is from better goaltending, better defense (the shots taken being less quality), or just plain luck, is the question. It's hard to say right now because it's so early but the results have been favourable.

We'll know better after American Thanksgiving where this team stands.

Go Leafs Go

Early results VERY promising,

As of Oct 18th, 2024 the Leafs are #4 overall in goals against per game.

1729258494463.png

& 3rd overall in Save %

1729258558534.png

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Ok guys let's have an honest discussion. Does it seem like Brad actually knows what attributes you need to be successful team?

I honestly think he does. His hiring of Berube seems to be spot on. Obviously it's still early, but he took a year to get to the root of the problem with this team and it looks like he's identified what will really help us.

I doubt this is the finished product, but it's very interesting to see how he's changed the look (along with Berube) of this team in just a couple of offseasons

I'm honestly impressed with the job he's done so far. I think this deadline he can make himself into an absolute hero with the right moves.

Congrats Brad and team.

Reactions: The Shadow

horner

May 22, 2007
Thank god that Stolarz is signed for next year.
Hopefully Woll shows that he can stay healthy
Hildebeast proved that he is nhl ready next year.

We could have a goaltender to trade thus offseason for a 2nd line center .

A position of strength who would have thought.

We can dream

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Were we even ever in the top 15 tenders over the past 6 years?

Feb. 5th 2020- January 14th, 2022:

Top 5 goalies with over 2000 minutes played:

1. Saros: .930
2. Campbell: .928 (named to an all star team too)
3. Shesterkin: .927
4. Vasy: .923
5. Varlamov: .922

This is misleading though as the Leafs were a great defensive team during this stretch which really covered for the fact Campbell wasnt all that great a goalie being masked by the team in front of him shielding big danger chances (as opposed to a team like the Oilers) and Campbell looked pretty good compared to injury riddled Andersen and guys like Hutch and Sparks. Campbell eventually fell off and became more and more a headcase. Doesnt help we followed up with Samsonov as our go to guy.

Pretty sure we would have seen more success with other keepers in net that could actually make big saves in the playoffs. (Did Campbell ever make even one memorable save?) Easily Dubas' greatest mistake was not getting a playoff keeper for this team.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Just had a peek at the Marlies stats (who have started the season 5-0 by the way didn't know that).

Artur Akhtyamov, 4th rounder in 2020, has started his first AHL season with a 3-0-0 record and one shutout. He has stopped 80 of the 83 shots he's faced and has a 1.00 GAA and a .964SV%

Matt Murray has a 2-0-0 record and has stopped 53 of the 58 shots he's faced. He has a 2.50 GAA and a .914SV%.

Really hoping Woll is past his injuries and ready to rock. He is good. Stolarz has been fantastic, and Hildybeast looked great as well.

Would be very comforting to know we can go 5 deep in net, and any of the 5 is capable. Depth is a wonderful thing!

Also this :)
Dennis Hildeby - 6'7
Anthony Stolarz- 6'6
Matt Murray- 6'5
Joseph Woll - 6'3
Artur Akhtyamov - 6'2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad