Goaltending

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think we can safely assume that Murray will be removed in some manner which leaves a platoon of Woll and Samsonov.

I get the need for a big time netminder, I've been saying that for years(since Belfour left) but the problem is obviously the cost in assets and fitting in the cap hit.
For that reason I am good with running back the current duo. I think Woll can be a starter in this league.

Anyone else on board or is a goalie one of the top priorities?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
A Woll/Sammy duo is fine by me. A lot of people are critical of Samsonov but he was the first goalie to actually make the saves to help this team win a series in 20 years, and I thought he was outstanding in game 6 in particular. He had some shaky moments in the playoffs but people are overlooking that he was injured and wasn't moving the same... I actually thought for most of the season he had learned to play a clean and calmer style and the chaoticness only came back when he was clearly fighting through some sort of injury.

Woll has great fundamentals, is on a super cheap deal still and provided he doesn't have anymore injury trouble I have a lot of faith in him.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We have to move one of the big 4 to fit the cap hit of a big name goalie (I'm thinking very specifically of Hellebucyk), but I think we need to do that purely out of core-shakeup anyways. We don't have to move Marner or Nylander in the trade, we can always make one deal and then use assets to pick up that goalie.

Another year of hopes and dreams in net will likely get us another year with the same results as the last few. Neglecting long-term goaltending was Dubas's yearly mistake. Murray makes 2/3rds of what Hellebucyk does, it's time to pay the price and then keep one of our current two as the backup.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not onboard with keeping the loser core and running with Sammy and Woll.
Be prepared to be disappointed. One can hope but when I heard Shanny say he wanted to bring the dummy back, expect another early exit next year and the Dubasites to blame Tre and tell us we should not have fired the stick boy.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m ultimately fine with running Samsonov and Woll next season. However if Hellebuyck is actually available, hard not to go after that if the price is right. Demko, Saros and Hart are a few other names you’d have to look into if available.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
With a new GM, I think next season will be a bit of a "let's see" year. I think that will apply to the goaltending and we can expect a a Sam / Woll tandem.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Put me down for BT going hard after Connor Hellebuyck as Winnipeg is rumoured to be listening on their core players.

Joseph Woll will be a NHLer next year unless he is required to be part of the Hellebuyck trade, but I'd prefer RFA Samsonov to be moved instead..

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would typically expect a Samsonov-Woll goalie tandem to neither win nor lose the most crucial of games for the team. I'd probably anticipate the team opting for this pairing of goaltenders going into the upcoming season.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I think by the next trade deadline it will be 3 capable tenders just in case for sure. You just never know.

That being said..... If they can move Murray somehow, I am sure they will explore that, he is just too injury prone. I am more than OK running a Samsonov/Woll tandem out there. In fact I think Woll can probably be a guy you can count on for more than just a backup role. When was the last time the Leafs had a homegrown goalie worth talking about??? Reimer? Potvin?

Also...in terms of acquiring Hellebyuck.......who knows what the ask/cost will be. Hart might be interesting in that there is a potential for lower cost on the G alone, but also maybe it can be part of a bigger multi-player deal.

Reactions: Ciao

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I’m ok with Sammy and Woll because I also think this will be an assessment year and a year to try and dig out from the cap bind that Treliving has inherited

The biggest goalie work right now is to get rid of Murray without incuring to much pain

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Not really enthusiastic about bringing Sammy back. But may have to accept it as long as he doesn’t get stupid wth his contract demands. Hart sounds interesting better team may do wonders. . Of course a trip to the farm may also be needed to boost the confidence.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like Samsonov, but I also believe that if you can get better in any area you do it.

If you are going to keep the core together, and it sounds like they are at least give them an elite goaltender so that, that excuse is elminated because right now that's the excuse so get rid of it.

Besides that though Samsonov got injured in his last game, and unless I missed it we don't know how serious it is so you might need to replace Samsonov regardless.

Go get Hellebyuck

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
If we keep Woll we had better make sure we have the best type of coach for him. Historically we have NOT had good goaltending coaches, or at least none who had a positive effect.
Other teams seem to have far better rates of development.

For Samsonov, we get a psychiatrist.

As for Helly....there is not one player from Winnipeg that I would want.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think we can safely assume that Murray will be removed in some manner which leaves a platoon of Woll and Samsonov.

I get the need for a big time netminder, I've been saying that for years(since Belfour left) but the problem is obviously the cost in assets and fitting in the cap hit.
For that reason I am good with running back the current duo. I think Woll can be a starter in this league.

Anyone else on board or is a goalie one of the top priorities?
This makes most sense .. Sammy is good enough for regular season .. and he won us a playoff round against a great team .. Woll could use a year as a backup .. given CAP hell this is likely .. hopefully Murray can be unloaded without giving up 1st rounders .. not into losing anymore 1st rounders when we don't even have a Cup team yet

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No harm giving Woll the job and seeing if he can develop into 1A. If it cost a significant resource to get rid of Murray, I’d just keep him, LTIR him when he gets hurt, and let his contract expire.
They can always sign a cheap backup, Kallgren, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad