Value of: Goalie to Pittsburgh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Kaliyev or Grundstrom. Would want you to take Desmith back too.
grunsdstrom it is and depending on us signing Joonas Korpisaloas for the Desmith add althou we could always put him in ahl so yep we could add him So cal and grunstrom for desmith and a 7th ? deal from la

Reactions: Gurglesons

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Hypothetically Desmith for Petersen means we are spending 3.2 more on a back-up. If you get a player out of that and then add in a cheaper player on top of it I'm okay with it. Not great with it, but whatever kinda the situation we are in with our net.

Petersen cannot be the backup. So you are paying Petersen 5mil and then have to add a backup on top of that.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Seems like a lot of bad options so far, the point would be to upgrade on Jarry, not to get a tankjob sive, so no Petersen/Binnington/etc.. in my opinion at least. If we wanted a unreliable G for tanking we could just re-sign Jarry or go with Desmith.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The only goalie who might be available I'd pay the 1st for would be Hellebuyck.

Otherwise I'd rather draft a good prospect and hope to sign Varlamov to a stop gap contract.
If Nashville is going to a rebuild and makes Saros available, that's who I want. 1st ++

Reactions: LiffLaff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only goalie who might be available I'd pay the 1st for would be Hellebuyck.

Otherwise I'd rather draft a good prospect and hope to sign Varlamov to a stop gap contract.
What's your end game? Cause, if you have Sid, Geno and Letang for the remainder of Sid's contract of 2 years, you might as well go for it. That first won't be on the roster before Sid's contract expires.

Are the Pens good enough to go all the way? Probably not. But, they should be getting to the PO with Sid and co while he's there.

Deal with the post Sid years when they arrive.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
You must hate Hart a lot to look at a trade to the Pens. Yikes. This team will do what it usually does: a solid tank job that gets them 3 top 3 picks in a row. No way they entertain getting Hart with this 30+ lineup with close to no prospect in the system.

Pens are one team not to worry about for a few years.

You're right. The Pens will probably do the tank (again) but at the end of the day they start and FINISH a rebuild at some point and become relevant.

No, I do not hate Hart at all. Actually, I really like him and don't want to see his best years wasted when Ersson/Sandstrom can easily be your goalie tandem on a rebuilding franchise. Hart deserves to get his chance. On a rising or qualitative roster he will succeed.

Are the Pens the right club? Dunno.

Would we ever make a trade? Not sure.

But their top guns are about to call it a career and maybe just maybe you can pry away some picks before they do.

Last edited:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Absolutely! What do you think Flyers would want for him?
Also do you realistically think Philly would trade with Pittsburgh?

I'd like to run with a 1A/1B tandem. As others have said, goalies can be fickle. No sense in putting all your eggs in 1 basket, unless they prove it.

Hence, if Jarry was willing to come back on a cap reasonable prove it deal...maybe 1yr-2yr $3.5M-$4M. If a reasonable trade could be made for Hart, as he has 1 year left on his deal, that could work.
They will probably never trade players again unless its a minor move but lets say they do. Besides Konecny, Hart and Provorov are our best assets in possible trade scenarios.

Some expect a high first +, some other nothing more than a mid round pick plus a prospect.

I believe the truth is somewhere inbetween.

I'd ask the Pens for this years first rounder plus next years second round pick OR a b-prospect but I'd rather take both picks.. If the pot needs to be sweetened there could be a cap dump coming back since our interim GM Danny Briere called the rebuild.

Pittsburgh can reuse the cap for one more reload and run with it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As much as people like to parrot that goalies are devalued because they're so unpredictable...it's still really hard to acquire a proven good one.

I think Pittsburgh's best option is probably to either continue to roll with Jarry, unfortunately...or to gamble on trying to land a guy like Varlamov and team him up with someone who can handle a decent quasi-tandem workload, given his age and durability history. Maybe team a reclamation project like Talbot up with somebody else and try to double the odds on something working out?

Obviously the Flames would be interested in moving that Markstrom contract...and there's a lot of upside in that gamble. The contract gives that a ton of downside though. Especially considering Calgary probably can't take back a huge amount of salary to offset. It's also just a really big risk in whether Markstrom has actually fallen off a cliff, or if it was just an off year on a more gradual downward trend at this age.

You run into wildcard situations like Ullmark coming out of nowhere to dominate...but to get a guy who isn't a completely and utter shot in the dark gamble, it's costly...if almost impossible to pull off.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
As much as people like to parrot that goalies are devalued because they're so unpredictable...it's still really hard to acquire a proven good one.

I think Pittsburgh's best option is probably to either continue to roll with Jarry, unfortunately...or to gamble on trying to land a guy like Varlamov and team him up with someone who can handle a decent quasi-tandem workload, given his age and durability history. Maybe team a reclamation project like Talbot up with somebody else and try to double the odds on something working out?

Obviously the Flames would be interested in moving that Markstrom contract...and there's a lot of upside in that gamble. The contract gives that a ton of downside though. Especially considering Calgary probably can't take back a huge amount of salary to offset. It's also just a really big risk in whether Markstrom has actually fallen off a cliff, or if it was just an off year on a more gradual downward trend at this age.

You run into wildcard situations like Ullmark coming out of nowhere to dominate...but to get a guy who isn't a completely and utter shot in the dark gamble, it's costly...if almost impossible to pull off.
Jarry is horrible. Penguins best bet is to rebuild but if they don't then trade every pick and prospect they have to get a Vezina quality goaltender who can single-handedly haul them into the playofffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad