Value of: Goalie to buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Buffalo actually has a very nice young team, would definitely be higher up the standings if we got NHL level goaltending but our goalies ain't cutting it.

Picks prospect roster player all available for any nhl quality goalies Maybe someone like

Holtby Korpisalo or georgiev

what's the price
You don’t want Holtby, trust me. Washed.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Can’t remember if Smith has a NTC or not.

Run the year with Mike Smith. Not sure why you’d want to even trade for a decent goalie. Say it bumps you to 7-8th overall in the standings. What good does that bring you? I’d rather just let it run and watch the ping pongs fall where they may

Us fans are getting tired of losing. This team can score (4 goals again last night) and still lost. Because they let in a lot.

Reactions: banks

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You're reading too much into it. Johansson was traded because he was awful and somebody decided to give us an asset for him anyway. I'm glad Avs fans like him, but he was still a goalie with exactly 1 good pro season, in which he was a successful AHL backup.

We could have just play a few more games (instead of Hutton and parade of others) and Sabres would have maintained his rights. I forget the exact number. He's not great but it's bad player management by team.

Reactions: umbertovanek

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo has cap space and their owner is not afraid to spend

Go get Murray

Send Okposo and get Murray with retention

As long as Buffalo isn't as bad as Ottawa, Murray will be fine

This should really be past tense. At least for this season, Buffalo is clearly a budget team.

Reactions: Jacob582

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Buff should take a chance on Georgiev if they can give him some solid time.
Geo needs to be playing a lot of games/minutes to be sharp. He’s terrible in a straight up back up role.
He doesn’t have a huge cap hit or a long term deal. He’s a guy that could thrive in more of a 50/50 - 60/40 split type of situation.
He also shouldn’t cost too much to acquire.

Reactions: bernmeister

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buff should take a chance on Georgiev if they can give him some solid time.
Geo needs to be playing a lot of games/minutes to be sharp. He’s terrible in a straight up back up role.
He doesn’t have a huge cap hit or a long term deal. He’s a guy that could thrive in more of a 50/50 - 60/40 split type of situation.
He also shouldn’t cost too much to acquire.

One stat of note for every Buffalo Sabres player at the season's quarter mark

Aaron Dell: His save percentage of .862 ranks 60th of the 61 goaltenders who’ve played at least five games. The Rangers’ Alexandar Georgiev is last at .858.

And the Rangers want a middle 6 F for Georgiev...

Using stats from Clear Sight Analytics, Georgiev has an actual Save% of .858 on an expected Save% of .879. So, while the Rangers haven't been good in front of him, he has played at a below expected level. That has buyer beware all over it, IMO.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You don’t want Holtby, trust me. Washed.

Holtby would be an upgrade on Tokarski and Dell. That is all the Sabres need right now.

I think the issue with Holtby is that Dallas likely doesn't want to move him because of their cap situation and even if they move Holtby for a pick they won't have the cap space to activate Bishop off of LTIR when he is ready to go.

With the compressed schedule, teams will need 3 goalies. With Khudobin struggling hugely so far this season, I can't see Dallas elevating Khudobin to Otter's backup and then Point as their organizational 3rd for what Holtby is likely to get them in return.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Using stats from Clear Sight Analytics, Georgiev has an actual Save% of .858 on an expected Save% of .879. So, while the Rangers haven't been good in front of him, he has played at a below expected level. That has buyer beware all over it, IMO.

Yea, he hasn’t been great this season. That’s why he’d likely come at a discounted cost.
When Geo was at his best was when shesty was injured and he was playing a heavier dose of minutes. He’s not old by any means as far as goalies go, and he’s shown the ability to win the 40 save big games in the past.
He is doing terrible In a full time back up role. Right now with Geo, the rangers don’t know what they are going to get when the call his number. It’s either feast or famine. He either looks great, or he gives up 1-2 bad goals and crumbles.
For a Team like Buff or ARI, it would be worth the gamble only if they plan on giving him a heavy dose of nightly games in a more shared situation.
I think it has a lot to do with keeping him involved and keeping him sharp. Right now when he has a bad outing, he sits for 3-4 games in favor of shesty ( obviously) and he dwells on those mistakes for those 7-8 days and it kills his confidence.
Goalies need to have a short memory about bad games or mistakes, and Geo has shown imo that in a full time back up capacity, he’s not good or suited for it.
He has also shown in the past when the rangers needed him when shesty was injured, with more constant and usual playing time, he capable of providing solid goaltending.
Like I’ve said, it might be worth it for a ARI, BUFF, OTT etc to take a shot and see if he returns to form with a heavier workload. If not, it’s not an albatross contract in length or cap hit, and he should cost a lot to acquire.
Not only that, I think the rangers would be better off with a True Back-up goalie in their back up role.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yea, he hasn’t been great this season. That’s why he’d likely come at a discounted cost.
When Geo was at his best was when shesty was injured and he was playing a heavier dose of minutes. He’s not old by any means as far as goalies go, and he’s shown the ability to win the 40 save big games in the past.
He is doing terrible In a full time back up role. Right now with Geo, the rangers don’t know what they are going to get when the call his number. It’s either feast or famine. He either looks great, or he gives up 1-2 bad goals and crumbles.
For a Team like Buff or ARI, it would be worth the gamble only if they plan on giving him a heavy dose of nightly games in a more shared situation.
I think it has a lot to do with keeping him involved and keeping him sharp. Right now when he has a bad outing, he sits for 3-4 games in favor of shesty ( obviously) and he dwells on those mistakes for those 7-8 days and it kills his confidence.
Goalies need to have a short memory about bad games or mistakes, and Geo has shown imo that in a full time back up capacity, he’s not good or suited for it.
He has also shown in the past when the rangers needed him when shesty was injured, with more constant and usual playing time, he capable of providing solid goaltending.
Like I’ve said, it might be worth it for a ARI, BUFF, OTT etc to take a shot and see if he returns to form with a heavier workload. If not, it’s not an albatross contract in length or cap hit, and he should cost a lot to acquire.

Wanting a middle 6 F that is decent isn't much of a discount given how bad he has been this year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Wanting a middle 6 F that is decent isn't much of a discount given how bad he has been this year.
That ask was likely from camp or the beginning of the season. He likely could be had for a draft pick. Probably like a 3rd or 4th or something.
Drury would probably also take a 3rd/4th line tweeter and bring up kinkaid

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019
Character concerns surrounding both Georgiev and Greiss make it highly unlikely that Kevyn Adams would target either one of them.

Reactions: Chainshot

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I'd consider claiming Georgiev if he hit waivers, but giving up a useful pick/prospect/player? Nah.

coupla dings....
Geo is gonna run hot/cold. That comes with the territory.
What needs to be noticed here is that he does play better w/regular time = consistency.
This is an expiring guy, so if he is cheap there is no real risk other than what you offer him going forward.
Road test him, wear him heavy this season, and be guided accordingly.
If not a fit, you still have his rfa rights, and someone else may throw you a little somethin somethin for that.

As to claiming him, this is not a malcontent we can't put on waivers fast enuf.
Happy to let him go cheap and recover his cap hit as we have other options.
but we are not eating 3-ish m in cap so you get him for a few hundred thou.

Willing to do a Geo only at ridiculous conditional 7th never fulfilled so effectively de facto free asset wise, but you pick up the salary.

===========

counter
Hajek + Geo and two 2022 4ths
for
Osk. Laaksonen [sp?] {a former 3rd rounder}

Sabes downgrade 1 slot but get extra pick on value, + 2 cheap guys who may help now.

---
If you want, I can also throw in Kinkaid for free if you need him to back up Geo, he is close to min $

Rangers can roll w/Huska...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
coupla dings....
Geo is gonna run hot/cold. That comes with the territory.
What needs to be noticed here is that he does play better w/regular time = consistency.
This is an expiring guy, so if he is cheap there is no real risk other than what you offer him going forward.
Road test him, wear him heavy this season, and be guided accordingly.
If not a fit, you still have his rfa rights, and someone else may throw you a little somethin somethin for that.

As to claiming him, this is not a malcontent we can't put on waivers fast enuf.
Happy to let him go cheap and recover his cap hit as we have other options.
but we are not eating 3-ish m in cap so you get him for a few hundred thou.

Willing to do a Geo only at ridiculous conditional 7th never fulfilled so effectively de facto free asset wise, but you pick up the salary.

===========

counter
Hajek + Geo and two 2022 4ths
for
Osk. Laaksonen [sp?] {a former 3rd rounder}

Sabes downgrade 1 slot but get extra pick on value, + 2 cheap guys who may help now.

---
If you want, I can also throw in Kinkaid for free if you need him to back up Geo, he is close to min $

Rangers can roll w/Huska...

I doubt the Sabres have any interest in moving Laaksonen given how thin they are at RHD.

He is one of only 3 RHD that the Sabres have signed for next season. And he is the 2nd best player on that really short list.

The Sabres are loaded at LHD and thin at RHD. So, Hajek does nothing for the Sabres.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I doubt the Sabres have any interest in moving Laaksonen given how thin they are at RHD.

He is one of only 3 RHD that the Sabres have signed for next season. And he is the 2nd best player on that really short list.

The Sabres are loaded at LHD and thin at RHD. So, Hajek does nothing for the Sabres.

fair enuf I was focused principally on overall value, not the pieces as much and remembered OL was a 3rd.

Counter offer?
A future 3rd ?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
fair enuf I was focused principally on overall value, not the pieces as much and remembered OL was a 3rd.

Counter offer?
A future 3rd ?

If the Rangers are looking for an NHL forward, plenty of Sabres fans would be willing to give up Bjork for Georgiev. I also wonder if R2 could be available given his recent demotion to Rochester.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the Rangers are looking for an NHL forward, plenty of Sabres fans would be willing to give up Bjork for Georgiev. I also wonder if R2 could be available given his recent demotion to Rochester.

despite musings to the contrary, don't believe in short term Rangers looking for prospect bodies in return, give super tight cap next yr, and prefer picks or elc that have zero or min cap implications short term

howev
while that is a guideline
to some extent we can be flexible.

Other Sabes fans good with Bjork for Geo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad