Value of: Goalie to buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Assuming he wasn't gonna re-sign that makes sense, thanks for clearing it up!
He resigned for the league minimum.

He’s been a decent backup for the Avs. Played several real good to capable games. Only one or two stinkers. His rebound control is still an adventure but his size allows him to make saves simply by being big and tall. He’s got solid slide control. His handles are fine. I’m not sure what happened in Buffalo because he has looked like a legit NHL on the Avs.

He came to the Avs with horrible reviews and some writer called him the worst goalie he’s even seen, but JoJo has been worth at least a 3rd rounder to the Avs, maybe more. A trade Sakic makes again 100 times in 100.

if the Avs have to waive him when their backup is healthy, I highly doubt he makes it thru waivers.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How about a hockey trade instead of a Cap-based one?

Isles need a shakeup too, so how about Varlamov and Bellows for Oloffson and Butcher? You get a clear #1 and we get an LD to replace Leddy and a PP sniper who is left-handed (clearly a need for us).

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Isles need a shakeup too, so how about Varlamov and Bellows for Oloffson and Butcher? You get a clear #1 and we get an LD to replace Leddy and a PP sniper who is left-handed (clearly a need for us).

VO has been one of our best players this year. Not judt a one-trick PP weapon. He's likely already played himself into contention for a big extension in the offseason.

I'd certainly be interested in Varlamov+Bellows though.

If a promising young LHD is a need for you guys - we certainly have those to spare. And we can obviously take on salary.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
VO has been one of our best players this year. Not judt a one-trick PP weapon. He's likely already played himself into contention for a big extension in the offseason.

I'd certainly be interested in Varlamov+Bellows though.

If a promising young LHD is a need for you guys - we certainly have those to spare. And we can obviously take on salary.

You're not getting a #1 goalie if you aren't sending back something that helps the Isles win now. There are some nice LD pieces in our system but we need a Top 4 LD now who can move the puck and clear the zone. And we certainly need a goal scorer on the PP but I don't see Oloffson as a one-trick pony either.

How many more points would you have this year with a Varlamov in goal? 3.33 GA with the goalies facing 33.6 shots per game?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
JoJo was going to be a UFA at the end of the year and we would have lost him for nothing.

6th rounder > Nothing

You're reading too much into it. Johansson was traded because he was awful and somebody decided to give us an asset for him anyway. I'm glad Avs fans like him, but he was still a goalie with exactly 1 good pro season, in which he was a successful AHL backup.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We like Okposo, he's a leader

But Buffalo doesn't really have any other contracts with AAV and term. Unless they want to retain like 3-4 M$ on Skinner? Doubt it

okposo is way better than Murray.

If you want, if you want but it doesn't change much, if anything.

Okposo has been a cap dump for years. Murray since the 2020-21 season that started 10 months ago

So you want to keep Okposo? Fine but Sens still retain 2.25

Murray at 4.0 for "future considerations" then

Make it Skinner and you've got a deal

Is it an obscure prospect or you're talking about Jeff? lol do you think Ottawa is going to take the 52 M$ owed to Skinner instead of the 15 M$ owed to Murray?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think VO might be available for a longer-term fix in goal. For a guy like Sorokin (I know he's likely a non-starter in trade talks, don't worry). I don't think VO would be available for a 1-2 year fix in goal.

The issue with Buffalo making a "hockey deal" is that most of the players performing well for us are pieces we want to hold onto (VO, Thompson, Cozens, Okposo, Girgensons, etc) and the pieces that are available (Hinostroza, Bjork, Eakin, etc) are depth pieces in a good team.

As an aside -- if you want an LD from Buffalo, you want Hagg. You don't want Butcher. Holy cow, you don't want Butcher.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You're not getting a #1 goalie if you aren't sending back something that helps the Isles win now. There are some nice LD pieces in our system but we need a Top 4 LD now who can move the puck and clear the zone. And we certainly need a goal scorer on the PP but I don't see Oloffson as a one-trick pony either.

How many more points would you have this year with a Varlamov in goal? 3.33 GA with the goalies facing 33.6 shots per game?

As already said - I'd be interested in Varlamov - but no way if it costs us Olofsson.

Varlamov is 33, one year from UFA & is right now your expensive backup. His value is not close to that of Olofsson's.

Reactions: banks

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
imo Buffalo shouldnt be trading any substantive picks. Their firsts and seconds should be off the table. They are playing better then expected (at least imo) but shouldnt chance it. Someone for a 3rd or later, a prospect that is declining in value or an overpaid contract. Otherwise dont bother.

Maybe driedger can be had for cheap/cheapish?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

We aren’t trading Olofsson for a backup 30+ goalie. If I’m moving Olofsson, Dobson would be coming back.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
But Buffalo doesn't really have any other contracts with AAV and term. Unless they want to retain like 3-4 M$ on Skinner? Doubt it

Okposo has been a cap dump for years. Murray since the 2020-21 season that started 10 months ago

Is it an obscure prospect or you're talking about Jeff? lol do you think Ottawa is going to take the 52 M$ owed to Skinner instead of the 15 M$ owed to Murray?
No I don't but a boy can dream

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Unless the Sens are adding assets along with Murray, there is zero reason to acquire him. And retention doesn't add much value for Buffalo.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Can’t remember if Smith has a NTC or not.

Run the year with Mike Smith. Not sure why you’d want to even trade for a decent goalie. Say it bumps you to 7-8th overall in the standings. What good does that bring you? I’d rather just let it run and watch the ping pongs fall where they may

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad