GMMG's trades thus far?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Are GMMG's trades up to and including the Ceci trade absolute dogshit or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
dude maximized our macklin celebrini odds, and, acquired many futures while restructuring our cap situation for the next 5 years. I don't care at all about nitpicking a cody ceci, a kunin, or giving up a few thirds when we "shouldn't" have
This is the only reasonable point of view.

Reactions: TheBeard

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Def not dogshit. I also don't care about a few minor trades that were a bit questionable or the Burns trade where Grier was just doing him a solid. The most important trades (Hertl, Meier, Karlsson) were home runs. Grier cleaned up our cap sheet and got us Celebrini + other very solid futures.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I was sorry to see Hertl go. But it was further best for him and the team. That it was Vegas, really chapped my hide.
All in all, I'm pleased with the overall job Grier has done.

Reactions: rideaucrusher21

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I would like more options because I wouldnt say dogshit, but I would say more negative than positive for me. He just looks good because he finally made the hard decisions Wilson refused to for years.

Hard part has always been actually building a good team after doing the easy teardown

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Burns trade -- F, by circumstance. I know Burns wanted out and Grier had limited options, but none of the assets we acquired from this trade are with the franchise anymore. Lorentz moved on to win a Cup elsewhere. I can't fault Grier for the outcome here.

EK65 trade -- D. The only thing that made this trade passable was the fact that the Penguins ended up sucking and getting us into a position to draft a top end D. The (only) 1st rounder we got in this trade, which should have gotten us multiple 1sts especially considering we retained *and* gave up a 3rd, could have easily been pick 25-32. Granlund was a nice surprise but was a HUGE question mark coming into the year. Hoffman ended up being one of the worst players to ever put on a Sharks sweater. And Rutta was a cap dump that has been a mixed bag in the games he wasn't injured for.

Walman trade - A. So far this is his best trade, of course it's dependent on how well Walman does, but getting a free pick to take on his services was a no brainer.

Trading up from 14 to 11 - C. A bog standard trade that any GM could have made.

Meier trade - B+. I was pretty high on Mukh the year he was drafted and wished we could have gotten him then. Could easily become the 2nd best D from that draft. Zetterlund wasn't anything special the remainder of the year after that trade but really stepped it up last season. Musty should have been picked higher and we lucked into him. Johnsson and Okhotiuk were busts.

Hertl trade - D+, would have been C without retention. Obviously this trade hinges on who we get with the pick next Draft. Edstrom is a project C who is at least 4 years from seeing NHL action. Return should have been better given the retention.

Ceci/Emberson trade - F. Absolutely nonsensical trade no matter what the circumstances. Ceci is a known pylon and becomes our worst Defenseman since Colin White. Giving up a young asset for a Cap Dump and what will likely end up being a low 3rd is abysmal no matter how you slice it.

Grundstrom for Burroughs - C. Burroughs sucks but I don't see Grundstrom becoming anything special considering the logjam in our bottom six. A nothing trade.

Wiesblatt - Afanayasev - F. Gave up an asset that could help the Barracuda for someone who will very likely never play for the Sharks ever.

Ty Dellandrea - C. see Grundstrom.

Devin Cooley - C. Insignificant.

Kahkonen for Vanacek and 7th - D. Kahkonen had better value than this due to the scarcity of Goaltenders on the market. Vanacek was a cap dump/reclamation project.

Okhotiuk for a 5th - C. insignificant.

Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Burns trade -- F, by circumstance. I know Burns wanted out and Grier had limited options, but none of the assets we acquired from this trade are with the franchise anymore. Lorentz moved on to win a Cup elsewhere. I can't fault Grier for the outcome here.

EK65 trade -- D. The only thing that made this trade passable was the fact that the Penguins ended up sucking and getting us into a position to draft a top end D. The (only) 1st rounder we got in this trade, which should have gotten us multiple 1sts especially considering we retained *and* gave up a 3rd, could have easily been pick 25-32. Granlund was a nice surprise but was a HUGE question mark coming into the year. Hoffman ended up being one of the worst players to ever put on a Sharks sweater. And Rutta was a cap dump that has been a mixed bag in the games he wasn't injured for.

Walman trade - A. So far this is his best trade, of course it's dependent on how well Walman does, but getting a free pick to take on his services was a no brainer.

Trading up from 14 to 11 - C. A bog standard trade that any GM could have made.

Meier trade - B+. I was pretty high on Mukh the year he was drafted and wished we could have gotten him then. Could easily become the 2nd best D from that draft. Zetterlund wasn't anything special the remainder of the year after that trade but really stepped it up last season. Musty should have been picked higher and we lucked into him. Johnsson and Okhotiuk were busts.

Hertl trade - D+, would have been C without retention. Obviously this trade hinges on who we get with the pick next Draft. Edstrom is a project C who is at least 4 years from seeing NHL action. Return should have been better given the retention.

Ceci/Emberson trade - F. Absolutely nonsensical trade no matter what the circumstances. Ceci is a known pylon and becomes our worst Defenseman since Colin White. Giving up a young asset for a Cap Dump and what will likely end up being a low 3rd is abysmal no matter how you slice it.

Grundstrom for Burroughs - C. Burroughs sucks but I don't see Grundstrom becoming anything special considering the logjam in our bottom six. A nothing trade.

Wiesblatt - Afanayasev - F. Gave up an asset that could help the Barracuda for someone who will very likely never play for the Sharks ever.

Ty Dellandrea - C. see Grundstrom.

Devin Cooley - C. Insignificant.

Kahkonen for Vanacek and 7th - D. Kahkonen had better value than this due to the scarcity of Goaltenders on the market. Vanacek was a cap dump/reclamation project.

Okhotiuk for a 5th - C. insignificant.
Summary: @Bizz plays tennis without the net.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Except two of the three assets are still part of the franchise.

It’s clear you’re married to your Grier hatred and I doubt Grier could do anything to appease you short of getting McDavid for Vlasic (and even then I’m not sure it changes things).

would like more options because I wouldnt say dogshit, but I would say more negative than positive for me. He just looks good because he finally made the hard decisions Wilson refused to for years.
I’m genuinely curious what you think Grier could have done differently?

Reactions: Tw1ster

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Except two of the three assets are still part of the franchise.

It’s clear you’re married to your Grier hatred and I doubt Grier could do anything to appease you short of getting McDavid for Vlasic (and even then I’m not sure it changes things).

You're right. F's across the board. Why even bother reading the rest of the post.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I think Wiesblatt is even less likely than Afanayasev to be make useful contributions in the NHL for the Sharks. If you look at a trade where we send away a total bust for an intriguing prospect whose NHL rights we will hold and who we could sign in the future when his contract in the KHL expires and grade that trade as an F it makes it hard to take anything you say seriously.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Overall, pretty happy with the moves. Wish we'd moved Hill anywhere else
Yes Hill helped Vegas win the cup but that contract will be a drag on their cap for years to come. Without the Hill contract they would have been able to keep one of the key players they lost.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Pretty good overall. I was critical for a while, but he's shown that he's got a vision and things have seemingly gone to plan so far.

Reactions: Star Platinum

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think Grier's trades have been fine. If you have the two choices in the poll as "Supreme Thievery" vs. "Not surpeme thievery", I think you would get more "not" votes. The overall trade grade ranning seems in the B/B+ range. Good deals overall, not necessarily max return.

It's hard to argue for complete dogshit, but its also hard to argue for epic thievery. He has also gotten a little lucky as Pit missed the POs with EK (if that pick was 25 instead of 14, that deal would be less attractive), Dick fell in the draft. He also got very lucky that EK gave him a norris year, but good on Grier to sell high.

While selling his high end players on big $ deals has been respectable, building a historically bad team is not exactly a great skill. Any GM can build the worst team in the league.

The real test will be building a winner and relatively quickly. Any GM could do that with a decade of tanking and 7 or 8 top 5 picks. The real skill is building a winner relatively quickly, and not being mired near the bottom for a decade.

To do that, he is going to need to acquire lots of future capital very fast (check as he took a bottom 10 farm and made it arguably #1 in two years), draft well (check, not Celly which is easy, but Musty, dick, and others), trade well to bring in good players (a little with Zetterlund and maybe Mukh, but not much yet), and sign UFA's wisely (Toffoli perhaps? and perhaps a little soon to really make plays for the top names). In this regard, of course he is not there yet. Obviously, its too early in the rebuild to judge him too much on this, but his imports to date have been quite poor, albeit with minimal damage.

Quinn was a terrible hire. Lindbom, kunin (why is he still here?), Sturm, G Smith, Wennberg (TBD), Goodrow (TBD), Nuutivara, Benning, Zadina... While none of those guys is hamstringing the team with $ and term (goodrow a bit), its also true that none were any good.

The big question is can grier trade FOR good players and UFA sign good vets to build a team. He did trade for zetterlund which looks like a great move right now, mukh (TBD), and signed Toffoli, so perhaps the process of Building, rather than tearing down, has begun.

The next two years will really tell the tale on Grier's skills. If the sharks remain dead last and grier's additions flounder, then yes we would get two more elite prospects, but I think fans (and I) would like to see a quality product alot sooner than 2028, and I think deft adds would allow that to happen.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Quinn was a terrible hire. Lindbom, kunin (why is he still here?), Sturm, G Smith, Wennberg (TBD), Goodrow (TBD), Nuutivara, Benning, Zadina... While none of those guys is hamstringing the team with $ and term (goodrow a bit), its also true that none were any good.
Sturm has far exceeded the expectations and will have a decent market at the TDL. Using other low cost lotto tickets to make any point seems odd because they rarely if ever work out no matter who the player, the team or the GM. Lindblom was the only one you could make a valid argument.

Also penalizing a GM because guys had good seasons or other teams had bad seasons or players slid in the draft is just… weird.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sturm has far exceeded the expectations and will have a decent market at the TDL. Using other low cost lotto tickets to make any point seems odd because they rarely if ever work out no matter who the player, the team or the GM. Lindblom was the only one you could make a valid argument.
Sturm's going to bring a 6th, maybe. He's not actually very good at anything except winning faceoffs, and we can't retain - he'll be some team's 12th or even 13th forward (like he was for Colorado) in the playoffs.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sturm's going to bring a 6th, maybe. He's not actually very good at anything except winning faceoffs, and we can't retain - he'll be some team's 12th or even 13th forward (like he was for Colorado) in the playoffs.
So in your opinion he's got less value than Ben Meyers or Anthony Beauvillier?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So in your opinion he's got less value than Ben Meyers or Anthony Beauvillier?
In my opinion, it's very, very difficult to make player-to-player comparisons for the purposes of trade value in different seasons between different teams.

But no, I don't think Sturm will have a lot of value at the deadline, because I don't think he's a very good hockey player. On a contending team, he's on the bench a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad