Post-Game Talk: GM06 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Chicago Blackhawks | 6-3 (Heinen(2), Miller, Garland, Boeser, & Suter) | Good Hockey Team

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Thank god Mikheyev isn't on our team anymore.

Like honestly what does he actually do? He has 1 point (an assist) in his last 30 games. He just goes out there, skates around for 14 minutes and calls it a day.

Genuinely wondering what his actual purpose is on an NHL roster, and I'm not trolling. He doesn't check, he doesn't hit, he provides zero offense, he doesn't do anything...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Thought Bains was fine and I'm still so confused about the hate for a young guy getting an opportunity who is doing OK.

Most of the criticism towards Bains isn't entirely on him but rather where they've been deploying him. I have no problem with the kid getting his feet wet on the fourth line and maybe getting some extra shifts in a blow out game or if he's playing particularly well.

My issue is when they kept slapping him in the top six. He's just not good enough for that role yet.

Like honestly what does he actually do? He has 1 point (an assist) in his last 30 games. He just goes out there, skates around for 14 minutes and calls it a day.

Genuinely wondering what his actual purpose is on an NHL roster, and I'm not trolling. He doesn't check, he doesn't hit, he provides zero offense, he doesn't do anything...

It's a shame, really. When we signed him he was actually fairly decent. Hell, 31 points in 78 games is far from horrible if he wasn't making 5M. Unfortunately, his injury to wrecked his career it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a PTO once his contract ends.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
We are so PDO.

Myers-Soucy pair is really struggling. Myers' skating is definitely still affected by the knee injury but Soucy hasn't been sharp on a lot of plays either.

Brannstrom-Desharnais is still a work in progress but man that pair looks so much better with a guy who can actually skate and move the puck. I've seen a few mistakes from Brannstrom but overall pretty happy with how he's fit in. Amazing that we managed to dump the Poolman contract and get an acutal asset back.

Never understood why people seemed to be down on Heinen. This is exactly what he does - smart player who reads his linemates well, understands how to support the puck and has the hands to finish and make plays around the net.

As others have said, we were really sloppy tonight, got a bit lucky and holy f*** did we strike gold with Lankinen. After the first 5-10 minutes this had the look of one of those dumb outlier games that ends up 8-6 or something.

Quinn Hughes is just stupid. Hes a top 5 player in the league and effortlessly dominates without really any fanfare. Maybe the most talented player to ever put on a Canucks uniform.
I would say it's not a maybe. He's literally a cheat code.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and bh53

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Kiefer Sherwood is putting up some insane hits numbers over the past few games while also potting a few points as well. Him and Blueger have found some real chemistry, and Joshua is going to fit like a glove there. A real crash and bang third line with skill is loading.

Garland is playing the best hockey of his career and I’m glad he’s graduating onto that second line with Pettersson. He’s going to flirt with 70+ points this year.
This is the Garland I expected when we traded for him.

Thank God for Tocchet because I don’t think a lot of coaches would have believed, nor given him the opportunity.

• Love

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As I said from the time Allvin claimed him, Brannstrom is the Canucks' 4th best defenseman. This is also why I wanted them to sign him in the offseason when he was UFA. And with the way Soucy-Myers have been looking, he's arguably their 3D on ability right now. The Soucy-Myers pair was a disaster. Brannstrom-Desharnais had some hiccups, but pretty much every mistake was because of Desharnais. But you can really see Brannstrom's ability to get back on retrievals and make a quick pass.

We are so PDO.

Myers-Soucy pair is really struggling. Myers' skating is definitely still affected by the knee injury but Soucy hasn't been sharp on a lot of plays either.

Brannstrom-Desharnais is still a work in progress but man that pair looks so much better with a guy who can actually skate and move the puck. I've seen a few mistakes from Brannstrom but overall pretty happy with how he's fit in. Amazing that we managed to dump the Poolman contract and get an acutal asset back.

Never understood why people seemed to be down on Heinen. This is exactly what he does - smart player who reads his linemates well, understands how to support the puck and has the hands to finish and make plays around the net.

As others have said, we were really sloppy tonight, got a bit lucky and holy f*** did we strike gold with Lankinen. After the first 5-10 minutes this had the look of one of those dumb outlier games that ends up 8-6 or something.

I would say it's not a maybe. He's literally a cheat code.
Yes. Fortunate win. The scoreline is very flattering. Quinn is a cheat code though. The Canucks are really two teams: An elite, elite club with Hughes on the ice. And a bad one with him off the ice. Soucy-Myers have been a disaster from game 1.

Agreed on Heinen. People who know puck and know what to watch know he's been consistently doing the right things. Runs the right routes on the forecheck and backcheck. No egregious mistakes. And today he chips in nicely. Exactly what your're asking for out of a $2.25M utility player.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
As good as Miller was tonight despite his injury.

Is it really a smart idea to continue icing your #1 when he's clearly injured, especially given this team's history of playing injured players and exacerbating their problems.

Did we literally learn nothing from Demko and Petey last season

Reactions: Indiana and David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks could have had 10 goals in this game with any finish. But it was interesting to listen to some of the post-game comments from Canuck players who weren't all that satisfied with their overall effort.

The fly in the ointment continues to be the Canuck blueline--specifically that Myers-Soucy pairing. They were mostly terrible tonight and lucky to have escaped on a lot of shifts.

On the positive side, Brannstrom continues to build his confidence and overall game. He had a few yips tonight, but he's a major factor when he starts head-manning the puck and lugging it out of his own zone. Supposedly his pairing with Desharnais are a 5-6. But if Myers and Soucy continue their struggles, maybe they have to move up.

Not much doubt the Canucks will be the market for blueline help as the seasons winds forward. But they'll be competing with a lot of teams who are in the same boat.

Canucks are now off until Saturday when they play the Pens on HNIC. Hopefully Joshua is getting closer every day.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Canucks have one regulation loss to start the season. A week ago the sky was falling.
oh how things change with 1 win and then another aint it. lankien is soo good. petey missed an grade a opporutnity to score on a wide cage and elected to pass.. oh look danton heinen got on the board.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

loui eriksson 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad