Post-Game Talk: GM06 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Chicago Blackhawks | 6-3 (Heinen(2), Miller, Garland, Boeser, & Suter) | Good Hockey Team

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Thought this was the most important game for him yet. Realistic position on the roster and he didn't contribute.

Should be sent down tomorrow.

I wonder if VAN rolls 22 man rosters for the next month or so to bank more cap space @Vector

I thought about that and it's realistic to do so until Joshua is supposedly back in 2 weeks. Abbotsford Canucks are back home for the rest of the month and when the Vancouver Canucks go on a California road trip, so do the Abbotsford Canucks. If some tweaks something you can call-up someone that day. If they want to get further under, will need to waive someone and I don't see them doing that. Possible they send Brannstrom down, since he wouldn't require waivers, if Forbort returns to the team right away but that means icing the roster that was the least successful.

Reactions: bossram

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sherwood vs Stamkos update. Predators won 4-0 for the first win of the season. However, Stamkos didn't register a stat other than 2 shots on goal in nearly 19 minutes of ice time. The guy they let go finished with 2 assists, +2, 3 shots on net, and 12 hits in only 15 minutes of ice time.
I wonder if Trotz even watched Stamkos play last year or just thought it would be a good idea on paper… He was already looking cooked 5v5 and only really had decent PP utility (doesn’t he play the same spot Forsberg does)?

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Miller - at times had trouble moving the puck (again I think he has injured hand) but some sick set ups in spite of this. As he begins to ramp up so does the team. Him and rest of PP was looking better in this one

Think? lol, they literally talked about his hand being injured on the broadcast.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One of those games where the score probably flatters us - Chicago is absolute crap but we were really sloppy defensively and without some big saves we could have let them back in this game.

Best Canuck was probably Teddy Blueger who was just terrific both ways and is playing his best hockey as a Canuck and doing it without Garland or Joshua. That whole line was excellent - Sherwood looks like an absolute steal, hit everything that moved again and could have had 3 or 4 points. Nice for Heinen to get his first couple goals - not an exciting player but a very intelligent one who is in the right places at the right times.

JT Miller gutted out a 3-point game when he probably shouldn't have been playing. Great character stuff.

Elias Pettersson was pretty good. Had his tail up at times and was in good positions on the ice, showed a few flashes of confident play. Execution still not amazing. But this is palatable even without much production - you can at least see effort and positive body language.

Jake Debrusk had a quiet game - needs a goal.

Thought Bains was fine and I'm still so confused about the hate for a young guy getting an opportunity who is doing OK.

Hughes-Hronek were ho-hum dominant.

Really rough game for Soucy-Myers. They're having to play more consistently high-leverage minutes as the team tries to hide the 3rd pairing and are having a struggle right now. Soucy doesn't look as sharp as last year and Myers probably isn't 100% after his knee tweak a few games ago.

Brannstrom had a couple 'oops' moments but was mostly good again, picked up an assist.

Lankinen was excellent again. Looks like a legit above-average #1 right now.

2 of the 3 PPs tonight were really good and featured lots of quality movement and less standing around ... and shockingly they got results.

Connor Bedard is very dangerous with the puck on his stick ... and then Chicago loses possession and they're playing a tiny little WHLer making little effort to get back in the play. Chicago is so weak on structure down the middle with this player playing so much.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Word on the street is JT Miller may have an injury to his hand. Not sure this rumour is real, but it may explain some difficulties taking draws.

DeBrusk should be better than Heinen by some levels of magnitude due to salary, role and expectations. We already have one top six guy playing like a third liner, so he's not allowed.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Solid offensive game, but a few defensive lapses as well. Lankinen covered up, but some of the wingers today, along with the Soucy/Myers pair, need to clean up their in-zone play. Thought Debrusk and Hoglander were particularly guilty at times of soft, slow play in their own zone.

Most important takeaway for me was Petterson was not tentative at all today. He was back to stick handling, leaning into the play instead of always being upright, and was making decisions quicker. His zone entries on the PP were great, and probably should've gotten a second assist as he definitely tipped that first PP goal to Miller. He plays like that consistently and he's going to break out of this scoring funk - much better sign than the first 3 games which were very concerning.

Boeser and Miller did great work on the PP today. They were lacking at ES, but forgiveable given Miller's injury. Debrusk needs to up his compete level in general - he has the wheels to get in and wreak more havoc on the forecheck, and carry the puck in the zone, but he was definitely off tonight.

Garland continues to be a beast. It looks like he's developing chemistry with Petterson, and helped the first unit PP on zone entries today. Taking that step forward from dominant ES player to someone who can put up 65+ points this year would be big for the team this year. Hoglander could've had a couple today with a bit better puck luck.

Third line was on fire, incredible how all were free agents this offseason and are making a combined 5.5 million dollars. NHL GMs never cease to amaze me - how Sherwood is getting 1.5 million on a multi-year deal, while Sam Lafferty is making 2 million, blows my mind. He's an ES play driver, good ES scorer, and an absolute energizer all over the ice who's physical as heck. Hell, I'm pretty certain he's better than Stamkos at ES at this point who Nashville spent 6.5 million more on.

Fourth line missed Sprong carrying the puck up ice today. I didn't mind Bains' game, but it doesn't quite fit with Suter & Aman the same way Sprong did. Aman & Suter cover up for his weaknesses nicely, and Sprong does a good job of carrying the puck up the ice for them.

Thought the first and third pairings were good, but Soucy/Myers remains a problem. Something's gotta give there eventually, and I'm curious how much worse it will get when the quality of competition starts to ramp up.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
1729658260478.png

One of those times where it pretty much reflects the eye test 1:1

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
He probably changed it/simplified it to Kevin
His native language is swedish apparently so I assume he's from a fennoswedish background (swedish speaking finns in finland) in which his second name Christian fits, but the name Kevin is out of the box thinking for sure.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Double his salary and re-sign him for next year. He's the permanent backup for Demko.

We should try right now. He wanted 2 mill last year. If we let him keep playing like this he will want 4+
They can't extend him before January 1, a rule that only applies to one year contracts. Unless he regresses quite a bit before January 1 doubling this year's pay isn't going to be enough.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I was curious from the first period as I had to tune out, was a reason given for the offside goal to be allowed?
I was listening to the radio broadcast while the review was going on. After seeing the replay, Batchelor was at first very confident that the goal was going to be called back. But then after watching a couple more and trying to figure out why the officials were still conferring, he realized it was going to stand, because Sherwood managed to tag up after <?>directing the puck without actually gaining control</?> or something like that... I still haven't seen it, so I had some trouble following.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
That one felt nice. This is an easy game to lose at the end of a road trip - losing focus is expected.

One negative takeaway for me was Desharnais. I think he's decent with the puck and in transition but in defensive zone coverage he often gets lost and loses his position. He's made a few bad pinch reads as well. I think this stuff will iron out it's a different system but I guess my point is I understand the scratch and watch the game from above idea better now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad