Pre-Game Talk: GM06 | Vancouver Canucks @ Chicago Blackhawks | Tue. Oct 22nd | 5:15pm PST | SNP | That's a Weird Start Time

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Would you put money down on him to be there in 3-4 years or however long it does take Chicago to make the PO again? I wouldn't. He's one of the older youngsters at 25, so he'd be late 20's at least and a UFA that the team may move off from in a couple of years.
No, I wouldn't. Made it pretty clear I am quite low on Kurashev.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So the pp was terrible the last half of last year so the solution is to move the new guy debrusk off of it because he must be the problem.

Imo this is not a personnel issue, it's how the pp operates problem. You have the right talent. Then again I don't think he really knows what to do with a modern day NHL pp. Last year he was helping run it and I don't think he knows what to tell them other then to try for more tips and tip passes which are so hard to pull off consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the idea is less about moving DeBrusk off the powerplay and more about putting Garland, the best Canuck forward to start the season, on it. Treats every forecheck like it's his last and is excellent at gaining possession. Canucks biggest powerplay problem is they can't get set up at all. Hell, can barely gain entry.

The powerplay really started to wilt when they removed Kuzmenko from it. He shouldn't have been key but he was an excellent safety release valve. Another skilled forward that could take a pass and keep the puck moving. Once they removed him, the powerplay became stagnant, then couldn't get possession, and now can't even gain entry. Problems have cascaded.

If this doesn't work, I'd look to do something that is the exact opposite of what I've frequently suggested; split up the powerplay. Long advocated to just have one unit and play them the entire 2 minutes. It's got so bad that I wouldn't be opposed to splitting them up.

Reactions: Tact

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think the idea is less about moving DeBrusk off the powerplay and more about putting Garland, the best Canuck forward to start the season, on it. Treats every forecheck like it's his last and is excellent at gaining possession. Canucks biggest powerplay problem is they can't get set up at all. Hell, can barely gain entry.

The powerplay really started to wilt when they removed Kuzmenko from it. He shouldn't have been key but he was an excellent safety release valve. Another skilled forward that could take a pass and keep the puck moving. Once they removed him, the powerplay became stagnant, then couldn't get possession, and now can't even gain entry. Problems have cascaded.

If this doesn't work, I'd look to do something that is the exact opposite of what I've frequently suggested; split up the powerplay. Long advocated to just have one unit and play them the entire 2 minutes. It's got so bad that I wouldn't be opposed to splitting them up.
He tried garland on the pp last year though and gave debrusk all of 4 games. All he keeps doing since last year is changing the odd player around which does not fix anything, you have the talent, the pp has an operating issue where there is to much around the boards and to many set ups for tip passes which teams easily get in the way of but he doesn't see it or know what to do really so he just continues to swap the odd guy out trying guys like garland or suter.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
:thumbu:

To be honest. I think the bigger question is why does the NFL run in terror from the NHL? PLAY FOOTBALL SATURDAY NIGHTS COWHERDS! They only play games on 3 nights, what are they afraid of? :laugh:
Historically, Friday night was left for high school and the universities and pros both respected it. Saturday was for college and the pros respected it. The pros have enough days and nights to play, there really isn't a need to intrude on their free development league.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Why? Even just a filler for Miller for practice, having Bains practice with the number 1 unit is a net loss.

I’d prefer if someone actually competent was there instead.

Who would you put there that wasn't already practicing on the 2nd unit at that time?

Tact

Jul 9, 2006

I agree - Garland seems very ‘on’ so far to start this season, clearly building from last year.

I’ve also noticed his puck skills and his ability to carry the puck into the zone for entries on the second unit.

It’s worth a look

Who would you put there that wasn't already practicing on the 2nd unit at that time?
Suter

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad