Pre-Game Talk: GM05 | Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | Sat. Oct 19th | 4pm PST | SNP | Back in the Saddle

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wonder if Sprong gets back in the line up? The team scored 4 goals in the last 2 games and has very little production on the PP. We desperately need more finishers. Sprong might not be good defensively but I don't think Bains or Aman contribute much currently either.

He definitely should. He's been sitting, and his competition is Aman.

Reactions: David71

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I wonder if Sprong gets back in the line up? The team scored 4 goals in the last 2 games and has very little production on the PP. We desperately need more finishers. Sprong might not be good defensively but I don't think Bains or Aman contribute much currently either.
I think that rather than thinking that the Canucks signed Sprong as a finished product (which imo given his background would make no sense at all) it is easier to think that they signed him as a project that needs to learn defensive play in more detail than just getting back in his end and trying to do something.

If the team thinks of him as a project then we're likely to see him in and out of the lineup until either he plays the system to Tocchet's minimum level of satisfaction, at which stage he mostly stays in the lineup, or they decide that it isn't worthwhile continuing to try, at which stage he'll be traded or waived.

As will be seen from that my expectation is that yes, he'll be in the lineup, but for the near future intermittently. I doubt that they've already given up on him.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Please take advantage of Philly being on the west coast for the last 2 weeks, and getting one travel day back home to the east coast to play us. That's the kind of cruel scheduling normally reserved for Pacific Division teams. Use it.

No excuses. Blueger bringing his game, Hughes and Hronek slapping bombs on any PP unit, and Lankinen holding the fort.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
stop trying to make sprong happen. there's a reason he's on his 6th nhl team at age 27

I mean some of the guys hes competing with for a spot have never really produced in the nhl like him and play mostly in the ahl so I wouldnt hold that against him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The Sprong signing, like Kuzmenko extension.. seem like the rare cases of a disconnect between management and coach.

With what Tok wants and how Sprong plays... its hard to see him getting many opportunities the rest of the contract.

the big nobody

Jun 4, 2024
New West, BC
Except the 4 games are also a bit of a confirmation of their previous careers to date - Lankinen has been a quality NHL goalie for 4 years and Silovs never has. Lankinen has better NHL numbers over that time than Silovs has AHL numbers.
He's been a career backup. He's played better than Silovs in two games each, but he's not the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
He's been a career backup. He's played better than Silovs in two games each, but he's not the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Rule of thumb is that you never trust an NHL goalie's numbers until they have 100 games.

Lankinen has 114 with a .905 sv%. Silovs has 11 with an .885 sv%.

I like Silovs - he has been thrust into some high leverage situations and has kept his composure. He also clearly has a bunch of holes in his game that he needs to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad