GDT: GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers | Thurs. Oct 17th | 4pm PST | SNP | I Am Not Entertained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This is a completely different team from last year. I dunno what happened but hopefully the boys can figure it out.
Starting to think a heavy playoff run really drains the players completely and lasts months.

Colorado after a few runs. Toast.
Oilers after a run. Toast.
Canucks. Toast.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The negative reaction to Bains is absolutely fascinating. This is the first time, ever, I’ve seen this sort of reaction to a homegrown rookie getting an opportunity.

He’s looked pretty good offensively I’ve though, had struggled with a couple defensive reads which is par for the course for a young player.

The reason he keeps seeing ice time is he’s one of the few guys actually hustling and moving his feet out there. Maybe he’s playing a bit too much, but he’s hardly the problem out there right now.

Blueger being our leading point getter up the middle is the main issue.

Reactions: MS and ephmrl

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This is a completely different team from last year. I dunno what happened but hopefully the boys can figure it out.
It is not a different team at all to the team that played the first 2 road games last year. And the game threads probably mirror also. Peak doom last year was the first road trip out east. The same as now.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The Bains experiment on the first line is stupid and not a position for him to succeed, but he looks better than he did last year and has made significant improvements y/o/y. He almost scored net front but Vasi is gigantic and made a stick save.

Just do the 21 - 40 - 8, 6 - 9 - 74 thing.

Bains lower down. It’s just weird whatever Tocchet has been up to early on here. Nothing seems to make sense

Reactions: ephmrl

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Pretty decent period with some things to clean up (PP, defensive coverage).

The fact that our top guys haven't popped and we're about even with a FLA team without Tkachuk/Barkov.... checks out.

Lots of Bains hate but if he wasn't getting high leverage minutes on an already struggling line on a winless team, I think there wouldn't be so much frustration. Doesn't look like he'll ever be a fast player but needs to make the right reads and get into positioning early to stick around. Tough position for him to be in and learn right now.

This is my complaints. I don't have an issue with them giving Bains an extended look even if I don't see the skill myself. Maybe I'm just missing something and Tocchet knows best. It's where he is in the lineup and his lack of offense that makes the decision baffling to me.

I think we're juggling lines far too quickly. If we absolutely have to move Debrusk away from Petey, put him with Miller not in a third line role after only three games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bains doesn’t look nearly as bad as the reaction he’s getting right now would warrant. He’s distributed the puck fairly effectively and isn’t standing out as better/worse than his linemates. He’s had a couple missed assignments, but so have several players. The team as a whole looks sluggish right now, not sure why we’re singling out Bains.

The weird thing is that prospects NEVER get criticized here. I can remember Yann Sauve looking mindblowingly unplayable and the general mood here being quite positive about it.

People were losing their shit about Lekkerimaki looking almost exactly like this in the preseason.

It’s weird.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think anyone hates Bains. Great story but he's just not a Top 6 forward in the NHL and is likely a AHL Star/NHL tweener long term. This is a get it done league so if he wants to stick in the NHL he will have to produce. Most AHLers only get so many opportunities to produce before they are downgraded to Linden Vey status.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The weird thing is that prospects NEVER get criticized here. I can remember Yann Sauve looking mindblowingly unplayable and the general mood here being quite positive about it.

People were losing their shit about Lekkerimaki looking almost exactly like this in the preseason.

It’s weird.

It's entirely the opposite.

Remember Sergei "2 goal" Shirokov?

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think there’s just a lot of negativity surrounding the team’s start and it’s easy to single out the guy playing in the top 6 who hasn’t proven himself.
The players who should be singled out are Pettersson, Miller, Boeser. If they were playing to expectations then the team would be winning games. No problem with players such as Garland, Hoglander or even Bains being in the top six right now as they’re actually hustling and trying to make a difference on the ice. Ideally Bains would be in the bottom six or 13th forward, but if the core players aren’t performing then it’s irrelevant who’s playing the third spot on the Miller-Boeser line.

Reactions: Regal

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't think anyone hates Bains. Great story but he's just not a Top 6 forward in the NHL and is likely a AHL Star/NHL tweener long term. This is a get it done league so if he wants to stick in the NHL he will have to produce. Most AHLers only get so many opportunities to produce before they are downgraded to Linden Vey status.
You are right about his ability.

But this is his first audition. Last season, it was only two games or so w/ JT. And his line was f***ing destroyed those games. He then was on the Lindholm revolving door the remainder.

He’s done far better than he did last year w/ Miller, but definitely still a tweener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad