Pre-Game Talk: GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Panthers | Thurs. Oct 17th | 4pm PST | SNP | I Am Not Entertained

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Also, when they acquired Friedman - PA stated they viewed him at a 6th/7th defencemen

Why are they treating him like a 8/9/10?

He is clearly better than Juulsen at the very least

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Management offered 7M to Lindholm - they made the correct decision walking from him.

Zadorov OTOH, they should have signed. They were stubborn over 500k and now we have the likes of VD, Forbort and Juulsen. Plus we have to add further assets to get an upgrade. Was a no brainer

Anyways, hope the lines get changed and Juulsen gets stapled to the press box and/or waived.

Also, Silovs needs a break
Lindholm was a little more, not much but a little. Zadorov difference was reported was 275K before July 1 then it would only be if no other offer came in.
That they waited and put him on hold was the deciding factor.

Can't move Juulsen, not enough depth or size

What do 3 GM's do if Tocchet is running the show?

I really liked hearing from Rutherford but since Tocchet he seems to have retired and distanced himself from the management group. Something a guy that fires people needs to do.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. I would say that Zadorov, Lindholm (and to a lesser extent Hronek) are the type of trades we should consider making. The issue is that the Canucks failed to re-sign Zadorov and Lindholm at the dollars management anticipated. Lindholm probably left because he didn't want to play 3C but Zadorov was a bit of a miscalculation. Had we negotiated an extension with Zadorov right away we probably could have got him on a 5 year $4M-$4.5M AAV contract.

There are benefits to waiting but if you trade assets for a player for non-rental purposes I sure hope the ability to sign the player is a big consideration. While things can change, I think 100% the Canucks had knowledge of where contract negotiations were at with both Lindholm and Zadorov before they left Calgary.
With limited assets, they really can't afford to make many more of those types of deals.

You also needed to pay them soon after acquiring them, so they eat up cap space. Lindholm would have jumped $2 mill, Zadorov like $3 mill, Hronek is up like $2.5 mill.

With Demko's injury last PO, they were hard pressed to go deep.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The team practised PK so hard they forgot how to do everything else.

Heres hoping for the teams first win of the season, and in convincing fashion.

Prediction:
6-2 canucks
Petey does a deke so f***ing sick the refs shits themselves on the center ice , falls on his own shit and has to be strechered off the arena.
Shit posting indeed...

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Also, when they acquired Friedman - PA stated they viewed him at a 6th/7th defencemen

Why are they treating him like a 8/9/10?

He is clearly better than Juulsen at the very least
Because he is a 7/8/9 guy. You think he would have been sitting on the bench in Pittsburgh last 2 1/2 years if he was all that good?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I'm not the first to suggest this, but I'd like to see Toc put Boeser on Petey's line with Garland, and DeBrusk with Miller. EP had many of his best moments playing with Brock. Worth a try while they're on the road.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Canucks are playing less skilled as a team compared to last season, last season they controlled play, maintained possession, played keep away from the other team, moved the puck quickly and accurately, seem to have lost that high skill puck control element in their game a bit.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I would rather just set the top line of Boeser-Miller-Heinen give them 5 game to build some chemistry together. We know Suter works on that line, no point in jumping the gun and putting him on that line. Same thing with the third line put and keep Hoglander-Blueger-Garland. So, when Joshua come back you put him on that or he plays with Petey and DeBrusk. And then figure out who you want to play with Petey and Debrusk?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Canucks are playing less skilled as a team compared to last season, last season they controlled play, maintained possession, played keep away from the other team, moved the puck quickly and accurately, seem to have lost that high skill puck control element in their game a bit.

To me, there are 3 central issues with the team right now relative to what was succeeding last year :

1) Goaltending. We win the first game with Demko. We might get a result out of the other two games with Demko.

2) Pettersson. The second line has just been an absolute black hole down the stretch and through the playoffs last year and has continued to start this year, and that rests entirely with the utterly dire play of #40.

3) 3rd defense pairing. With everyone healthy last year, we didn't have a weak defensive pairing and weren't vulnerable to line matching. This year we are, and the 1-0 goal last night as an example was a direct result of having Kucherov/Point/Guentzel out against the hapless Juulsen.

(2) and (3) both play into having less puck control, as you're referring to.

If we sprinkle in 2 extra Demko saves, a couple ES goals from the Pettersson line, and remove one 3rd pairing GA ... we're probably 2-0-1 or something. But when you have multiple issues with the team and each of them is costing you a goal every couple games ... those take points away and turn wins into OTLs and OTLs into losses.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would attach Garland to Pettersson to get both going until you get Joshua up to speed. i dont think it's a good idea to move 40 and Debrusk away from each other. You just signed these 2 to massive term to work together and after 3 games your gonna abandon it because you cant figure out lines elsewhere?
Could also slot Brannstrom with Desharnais and keep Soucy Myers together to see how that looks
Sherwood i would like to see in a more prominent agitation match up role. Him and Blueger are always creating havoc add Hoglander for some scoring ability

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk Pettersson Garland
Hoglander Blueger Sherwood
Bains Suter Sprong

Hughes Hronek
Forbort Myers
Soucy Brannstrom

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Management offered 7M to Lindholm - they made the correct decision walking from him.

Zadorov OTOH, they should have signed. They were stubborn over 500k and now we have the likes of VD, Forbort and Juulsen. Plus we have to add further assets to get an upgrade. Was a no brainer

Anyways, hope the lines get changed and Juulsen gets stapled to the press box and/or waived.

Also, Silovs needs a break

Walking away from Zadorov was the right decision then, as it is today. It's a whole other discussion that signing Desharnais for 2 million is not a good allotment of salary, but signing a #5 defensemen that can pinch in as your #4 here and there who is turning 30 soon for 5 million aav with term is just objectively not a good idea.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Surprised it's Raty and not Bains.

I don't think they did Raty any favours by using him as the 3C instead of just putting Blueger there in his normal role and giving Raty softer looks as the 4C to get acclimatized.

100%

Juulsen is theoretically a low-event #7 defender who you expect to keep things simple and not hurt you when he's in the lineup.

Except he isn't that. He simply cannot help himself from taking himself out of position trying for stupid big hits and makes major positional errors that cost the team in nearly every game he plays.

He did have one decent run of 15-20 games in the middle of last season but before that and since that he's been a total liability. And it's completely at 'take the toy away' stage.

If you're going to have a guy making dumb mistakes to cost goals, it might as well be a guy who creates goals too.

I don’t know why getting out of position for hits seems to be excusable for coaches but not getting out of position to try to create offense

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Walking away from Zadorov was the right decision then, as it is today. It's a whole other discussion that signing Desharnais for 2 million is not a good allotment of salary, but signing a #5 defensemen that can pinch in as your #4 here and there who is turning 30 soon for 5 million aav with term is just objectively not a good idea

Said this in another thread but there are some concerns with regards to Zadorov's character. He's on his 5th team in the past 4 years. He pretty much mailed it in with the Blackhawks, then went to Calgary and proceeded to once again sulk and demand a trade when things went south there....then proceeded to weirdly say he was disrespected by JR/Allvin during negotiations.

I think he was a perfect short-term addition but if this franchise were to sign him and they were to have any setback, he would probably completely mail it in and we'd have a total anchor signed to term.

As you say, he was a decent #5 down the stretch that wanted to be paid as a #3 guy.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As others have mentioned, I don't get the Juulsen thing. He had glimpses of solid play when he was paired with Hughes down the stretch a couple of seasons ago pre-Hronek and a bit over the first half of last season, but has been borderline unplayable for almost a calendar year. I guess its the size and the jawline, but not sure why he's still around over Friedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad