GDT: GM03 | Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning | Tues. Oct 15th | 4pm PST | SNP | Gotta Get It Going

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I've decided that I hope the Canucks lose all 82 games in overtime because it would be funny and record setting.

Winning the cup is boring, it's been done over 100 times. But going 0-0-82? That's impressive and banner worthy.

Reactions: Kryten and Vector

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Silovs probably doesn't deserve the start but you can understand the Canucks wanting to get him back out there. Lankinen won't be around after this season, but Silovs will.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Going to be interesting if Tampa starts flinging everything high blocker from range in this one. If the book is out on Silovs' exploit and he continues letting in those shots, he can't be getting the bulk of the starts.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
To me this is a situation where you ride the hot hand in goal and if a guy plays well he gets the next start.
But does one game make a hot hand? It's game 3. You let Silovs see if he can bounce back. Either way you are likely playing Lankinen the next game anyways and we'll likely see them trading off until the end of the road trip. Then they will likely ride one until Demko is back.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Given the emotional circumstnces surrounding this game, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tampa blows us out of the rink.
I hope I'm wrong, but this just feels like a rough out.

Apparently the team and families are all staying in a hotel together. Too many distractions, but I feel like the Bolts will play fast and loose. Weather the storm and capitalize on chances, cause they will come. 6-4 Canucks.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Apparently the team and families are all staying in a hotel together. Too many distractions, but I feel like the Bolts will play fast and loose. Weather the storm and capitalize on chances, cause they will come. 6-4 Canucks.
I wonder how big the crowd will be tonight. You could be right that what the Bolts are dealing with off the ice could be an understandable distraction, but they're a veteran team, and the fans that make it to the game will be super supportive.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
I've decided that I hope the Canucks lose all 82 games in overtime because it would be funny and record setting.

Winning the cup is boring, it's been done over 100 times. But going 0-0-82? That's impressive and banner worthy.
No thanks. I’ll take the cup over a 3rd overall pick any day of the week

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But does one game make a hot hand? It's game 3. You let Silovs see if he can bounce back. Either way you are likely playing Lankinen the next game anyways and we'll likely see them trading off until the end of the road trip. Then they will likely ride one until Demko is back.

Lankinen was also better in the preseason.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a huge deal or anything.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Bolts have loaded up a line of Point, between Kucherov and Guentzel. And they get the benefit of the last change. Could get ugly out there for some of the Canucks depth d-pairings.

Reactions: bossram and MS

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Also not sure about going with silovs. Not sure if this is the goalie coach making the call or one of the many times Rick over thinks things.

Hopefully he's right on this.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Goalies ultimately are going to rotate. Personally would've preferred Lankinen today, as I think his fundamentals are (currently) better than Silovs, even if his upside is lower.

Big opportunity for Bains. Last year I had an inkling after his start in the AHL they would attempt to eventually use him as a more skilled version of PDG on the top line, where he uses his high motor for puck retrievals but with a bit higher offensive IQ for passing/being in the right place.

Hopefully they were able to use the practice time over the weekend to continue sharpening up & getting ready to increase their battle level. If not, Tampa will take advantage and they'll get ventilated.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

There will invariably be a lean towards Silovs early since he’s the current “goalie of the future” and Lankinen is on a one-year deal.

I am skeptical on Silovs long-term. He’s obviously athletic etc. but his technicals aren’t great, and if he can’t figure out shots from distance he won’t be an NHL goalie.

Lankinen is by most metrics (SV%, GPs etc.) a better goalie right now, though. His technicals have been visibly better thus far.

Reactions: bossram

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
Idk if that’s the kind of confidence booster I’d give a goalie after keeping us in it against Philly. We need all the goalie mojo we can get right now.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
To me this is a situation where you ride the hot hand in goal and if a guy plays well he gets the next start.
Lankenin should be getting the start then. But Tocchet likes Silovs. He did this with DeSmith too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad