GDT: GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers | Fri. Oct 11th | 7pm PST | SNP | Alex Edler Appreciation Day

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A consistent 60 minute effort, win or lose, would be nice. Watching 40+ minutes of soft dump ins to corners with no one going to forecheck them was kind of tough in Game 1. Just keep pushing and hammering at them. The best way to keep the puck away from our shaky back end is to keep it in their end.

Wonder what the end result lineup is going to be here. Have to think they recalled Bains with the intent to play him.

Hope we can pull out a good game for Edler’s big night.

Reactions: calnuck

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Christ. Somehow they managed to downgrade that awful 3rd pairing.

Salary cap, OEL, Poolman and Mikheyev really forcing that. Even if we scraped together enough to upgrade this year the OEL penalty doubles next year so it seriously limits any quality player they could bring in. Add in standard raises for others and yeah ... we're f#*ked there.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think Forbort and Desharnais can be useful players for us, just not on a pairing together. Hughes/Desharnais, Soucy/Hronek and Forbort/Myers should at least be tried I think.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Who's ready for a Forbort - Juulsen pairing!?!?

I don't like betting against my favourite team but there may be some money to be made...

On home ice, so they can be sheltered. I also think the Flames being one of the faster teams in the league really exposes Forbort/Desharnais pairing, something that shouldn't be as big of an issue against the Flyers.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
On home ice, so they can be sheltered. I also think the Flames being one of the faster teams in the league really exposes Forbort/Desharnais pairing, something that shouldn't be as big of an issue against the Flyers.
Flyers are faster and harder working than the flames. Perfect game to see how we stack up vs teams like this

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Flyers are faster and harder working than the flames. Perfect game to see how we stack up vs teams like this

You're right, yeah this one might be tough as well.

Reactions: Bgav

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Salary cap, OEL, Poolman and Mikheyev really forcing that. Even if we scraped together enough to upgrade this year the OEL penalty doubles next year so it seriously limits any quality player they could bring in. Add in standard raises for others and yeah ... we're f#*ked there.
Management knows and will do what they can.
They really need some prospects to develop but the JR/PA regime has had to use some picks to unload JB’s misses and have gone for it. So the cupboard is limited and the team can’t afford to have the few prospects they do have miss.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
Who's ready for a Forbort - Juulsen pairing!?!?

I don't like betting against my favourite team but there may be some money to be made...

I actually prefer it to the Forbort - Desharnais pairing simply because Juulsen played within the Nucks system last year. Two new guys anchoring a pairing in a new team's system is not the fastest way to integrate them in my eyes.

Reactions: Nick Lang

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Said it before, the vomit-inducing stench of Commando Dimbo's Reign of Error shall remain in our faces and up our asses for many years to come.

Reactions: calnuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Said it before, the vomit-inducing stench of Commando Dimbo's Reign of Error shall remain in our faces and up our asses for many years to come.
Should blame Aquillini more since, we all know once he brough JB and co back after 20/21 season that he'd be under pressure to do something vs ride out the bad $12 mill in contracts.

I'm an NFL fan, so dead cap is normal for me to see. But, in the NFL you can both redo contracts plus push unused cap into future years.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Should blame Aquillini more since, we all know once he brough JB and co back after 20/21 season that he'd be under pressure to do something vs ride out the bad $12 mill in contracts.

I'm an NFL fan, so dead cap is normal for me to see. But, in the NFL you can both redo contracts plus push unused cap into future years.

Oh don't you worry, Aquaman is not getting out of this smelling like high heavens, far from it. His hilarious spoiled man-child antics throughout the Reign of Error most certainly, at least in my eyes, eroded what's left of his already pitiful credibility.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh don't you worry, Aquaman is not getting out of this smelling like high heavens, far from it. His hilarious spoiled man-child antics throughout the Reign of Error most certainly, at least in my eyes, eroded what's left of his already pitiful credibility.
I’m a raiders fan from when Mervyn Fernandez went down to play for them.

I blame Mark Davis more than I blame Josh McDaniels, or Gruden, or McKenize/Del Rio for the franchises short comings the past dozen years.

Reactions: Lindgren

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I’m a raiders fan from when Mervyn Fernandez went down to play for them.

I blame Mark Davis more than I blame Josh McDaniels, or Gruden, or McKenize/Del Rio for the franchises short comings the past dozen years.

I for am am thankful that we don't have to cringe at Aquaman's chest pumping tweets while the team is hot burning garbagio, kinda like...

200.gif

Also I'm about as football-literate as a half-eaten baked potato and you just said a whole bunch of names that I don't know.
:laugh:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Management knows and will do what they can.
They really need some prospects to develop but the JR/PA regime has had to use some picks to unload JB’s misses and have gone for it. So the cupboard is limited and the team can’t afford to have the few prospects they do have miss.

Yeah I agree. It's not like our current management is responsible. They are doing the best they can with the shite they were given. I always felt this was the area that would suffer. Imo they will be looking to solidify that spot as we move forward but that it was a necessary evil this year and certainly OEL's ~$5 mil cap the next year will be eating up the cap increase to some degree. I think they will be looking to make a move with the future in mind as we progress ... you can't fix everything at once. Although they tried and addressed a lot in 2 years.

Yup, 5 or 6 more for OEL at the very least. I have faith in this group though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They did the same thing with Raty the previous practice. Had him as the extra forward then played him in the game.
Räty made the season opening lineup because Suter was unable to play.

Suter might be a game time decision again but I guess Baines wasn't necessarily called up for today's game but for the upcoming road trip. You wanna travel with a full roster and Baines is gonna get a chance on that trip.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Any hints who's going to be starter for Canucks?
It’s got to be Lankinen after last game
Sad Šilovs noises... But makes sense, of course.
"Tocchet had sounded last week that his plan was to get Lankinen a game early on, so it would be unfair to automatically connect it to what happened Wednesday if Lankinen gets the call in the cage versus the Flyers."

I too have suspected Lankinen would start since Tocchet's comments last week.

Reactions: ellja3 and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Räty cracked the lineup because Suter was unable to play.

Suter might be a game time decision again but I guess Baines wasn't necessarily called up for today's game but for the upcoming road trip. You wanna travel with a full roster and Baines is gonna get a chance on that trip.

Problem is that doesn't make sense cap wise. If Bains wasn't going to play today, and they may not play him because teams do things that I don't understand all the time, they could have waited a few days and called him tomorrow or whichever day they travel on.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Problem is that doesn't make sense cap wise. If Bains wasn't going to play today, and they may not play him because teams do things that I don't understand all the time, they could have waited a few days and called him tomorrow or whichever day they travel on.
I suspect Suter is gonna be a game time decision again and there may be some other question marks we're not aware of. They might need Baines today even though, by the looks of it, that's probably not plan A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad