Post-Game Talk: GM02 | Canucks lose to Flyers in SO | 2-3 (Hoglander & Blueger) | Winless Streak

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Seems I’m in the minority but thought the overall performance at even strength was pretty good even though there were some weak performances. The baseline should be pretty low when you have Juulsen playing as a top-4 defender and Forbert playing 18 minutes.

Special teams were clearly a problem though.

The entire fourth line could be playing higher up in the lineup. Blueger won’t because they need him at centre but Sherwood definitely should.

I’m guessing Sprong is benched next game but if he’s not he’s got to play on a different line. Still think the best role for him is with two strong defensive players who need someone who need help with finishing. Would be interested to see him with Blueger and someone like Heinen.

Overall it was fine, but if the top 6 aren't the lines generating chances its a lot tougher to convert that edge in even strength play into a W.

Completely agree re: the defense, but it's also a bit terrifying when an injury to Myers already forces Hughes into 30 minute territory.

Do think a lot of people need to touch some grass though, getting overly worked up aboutt two OT losses to start a season means this will be a long season for some people.

Reactions: mossey3535

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's not really saying much. Whoever is the other winger on that line needs to play that role.

He's been invisible for the most part.

Did you see the post I was responding to? Because Loui Eriksson would rather get caught with a goat than be the first one in on a forecheck.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Pettersson - didn't think he was terrible but almost seems now a kind of defensive player with limited offense. Beginning to believe that, at this stage of his career, this is what he is. High hopes people had now seem unwarranted. Real sad growing reality.
Oh god that's extra depressing hearing that coming from you

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

4x.webp

It's okay! We just can't lose a single game in regulation after leading for two periods from now on!

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Good first period again but team defense and structure was pretty bad after that. Game was only close because Philly failed to capitalize on great chances and Lankinen was very good. Lankinen should definitely get the next start.

Top forwards were pretty much useless offensively. Pettersson was again solid defensively but again, not what you expect from a player with his price tag. PP lacked assertiveness; should try to go through Petey a bit more to get him going (as long as he's willing to shoot, which the coaches should be drilling into him).

Solid effort from most of our bottom-6 guys as others have mentioned. 4th line looked good together but I'd try Sherwood with Miller and Boeser to see if his tenacity can give that line a spark.

Hughes has been horrendous on the offensive blueline so far.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Flames fan here: I think overall the Nucks were the better team against the Flames, outside of sitting back on a 4-1 lead, part of which was blown due to Silovs not being good, and most of it because the 3rd pairing was really bad. It happens, easiest thing to improve on. I saw a bit of the Flyers-Nucks game and overall I think the Nucks were the better team, but not by too much. I still think Nucks will make the playoffs, just not win division.

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Flames fan here: I think overall the Nucks were the better team against the Flames, outside of sitting back on a 4-1 lead, part of which was blown due to Silovs not being good, and most of it because the 3rd pairing was really bad. It happens, easiest thing to improve on. I saw a bit of the Flyers-Nucks game and overall I think the Nucks were the better team, but not by too much. I still think Nucks will make the playoffs, just not win division.
Appreciate the insight, also, while we have you here, you think there is any reason for concern regarding Pettersson ?

thanks

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Much better game tonight, 2 games 2 ties not great not terrible, it’s October hockey we’ll hit full stride after 6 or 7 games, pretty optimistic actually, if Canucks win both of these coin flips in OT we’d be talking about how great they are, decent start in hindsight, 2 games 2 points.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Team structure needs some big time work. Lankinen had to be excellent to cover up for some very sloppy hockey. Forecheck was increasingly not there and Flyers were coming out of their zone with growing ease as the game went on. Having one of the main defensemen go down (and that spill looked ugly) was the one of the last things this team needed. Finally most of the shoot out attempts were feeble.

Good

Garland - never has a bad game. Effective in every zone. One player keeping us in the game.

Hoglander - real nice goal and good hustle to force the play in the Flyers end. Seems to wear down some as a game goes on (or maybe loses continuity given the lack of use on special teams). Might question stamina.

Lankinen - kept the team in it. Coverage in our zone was, in many cases, awful.

Blueger - providing some glue to keep the team together. Looked to be providing as much offense as anyone and PK work, per usual, was outstanding.

Hughes - thought he was good both ways. Tilted the ice in favor of the Canucks when he was out. Hronek was good as well.

Soucy - like others he was continually covering up for botched coverage by the forwards and their inability to get the puck out. Thought he moved the puck from the back well. Not perfect but he was bailing out others a lot.

Bad

Strong - not doing enough offensively to make up for defensive lapses. Got benched after the tieing goal. Might be better with Miller and Boeser. Certainly has more offensive potential than Heinen. Same old story for Sprong. Makes a mistake and he is immediately in the doghouse. If this is going to work (and that's a big IF) then needs to be played through mistakes. Not like others weren't making bad decisions. It's just that Sprong has such a bad track record.

Heinen - not good at all 5 on 5 and simply brutal on the PK . Team is doing a good job of killing penalty with players like Blueger and then they put Heinen out and the PK turns to crap.

Miller - just out of sync. Very little flow in his play. Lack of pre-season play now looks a mistake. Passing at time was very shoddy.

Others

Raty - barely threading water. Can't get ahead of the play and thus gets near nothing done.

Forbert - really wasn't that bad. Got himself forward in the neutral zone to break up plays and keep puck in the Philadelphia zone. Thought coverage was much improved

Juulsen - another who stepped up his game and played at an acceptable level. Never expect much but he was ok in this one.

Pettersson - didn't think he was terrible but almost seems now a kind of defensive player with limited offense. Beginning to believe that, at this stage of his career, this is what he is. High hopes people had now seem unwarranted. Real sad growing reality.

At this point, many of the off-season acquistions are questionable and the fears that some had of a regression, look justified.

Mostly agree with your points here.

Would also like to point out I thought Sherwood had a strong game. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a go with Miller and Boeser - could find success since he's basically a better version of PDG.

Really questionable with what's going on with #40.... he seems disinterested and just kind of floats around during the play.... no real determination or drive coming from him. Concerning to say the least. Would be interesting to see where the team slots in Joshua once he is healthy - could spark Petey

Sherwood - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Hoglander -Raty - Garland
Heinen - Bleuger - Suter

Biggest concern right now is #40's play... this team isn't going anywhere with how he's playing currently (for the last 40+ games or so)

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Mostly agree with your points here.

Would also like to point out I thought Sherwood had a strong game. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a go with Miller and Boeser - could find success since he's basically a better version of PDG.

Really questionable with what's going on with #40.... he seems disinterested and just kind of floats around during the play.... no real determination or drive coming from him. Concerning to say the least. Would be interesting to see where the team slots in Joshua once he is healthy - could spark Petey

Sherwood - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Hoglander -Raty - Garland
Heinen - Bleuger - Suter

Biggest concern right now is #40's play... this team isn't going anywhere with how he's playing currently (for the last 40+ games or so)
Ep 40 a road trip in Abby wake the f..ker up

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
heinen sucked thought he looked disinterested the past 2 games. maybe shuffle the lines around. myers hopefully is okay but looks bad. vd goes back in. playing hughes and hronek every 2nd shift this early is troublesome. lankienen was good stood tall and made some big saves. 11.6million dollarman is a ghost. i'd scratch him in favor for bains no seriously. he falls down alot. is it too late for patrick allvin to give justin schultz or kevin shattenkirk a call?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00