GDT: GM#5: The Half smokes @ the Cheesesteaks - 6pm?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
1 and 2 are Trotz and Boudreau for me and they're both pretty interchangeable. Trotz coming in in 2014 was exactly what that group needed and while he had a stacked roster he got them results (and obviously won a cup ...), Boudreau is maybe the most underrated coach in NHL history and while he had some pretty notable playoff shortcomings he won two presidents trophies playing completely different brands of hockey with a defense corps that was uhh ... not the best.

3 is Oates, who was below average at the tactical/team management aspect of the job but incredible at helping individual players improve their skills -- none more than Ovi. Don't think it's a stretch to say that without some of the adjustments he made to Ovi's game the Gretzky chase isn't possible. Oates also doesn't get enough credit for revolutionizing powerplays with the 1-3-1 to such incredible success that you hardly ever see anyone above the pewee (!!!) level run anything different these days.

As for Carbs vs. Lavy -- I know Lavy's last year ended poorly and a lot of people in the media (and particularly from a certain four-lettered site) didn't like the way he interacted with them. That being said, he got the absolute best for two years out of a roster that was way past its expiration date and lottery-caliber goaltending. He completely outcoached a record-breaking Panthers team in a series that was probably a Hathaway empty-netter one inch to the right away from going the other way and had the team playing very well with a 21-13-5 record through the new year in 22-23 when he lost Carlson to a brutal injury.

Carbs got us into the playoffs last year and played in a style that maximized the roster he had and I think was (slightly) better than the underlying numbers give him credit for, but ultimately the team last year got incredibly lucky/unsustainable results. There were also times, especially early, where his man-on-man system looked like complete suicide last year. I'd like to see him repeat last year's playoff make with a better process before I jump to conclusions.

He's certainly on his way though. Don't think there's been a 5 game stretch where we've looked this good since probably that December 22 run before the Carlson injury.
I know people in the media who liked Lavi. He was to the point and would give it straight to those he respected. I suspect Lavi didn’t really respect Ian and team.

Surprised to see Oates at 3. Ok. He definitely challenged players but better player than coach to me.

Hope Carbs gets to number 1. Only one way to do that.

Their D is a huge strength. JC^2 is working out swimmingly so far. Hopefully when Roy returns he and Fehervary will be a high end #2 pair. And while Sandin is certainly looking like their 6th best D, he and TVR are still a very fine 3rd pair.

They seem good. Exciting times right now!
Roy will make a big difference in top 6, but it is nice to be able to go 8 deep.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also:

1729649094297.gif

Concrete MickFoley gets tonight's game puck with 2 assists, a 70% xG share, and all-around solid play. HMs go to JC^2, Charlie Lindgren, Martin Fehervary, and most of the rest of the team TBH.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
It's easily a vegan combo from an Ethiopian place for me as the standout local fare. DMV is a very underrated food area ... yes no nationally known staple akin to a cheesesteak but pretty great options at every different price point and vibe for almost any cuisine.

Always feels good to beat Philly, another great performance and win

Ohhh, the veggie combo at Dama, the Ethiopian joint by the Pentagon. So good. Yes, DC area scene is good at everything, just have to avoid the wallet inspector places that try to rob you.

For me, Chucky is #1 tonight. Still worried about the PP...it's going to cost us games like last year if it doesn't get fixed.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Good game, Philly isn't very good but they're scrappy and suck to play against. Chucky with his best game so far. BigMac with a big time bout. Power play needs serious work. Can we see Chychrun on PP1 please? If it doesn't work we can always go back.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
I wouldn’t even mind some looks with Chychrun on the boards opposite Ovechkin, open up another real shooting threat on the other side.

Really just anything, it just feels stagnant

Reactions: TheSmokingMan

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
4th… what do you have on dance card:

1. Trotz - won cup so ok. Not sure he was that great
2. Carbs - he did the impossible and got caps in playoffs last year. Trending well. Still more impact than others and this will trend up
3. Lavi - I liked Lavi as the choice. It did not go well.
4. Bruce - lots of offense there. Maybe I would have him at 3.
I think Laviolette is kinda underrated by the fanbase. He was handcuffed by the goaltending and the rapid decline of the #1 & 2C’s.

Would’ve been interesting to see how the team fared in ‘19 and ’20 had they been able to land Lavi instead of Reirden. Then again, if Reirden hadn’t already been promised the job, I think Trotz would’ve extended after the cup win. But I digress.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
March 8, 2006 was the last time that the Caps scored two shorties in a game:

One was an ENG though, so not quite the same.

The last time they did it without an ENG was March 6, 2001 against the Isles. The second one was with 35 seconds remaining, but the Caps were up 3 and Rick DiPietro evidently hadn't been pulled. Future Cap Zdeno Chara played in that one.

The last time they had two in the same period was March 23, 2000 against the Rangers, both by rookie Jeff Halpern, but with one of them being an ENG. Apparently the Caps really like doing this in March.

The last time they had two in the same period without an ENG was December 4, 1998 against the Isles. Those weren't just the same period, but on the same PK! Chara played in this one too.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Honestly McMichael has probably been what, the 2nd best forward on the Caps so far this year behind Strome?

Yes, agreed. I thought it was nuts that he kept popping up as trade fodder all summer. You don't part with a young asset like McMichael who hasn't reached his full potential. Moves like that almost always come back to bite you in the behind.

Reactions: Calicaps

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
PP1 is still ass. JFC, how many years until someone questions why Carlson is still on the point and why OV gets 2 minutes to stand still.

Philly sucks, that is all
I wish we would put Ovie in the Bumper, Carlson and Chychrun at the points with them switching and moving between their circle shooting positions to the top, then have PLD and Strome Orchestrate from down low and the half wall. Ovie in the shooting position is going to draw a lot of traffic to the front of the net, giving the others more room to make plays, while Carlson and Chychrun bomb shots and make backdoor moves from the point/sides. They need to change something, because the current setup is stale as f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad