GDT: GM#5: The Half smokes @ the Cheesesteaks - 6pm?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Chychrun was such a brilliant pick-up. Have to lock him up no question.

Seems kind of clear to me that the weakest links at this stage are Sandin and Lapierre.

Solid road effort. The PP needs to get going again, mostly executing faster, shooting and crashing for rebounds.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It's easily a vegan combo from an Ethiopian place for me as the standout local fare. DMV is a very underrated food area ... yes no nationally known staple akin to a cheesesteak but pretty great options at every different price point and vibe for almost any cuisine.

Always feels good to beat Philly, another great performance and win
Yeah, the DC Metro food scene is deep. I think it's top 5ish in the country. The District proper is limited compared to other International cities only because of its size handicap.

Reactions: qc14

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He's in a tie for 4th right now with Lavy for me but on track to pass him and Oates this year

*ducks around corner*
4th… what do you have on dance card:

1. Trotz - won cup so ok. Not sure he was that great
2. Carbs - he did the impossible and got caps in playoffs last year. Trending well. Still more impact than others and this will trend up
3. Lavi - I liked Lavi as the choice. It did not go well.
4. Bruce - lots of offense there. Maybe I would have him at 3.

Reactions: qc14

Jun 15, 2007
I always thought CMM would be good. Couldn't figure out why he was struggling the past few years. Glad it seems like he's finally found it.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not worried about Ovi. He hasn’t been given many good looks and he’s known to be streaky. He could go on a 20 goal in 30 games stretch and chip away at the record. He’s got 150+ games left to score 40 goals.
You think he’s going to retire before he gets the record? Close to zero chance I see that happening.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I always thought CMM would be good. Couldn't figure out why he was struggling the past few years. Glad it seems like he's finally found it.
NHL game is a grind. He needed to mature physically and improve skating…he’s done that, now reaping rewards.

Reactions: DWGie26

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I want you to put the word out there that we back up.
1729645961946.gif

Reactions: Marshall

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

2. Carbs - he did the impossible and got caps in playoffs last year. Trending well. Still more impact than others and this will trend up
Lavi gets moved down a bit. He did not get away from McCarthy soon enough and it hurt our team because of it.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Either that or it’s a reality check to put the work in over the offseason.
He is not going to change his prep routine after 20 seasons. He’ll continue drinking sodas and eating cheetos too. I believe that Ovi will still put an earnest effort, but if he fails to break the record, I don’t think that he would be overly disappointed. His fans will be though.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
PLD has been totally fine so far

Don’t look at points and goals at this point, when he’s on the ice, the offense is creating chances and he’s been creating some strong plays with his body
PLD is buying into the system and that is what is important for an offensive skilled player like him that is not regarded being good at back-checking. The points will come. His cap hit will hit will blind some ppl see how fairly good he's fitting in.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Chychrun was such a brilliant pick-up. Have to lock him up no question.

Seems kind of clear to me that the weakest links at this stage are Sandin and Lapierre.

Solid road effort. The PP needs to get going again, mostly executing faster, shooting and crashing for rebounds.
Give Chych the 8 x 8.

I’d be totally fine with packaging Sandin at some point, but with Cristall, Miro, and Leonard on the way next year, do they really have room for another long-term FWD option? They definitely need top-end talent and could reshuffle the deck in preemptive or proactive moves, but I’m not even sure they resign Mangi given the high-end glut en route.

Lapi will be fine IMO, think he just needs some time. Something I just don’t like about having Vrana and Mangi together.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015

I’m not a lavy hater, but his time with the caps didn’t line up well with the roster composition.. he just didn’t provide much value to the ovie era. I got 1) trotz for the cup. 2) Bruce for the years of run and gun offense. Then everyone else. Carbs is going to be really good, just need more time from him to to cement it. He’s got great philosophy m, strategy, command of the team. Personable. Really like him.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024

1 and 2 are Trotz and Boudreau for me and they're both pretty interchangeable. Trotz coming in in 2014 was exactly what that group needed and while he had a stacked roster he got them results (and obviously won a cup ...), Boudreau is maybe the most underrated coach in NHL history and while he had some pretty notable playoff shortcomings he won two presidents trophies playing completely different brands of hockey with a defense corps that was uhh ... not the best.

3 is Oates, who was below average at the tactical/team management aspect of the job but incredible at helping individual players improve their skills -- none more than Ovi. Don't think it's a stretch to say that without some of the adjustments he made to Ovi's game the Gretzky chase isn't possible. Oates also doesn't get enough credit for revolutionizing powerplays with the 1-3-1 to such incredible success that you hardly ever see anyone above the pewee (!!!) level run anything different these days.

As for Carbs vs. Lavy -- I know Lavy's last year ended poorly and a lot of people in the media (and particularly from a certain four-lettered site) didn't like the way he interacted with them. That being said, he got the absolute best for two years out of a roster that was way past its expiration date and lottery-caliber goaltending. He completely outcoached a record-breaking Panthers team in a series that was probably a Hathaway empty-netter one inch to the right away from going the other way and had the team playing very well with a 21-13-5 record through the new year in 22-23 when he lost Carlson to a brutal injury.

Carbs got us into the playoffs last year and played in a style that maximized the roster he had and I think was (slightly) better than the underlying numbers give him credit for, but ultimately the team last year got incredibly lucky/unsustainable results. There were also times, especially early, where his man-on-man system looked like complete suicide last year. I'd like to see him repeat last year's playoff make with a better process before I jump to conclusions.

He's certainly on his way though. Don't think there's been a 5 game stretch where we've looked this good since probably that December 22 run before the Carlson injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad