Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Oilers Win 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
I thought we were the better team tonight but sadly the shootout doesn’t care for that. I’d rather have 2vs2 then 1vs1…yes I know they have McDavid but at least it’s actual hockey unlike the shootout.

Reactions: bbud

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
yea I liked Garlands game tonight as well, I really don’t understand the negative talk around him, he’s a lot like Hoglander and I love that type of player!. I think he’s going to be a solid piece. A lot of this is coaching mistakes and using the pre-season to look at a bunch of plugs instead of focusing on the core guys.

I agree. I see Garland being a little sparkplug this upcoming season. I think two undersized players such as Garland/Hoglander who are feisty and never quit, will be annoying as hell to play against. I thought Garland had a decent game tonight.

Reactions: bh53 and iFan

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
THE GOOD -

Hoglander - Dynamic since the start of the game, Made multiple plays along the boards, Spot on with his passing, and came out with a statement tonight. All Over the ice tonight
Poolman - In my opinion our best Defender tonight, Steady would be a understatement, Won every puck battle along the boards, Good breakout passing, Literally the perfect Defensive D game.
OEL - Great first impression, Skated miles tonight, Has a knack of getting pucks through the net, which helped on the goal tonight with the deflection. This is not a Loui Situation, The guy also showed some serious grit as well, Promising start.
Burroughs - Surprising game honestly, Multiple solid reads during the game, seemed confident with the puck and has some nice defensive plays in the neutral zone.
Myers - (Not the best game but he took out Keith, that's a good section for me tonight)
Rathbone - Looked good alongside Burroughs, One thing I notice with him is the confidence when he steps on the ice, it's evident, and made some solid offensive reads tonight.
Demko - He was as solid as you can be, Read the plays well, and looked like a legit top 10 goalie tonight.

THE BAD -

Pettersson - had a tough game, seemed a bit off, stationary on the PP, and even tho he looks confident, defintely needs more time to get back into the thick of things. I thought he was pretty poor in OT minus a few incredible moves.
Coaching - The line ups made absolutely no sense, Not sure what green was thinking with the 1st and 2nd PP unit, Hoglander needs and deserves more opportunity.
Chiasson - The guy was not a NHL player tonight, I am sorry, but his reads are slow, skating is slow, hands are slow, Has a decent shot but panics under pressure, Was very disappointed with him tonight.
JT Miller - So many turnovers, I dono how many forced plays he made, but we got the bad Miller tonight, I fully expect we get the good one next game, Such a interesting player.

THE MEH?
Garland - Fiesty, Worked hard a majority of his shifts, hes a bit of an asshole on the puck, and got a point.
But he made some poor reads, mostly when he had the puck trying to breakout, He needs a steady partner, needs chemistry.

Love the summary. But I think it should also be mentioned that Lamikko and Dickinson look like good pieces for their roles. 1 game and all, but I like them!

Reactions: bh53

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Its amazing how people and the media buy the fake persona that green is some kind of elite coach

he is a sub 500 lifetime nhl coach !!!!! 5 years running and is still employed

and i swear he is getting worse not better

Reactions: bh53 and mriswith

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Somewhat underwhelming performance. Had a strong 3rd period - both goals were flukes but they did take the play to Edmonton. Overall the pace of the game was nowhere near the level of the Seattle-Vegas game last night.

- on one hand, the team looked good defensively and did a good job gumming up Draisaitl/McDavid. Looked miles better defensively than in the preseason.

- on the other hand ... the incompetence of the line combos was absolutely stunning. There isn't much more you can say about it. If you were intentionally trying to sabotage your team you couldn't do a much better job.

- Hoglander was the best player on the ice despite being chained to two grinders for most of the night. Was promoted in the 3rd and instantly picked up two assists. This player should be on the top line and might be our best ES player right now.

- Miller was awful. Played like he was drunk or just didn't care. So many turnovers and stupid plays. Very poor.

- Pettersson was also mostly poor. Did a couple nice things but wasn't moving his feet. And never moves his feet on the PP. Someone needs to tell him that he isn't Ovechkin.

- Chiasson is trash. As someone said in the GDT, guys like him and Pearson (and to be fair, quite possibly Gadjovich) can look good in the preseason against AHLers but in a real NHL pace get left totally behind. Absurd watching this player on the top PP unit but even worse watching him struggle to skate in the role he was asked to play at ES. Junk.

- Horvat line was very quiet. Pearson struggled most of the night. Garland was trying hard but there didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry there.

- Dickinson is very positionally sound. But if he's playing C on a 3rd line, that line won't score any goals. I'm not sure if he's had a scoring chance yet in 5-6 games including preseason. Highmore played like 15 minutes and I don't remember him doing a thing. These guys did do well defensively ... but also squandered having a rampaging Hoglander on their line most of the night.

- I tried watching Lammikko closely ... and still barely noticed him. Seemed to be in the right places defensively.

- Dowling was actually pretty good, even on the PP. No complaints with his game.

- Podkolzin struggled and only played 7 minutes. If this becomes a pattern, he's better served in Abbotsford.

- Rathbone-Burroughs pairing was excellent and probably should have played more. Big development for the team if they can tread water. Burroughs is showing more skill than his AHL numbers would suggest he had.

- Hughes was crap but then scored. Had a very similar careless, lazy game to Miller but it's still a bit taboo to say it. Lots of turnovers, a couple breakaways conceded. Very soft turnover on the 1-0 goal. Was taken off the PP1 after a couple ineffective PPs. Needs to be better than this.

- OEL was excellent. Actually seems to be giving a crap rather than quitting on plays constantly the way he was in Arizona. Did very well tonight and was the team's best defender. Myers also played mostly well aside from the rough shift with Hughes on the opening goal. And obviously smashing Keith was awesome.

- Poolman was solid. Made a couple mistakes but was mostly in the right places.

- Demko was outstanding and wasn't talked about enough on the broadcast. With average goaltending, we don't get a point.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
So happy we got the point. OEL on pace for 82 goals. Life is good.

Pearson is so vanilla. Should be in a bottom 6 role by the looks of it.

Reactions: LiveeviL

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Its amazing how people and the media buy the fake persona that green is some kind of elite coach

he is a sub 500 lifetime nhl coach !!!!! 5 years running and is still employed

and i swear he is getting worse not better

I think even Green has bought in on this idea that he’s some top coach too.

it’s early but I do think Benning had a great offseason if these new players keep this level of play up. Dumping our trash and getting OEL and Garland out of it is looking like a robbery. Pool man had a strong showing. If Benning could replace Green with a legit coach I may be able to support him, at least a little bit. But our coaching staff is a huge weakness. With the players we have, our PP should be doing MUCH better than what it has shown, especially against the Oilers defence.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
New season, same story. Can’t get anything going all game, fluke goal in the last few minutes to force OT and get a Bettman point. Nothing ever changes.

Myers taking out Keith by far the highlight of the game.

It's crazy how often this has happened over the past 3 years.

And it speaks to poor coaching that they can so constantly fall behind so insipidly with such poor ES play through 50 minutes and then actually push the play and execute and score goals when they need to.

Reactions: Svencouver

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
No joke it feels like a win. If OEL plays like this, it means we actually have a top pair.

We were in control of the flow of the game for the most part. Oilers do not look dangerous beyond McDavid himself.

JT Miller was a big no show, Pearson has no creativity and finish. Highmore Dowling and Chiasson are undeserving of ice time. But Poolman, Garland, Burroughs, Rathbone are all better than expected. Pod/Dickinson are decent. The original cast are who they are, lead by Hoglander and EP.

Reactions: lousy

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I want to point out that a couple of weeks ago I asked whether Burroughs could be a Tanev light.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
myers destroying keith was highlight of the night. oel was good. petey hughes a bit rusty. miller was terrible, turnovers. garland was okay feisty guy only game 1 of 82 season.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Bad look for Green not rewarding a player with 2 points to even be the 4th or 5th shooter

the announcers even questioned it.

but that’s his coaching style.

Hoglander was a beast tonight, why the f*** wasn’t he one of the 5 shooters!? Green is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad