Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Oilers Win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It’s game one so I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I think having OEL Hughes and Rathbone is going to be a hell of a show for our D’s ability to run the offence. Pool man has look steady as well, too bad about Hamonic because that could’ve rounded out the D nicely. I’m really annoyed with our coaching staff, the PP is under performing and Green is using/awarding the wrong forwards

I said it in the GDT but worth repeating, the Nucks win the game with proper coaching.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
For everyone who has been down on Garland, I thought he played better than Pettersson. Pettersson did absolutely nothing other than his beautiful deke in the final minutes of ot.

Demko, Ekman Larsson, Poolman, Hoglander, Burroughs, Rathbone were great.

Miller, Pettersson, Chaisson, Hughes "although scoring" were not.

Exciting first game, happy to get point out of this one.

F*** Green.

GO CANUCKS!!!
I disagree..EP had had a handful of moves that were elite level in this game..

Reactions: bh53 and Bankerguy

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
When players have low confidence they may bobble the puck, hesitate, not read the play... etc.. but when JT Miller is low confidence he is toxic and self-destructive.
Its really ugly to watch. Having played hockey myself, some players when frustrated just ooze negativity..to a point where they really do become self destructive. He purposely missed a pass because it was 1 foot off target but still well within his grasp. Thats something the average viewer may not notice. He also "off-looked" a pass to Chaisson, meaning he signalled it was going to him (and it was the right play as he was the only open forward) and instead fired it to Petey in double coverage. This was 1 shift after Chaisson didnt see Jt Miller dart open (chaisson missed it by accident, not intentional). He also fired a way too hard pass at poolman out of frustration for bobbling the puck earlier that shift.
I would legit bench him for a game... he's supposed to be a leader.... cmon... ugh. When he's off his game, he's just so toxic

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Wont be that negative cuz there were some signs of positive progress. They came out really strong and the D and bottom 6 were highlights instead of sore spots. Hopefully as Hughes and Petey shake off the cobwebs and get their conditioning in gear and Boeser slots back in the top 6 will be firing on all cylinders too. Despite some rust from the two missing camp, I actually thought they looked like they were settling in nicely. Hughes especially seemed to have some poise and keen decision making on the defensive end that was really encouraging. There is a recipe for some success in this lineup if all pieces come into place all at once; but as always I have pretty serious doubts about this coaching staff getting it done

Reactions: bh53

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Liked

OEL
Burroughs
Rathbone
Höglander
Horvat
Demko
Poolman
Podkolzin
Lammiko
Dickinson

didn’t like

Miller
Garland
Hughes
Chiasson
Pearson

rest were neutral

thought dowling was overplayed on the PP

Reactions: Grantham

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pleasantly surprised by the defence, solid game overall as a collective unit. The offence (and powerplay) is a concern, the pieces are there, just not placed right.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
THE GOOD -

Hoglander - Dynamic since the start of the game, Made multiple plays along the boards, Spot on with his passing, and came out with a statement tonight. All Over the ice tonight
Poolman - In my opinion our best Defender tonight, Steady would be a understatement, Won every puck battle along the boards, Good breakout passing, Literally the perfect Defensive D game.
OEL - Great first impression, Skated miles tonight, Has a knack of getting pucks through the net, which helped on the goal tonight with the deflection. This is not a Loui Situation, The guy also showed some serious grit as well, Promising start.
Burroughs - Surprising game honestly, Multiple solid reads during the game, seemed confident with the puck and has some nice defensive plays in the neutral zone.
Myers - (Not the best game but he took out Keith, that's a good section for me tonight)
Rathbone - Looked good alongside Burroughs, One thing I notice with him is the confidence when he steps on the ice, it's evident, and made some solid offensive reads tonight.
Demko - He was as solid as you can be, Read the plays well, and looked like a legit top 10 goalie tonight.

THE BAD -

Pettersson - had a tough game, seemed a bit off, stationary on the PP, and even tho he looks confident, defintely needs more time to get back into the thick of things. I thought he was pretty poor in OT minus a few incredible moves.
Coaching - The line ups made absolutely no sense, Not sure what green was thinking with the 1st and 2nd PP unit, Hoglander needs and deserves more opportunity.
Chiasson - The guy was not a NHL player tonight, I am sorry, but his reads are slow, skating is slow, hands are slow, Has a decent shot but panics under pressure, Was very disappointed with him tonight.
JT Miller - So many turnovers, I dono how many forced plays he made, but we got the bad Miller tonight, I fully expect we get the good one next game, Such a interesting player.

THE MEH?
Garland - Fiesty, Worked hard a majority of his shifts, hes a bit of an asshole on the puck, and got a point.
But he made some poor reads, mostly when he had the puck trying to breakout, He needs a steady partner, needs chemistry.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
For everyone who has been down on Garland, I thought he played better than Pettersson. Pettersson did absolutely nothing other than his beautiful deke in the final minutes of ot.

Demko, Ekman Larsson, Poolman, Hoglander, Burroughs, Rathbone were great.

Miller, Pettersson, Chaisson, Hughes "although scoring" were not.

Exciting first game, happy to get point out of this one.

F*** Green.

GO CANUCKS!!!

yea I liked Garlands game tonight as well, I really don’t understand the negative talk around him, he’s a lot like Hoglander and I love that type of player!. I think he’s going to be a solid piece. A lot of this is coaching mistakes and using the pre-season to look at a bunch of plugs instead of focusing on the core guys.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
New season, same story. Can’t get anything going all game, fluke goal in the last few minutes to force OT and get a Bettman point. Nothing ever changes.

Myers taking out Keith by far the highlight of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad