GDT: GM#1: lil Debbies @ Capitals 7pm-ish

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Special Teams was a positive. 3rd line needs to be reworked. HL is not ready to be a pivot yet. I hope Roy injury is not long term. I like CMM/Dubios/Wilson, but you basically have 2 centers playing on one line. OV badly needs a setup man for his still good shot.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Third line gave the coaching staff plenty of excuses to bench one of them in favor of Vrana
Sure but with that sort of match-up I'm not sure that's what's needed really. Good to have speed and a finisher in theory but...I dunno. Just a pretty meh team still from a dynamic standpoint. Scrambly, as to be expected, but that goes for both sides. NJD had more than a few Grade As they didn't convert which could have made this one even uglier.

Positives were Carlson, McMichael, Wilson I suppose and Strome. But plenty of neutral to negatives to go around.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Growing pains were expected tonight - 1/3 of the team playing their first game with the Caps, with a full week off beforehand, against a very good team with 3 games under their belt to gel, and then losing a key D early on to throw the pairings out of whack too. I like the top 6, aside from Ovie not managing a single shot attempt. Special teams look fantastic. Third line needs work but there’s cap space to make a move if needed. I’m still optimistic.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm a bit puzzled about how the 3rd line was put together? Protas is a solid 2-way winger(hoping he shoots the puck more this season), HL he has good offensive skills but is weak on the back-check. Milano is a flashy player, but not good back-checking either. I thought you want your 3rd line to be a checking line, but able to chip in some goals. The line needs a bit experience to lead/teach the younger guys.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
We keep calling the Lapierre line the 3rd line, but honestly they’re the 4th line. Protas played 10.5 minutes, Lapi under 8, Milano under 6. Meanwhile Dowd played 17, Duhaime 15, Raddysh 12.

Anyway, I agree that Milano/Vrana really aren’t the ideal compliment to Lapi-Protas. I think that line’s basically just the spare parts that had to go together because they ran out of room for more additions. It’s a shame the Kuzy contract termination didn’t go through until most of the free agents had signed, cause they really could’ve used a 2-3M veteran LW to be a stabilizing presence there.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1728790637516.gif

Stop if you've heard this before: Dylan Strome with another well-earned game puck. Honorable mentions to Tom Wilson, Connor McMichael, and John Carlson.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We keep calling the Lapierre line the 3rd line, but honestly they’re the 4th line. Protas played 10.5 minutes, Lapi under 8, Milano under 6. Meanwhile Dowd played 17, Duhaime 15, Raddysh 12.

Anyway, I agree that Milano/Vrana really aren’t the ideal compliment to Lapi-Protas. I think that line’s basically just the spare parts that had to go together because they ran out of room for more additions. It’s a shame the Kuzy contract termination didn’t go through until most of the free agents had signed, cause they really could’ve used a 2-3M veteran LW to be a stabilizing presence there.
HL is not gonna hold up as the center for that line. I lightly followed preseason, but it seemed from what you guys said, HL looked a bit lost. Maybe he needs another year in Hershey?

I have to ask, is Strome right for OV? Strome can drive more on his own. OV because of his age really needs a setup man with 2 years left.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad