Proposal: Giordano

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why not. Its not like the Flames are trying to be competitive for the next few years. Sign him to a cheap 1 yr contract and let him retire as a Flame. Then find a spot for him in the organization when he retires. I'm sure he will help the Flames younger players both on and off the ice.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't think he'd want to come back. I think he still wants to win so he's waiting to see if he can find a spot on a contender.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
He's completely washed and would rather give a guy in the AHL the minutes to see what we have.

There's a spot for him in the scouting department or management though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's completely washed and would rather give a guy in the AHL the minutes to see what we have.

2.2 Goals against per 60 is what he's giving up the last 2 seasons while supposedly washed. Better by quite a bit than every defenseman on our roster by over half a goal against per 60. He has no offensive game left, but he can still defend.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kind of wonder if there was something between Gio and guys like Backlund. No idea, but signing in Calgary would be a pretty smart move. Sign a year, show you have something left in the tank, get traded to a contender looking for depth.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
2.2 Goals against per 60 is what he's giving up the last 2 seasons while supposedly washed. Better by quite a bit than every defenseman on our roster by over half a goal against per 60. He has no offensive game left, but he can still defend.
Tonight I told my nephew to make sure he Mark Giordano’s before dinner.

He’s completely washed. We’re in the development game now. Get with the program.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We just fixed our locker room. Why would we make it messy again by bringing back our ex-captain who probably should have retired 2-3 years ago

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tonight I told my nephew to make sure he Mark Giordano’s before dinner.

He’s completely washed. We’re in the development game now. Get with the program.
Yes it's very important to our development to have Pachal, Hanley and Jake Bean there. We're developing them into superstars and they really have great things to teach the young guys.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know, Pachal occasionally looks competent and he's only 24. Should play him a lot see what happens.
He's fine as a bottom pairing 6/7. He's not going to be part of anyone's core moving forward and he's not going to help anyone develop. I'd keep him over Hanley for sure, just saying Giordano at least does one of those 2 things.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He's fine as a bottom pairing 6/7. He's not going to be part of anyone's core moving forward and he's not going to help anyone develop. I'd keep him over Hanley for sure, just saying Giordano at least does one of those 2 things.
Play Gio 30-ish games, and the other 50 games he's behind the bench as an Assistant Coach.

Best of both worlds IMO

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Giving him the Mike Stone treatment is fair if he's agreeable to it.

I was baffled who "stoney" was when I watched one of those dev camp videos until I realized it was Mike Stone.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Giving him the Mike Stone treatment is fair if he's agreeable to it.

I was baffled who "stoney" was when I watched one of those dev camp videos until I realized it was Mike Stone.
But why even put him on the roster then and instead just give him a developmental role in the coaching staff?

Look I love Gio. Wish he would’ve retired a Flame. Wish we would’ve won with him. But we have a ton of dmen, young guys, AHL guys, fringe guys, who need to show if they have a future on the blue line with us. It’s a new era. Gotta turn the page.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
But why even put him on the roster then and instead just give him a developmental role in the coaching staff?

Look I love Gio. Wish he would’ve retired a Flame. Wish we would’ve won with him. But we have a ton of dmen, young guys, AHL guys, fringe guys, who need to show if they have a future on the blue line with us. It’s a new era. Gotta turn the page.

Wasn't Stone was the 7th man for a while and he'd take a game or two while the kids were acclimating? IIRC he was also helping the kids push the pace of the practices so that they wouldn't be too out of place when it was their turn to step into an NHL game.

It just got a little funky and weird when Sutter suddenly started refusing to play the kids and brought in his 4th line of Z and Gudbranson.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Wasn't Stone was the 7th man for a while and he'd take a game or two while the kids were acclimating? IIRC he was also helping the kids push the pace of the practices so that they wouldn't be too out of place when it was their turn to step into an NHL game.

It just got a little funky and weird when Sutter suddenly started refusing to play the kids and brought in his 4th line of Z and Gudbranson.
I swear people just make stuff up to blame Sutter about. Sutter was the first coach to really give Kylington a chance. What other young defenseman did the Flames have that deserved to be playing full time? Zadorov and Gudbranson were actually a very solid bottom pairing for the Flames.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I swear people just make stuff up to blame Sutter about. Sutter was the first coach to really give Kylington a chance. What other young defenseman did the Flames have that deserved to be playing full time? Zadorov and Gudbranson were actually a very solid bottom pairing for the Flames.

Well. I think I was drunk on this one. You might notice by the fact I said Z and Gudbranson were on the 4th line...

• Haha
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad