Speculation: Giordano wants to play "a few more years"

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It'll only be Toronto and he should take the lowest term possible if that's the case.

Or... he should just sign with the worst team in the league. Or just return to the Flames.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Does he hate his family that much? That's all I can think of when I see players who are well, well past their "best by" dates hanging on into their early 40's.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
We'll take him back in Calgary in a mentor role as a 6/7
Not sure about that. I think he is done and between Weegar, Andersson, Miromanov, and Pachal we have some good right shot D's.

No I think trying to break him into the coaching ranks might an option with the Wranglers (knowing full well he wants to play some more).

Reactions: Dog

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Does he hate his family that much? That's all I can think of when I see players who are well, well past their "best by" dates hanging on into their early 40's.
hard to say no to a six figure salary - even when you've made a bunch and all your shit is paid for

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
There were teams willing to extend Yandle's and Marleau's streaks while they had been skating corpses for years. No wonder other worn out vets think they have few more years left.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why can’t players just give it up? He has been in the league since 2005! Spend time with family. No commitment to the daily regiment of a pro athlete. Plus he just isn’t very good anymore. I don’t get it.
Some guys just enjoy the structured daily life as well as being a part of something that feels meaningful, seasoned veterans aren't bottom of that hierarchy either. After retirement there may quite literally be nothing more than the quiet family time in the horizon, so even a #7 gig in San José can feel like a lifesaver when you don't want to let go.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As usual I'll be in the minority here. I think he can still play. I think he'd be the 4th or 5th best defenseman for the Flames next season. Granted, we only have 3 or 4 top 6 defensemen, but I'd take him on a 1 year league min.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
79119dbc-fcdc-4523-9c16-53af8a67c376_text.gif

Reactions: Kryten

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I didn't read the article but he turns 41 for the upcoming season. I think somebody needs to set some expectations for him.

But I'm sure if he's willing to accept league min again some team might bite.
Pretty much this as the league minimum is worth it but no way does he sign for anything other than a one year contract or any substantial money.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It always baffles me when people want grown adults to stop making hundreds of thousands of dollars doing something they love that isn't immoral. If somebody will have him and he wants to hang on then godspeed.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I thought he'd already retired.

Not sure about that. I think he is done and between Weegar, Andersson, Miromanov, and Pachal we have some good right shot D's.

No I think trying to break him into the coaching ranks might an option with the Wranglers (knowing full well he wants to play some more).
He's a LHD who plays the left side...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Didn't think he was that bad last year... Edmundson was worse and the Leafs played him.

He should be able to crack the top 6 somewhere, just not sure it is Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad