Speculation: Giordano wants to play "a few more years"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lawrence

May 19, 2012
his agent will convince someone to give him a tryout contract and go from there. 41 year old Defencemen not easy, good luck Mark.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If we deal Brannstrom I'd take him as a sens fan just to inject some leadership.

Plus, he'll prob step up his game against the leafs which is a nice plus.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought he'd already retired.

He's a LHD who plays the left side...
Yes. Of course. I don't know what I was thinking.

Nonetheless, if Weegar plays on the left side, we will (or should have) Kylington, Bahl, Hanley, and possibly Solovyov, Poirier, or Kuznetsov.

No room at the inn for Giordano.

Gio is a LD
Yes. Brain cramp..

Reactions: CanadienShark

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
His best fit would be as a 7D who can step in during injuries and play a managed schedule. Ideally on an Eastern conference team with reduced travel. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up in the NY metro on a league min contract.

Reactions: Fatass

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Leafs could resign Mark Giordano at league minimum salary and stash him on waivers as a 8th or 9th defenseman that is only assigned to AHL on paper.

Gio wouldn’t play much if at all in Toronto but he’d still be around the National for 1 more season at the very least.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Why can’t players just give it up? He has been in the league since 2005! Spend time with family. No commitment to the daily regiment of a pro athlete. Plus he just isn’t very good anymore. I don’t get it.
Because there will always be a GM willing to waste a million and a roster spot for "locker room presence" or "leadership".

Reactions: Fatass

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Nonetheless, if Weegar plays on the left side, we will (or should have) Kylington, Bahl, Hanley, and possibly Solovyov, Poirier, or Kuznetsov.

Yes. Brain cramp..
Weegar is a funny one. He's a RHD, but doesn't he often play LD? It's so unusual because often it's opposite if anything where you sometimes see LHD playing RD.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Screams San Jose.

Young team who could use a #7 depth veteran defenseman

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Yes. Brain cramp..
Kylington is the only player you named on the left side who is better than Giordano. I'm not saying we should do it, I prefer someone for 1 year we can get a 2nd round pick for at the TDL. I just think Giordano should have been playing for the Leafs last playoff. It was a mistake. I'd take him over Brodie right now.

He gave up 1.9 GA/60 and 2.4 GA/60 over the last 2 seasons despite heavy Dzone starts. Only Weegar has even close to those defensive numbers on our team right now and his on ice save percentage was .882, this season so it's not like he got saves this season when he was on.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Weegar is a funny one. He's a RHD, but doesn't he often play LD? It's so unusual because often it's opposite if anything where you sometimes see LHD playing RD.
Weegar can play both and I've heard he likes LD a wee bit more.

But if there is a log jam on the left side with some up and comers, to me it comes down to an evaluation of strength (LD vs RD) and where you might be able to part with a D (if necessary) to shore up a problem area elsewhere.

It is my assessment (for what it is worth) that Weegar is the #1D here and that he could make Andersson expendable if the club felt he could bring back a wing or centre.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like if he's desperate to keep playing, Giordano's role at this point is probably more or less as an "extra coach on the ice" as a #6D for some bad, rebuilding team. That sort of role can kind of go either way, as there's value in that experience and veteran mentorship and breakdown of the game. But it can also be a nightmare, when a talented young kid gets handcuffed to this useless old washed up hack who just makes their life immensely more difficult on the ice.

But there are often teams that will spend a few bucks on a guy like that, if they're willing to play that role. Teams like Chicago come to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad